G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

bought 2 rear Nexen 5000 plus tires, should I sell them and buy 4 other brand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bought 2 rear Nexen 5000 plus tires, should I sell them and buy 4 other brand?

Hello all,
About 2-3 months ago I had to buy 2 Nexen N5000 plus tires from Walmart. I had a flat and they couldnt fix it so I had to solve the problem as I was leaving town and my gf was going to stay with the G.

The front tires need to be replaced, I have these 2 Nexen tires which I paid around $281 with taxes, warranty etc.
I have noticed that when I get on a ramp to hit the expressway the rear ABS seem to kick in for half a second and the SLIP light flashes for a second, it doesn't happen all the time but it happens in almost the same turns on my way to work.

I read something about the computer acting up when the thread of the front tires is a lot different than the thread of the rear tires, something about the front tires turning faster than the rear and making the computer hit the ABS and turn on the SLIP. Since the rear tires are new and they are thicker than the front tires(Potenza) I believe that might be the problem.

The current front (used) potenza tires look nicer than the Nexen tires, which are thicker.

So a couple things to ask you guys, am I right on the whole ABS -SLIP thing? can it be the difference in the thread between the rear and the front tires and can the thickness of the tires be causing the ABS to kick in and the SLIP light to flash?

Either way I am replacing the front tires, the way I see it, I have two choices, sell the nexen tires for almost nothing(not sure if anyone has sold used tires before, any advice?) and buy 4 new tires(the SUMITOMO HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED) caught my attention at a good price at Tirerack) OR buy the other 2 nexen N5000 front tires.

I am not going to lie, the Nexen were not my first choice, more like my only choice when I needed to replace a tire.

We are close to Christmas and money would be tight, any suggestions? I hate to lose money.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
My suggestion is to do the math via a spreadsheet in excel and see the price difference in your options. To me it sounds like (cheapest to most expensive):
1. Buy Nexen tires for the front only
2. Buy Sumitomo tires for the front only
3. Buy all 4 new Sumitomo tires

After you have priced it all out (cost, shipping, install) then you can make a better decision, financially.

I think if you are strapped for cash you might as well just go with the cheapest option. However, I never try to skimp on tires since they are super important for safety.

The following users liked this post:
Foxtrot_01 (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
to address the first question,
what is the size of your wheels and the size of the tires you purchased?
Were they the same size as the ones that went flat?

oh and for some good, new, full set of tires deals, look on ebay. sometimes theres some deals there

The following users liked this post:
Foxtrot_01 (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
I'd buy 4 new tires of a different brand

Old 11-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
to address the first question,
what is the size of your wheels and the size of the tires you purchased?
Were they the same size as the ones that went flat?

oh and for some good, new, full set of tires deals, look on ebay. sometimes theres some deals there
The size of all the tires are the stock sizes 225/50 r18 front, 245/50 r18, but the Nexens are a bit thicker, the front used ones are potenzas and have a lower profile.

All four tires were potenzas, and they were getting close to being replaced but the flat on the rear accelerated the process and I had to replace one and you have to replace the pair.

I have seen good deals on eBay but I am a worried about the warranty which I usually buy, I am not sure if anyone is aware that tires have expiration dates, I learned that recently.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by bchalks
My suggestion is to do the math via a spreadsheet in excel and see the price difference in your options. To me it sounds like (cheapest to most expensive):
1. Buy Nexen tires for the front only
2. Buy Sumitomo tires for the front only
3. Buy all 4 new Sumitomo tires

After you have priced it all out (cost, shipping, install) then you can make a better decision, financially.

I think if you are strapped for cash you might as well just go with the cheapest option. However, I never try to skimp on tires since they are super important for safety.
That is a good suggestion and I agree on the importance of tires and safety.