G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Legality of my G35's modded exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legality of my G35's modded exhaust

A few months ago I bought my first G35, more specifically a 2007 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe. It is a great car so far, but I've noticed it is a lot louder than any other G35 I have test driven. I finally decided to see if the previous owners had done something to it and noticed this.

From my research, it appears there use to be a giant muffler behind the exhaust endings, but that has been removed completely. I am fine with this, but my state (Texas) might have problems with it. I am aware Texas requires a muffler on every car (no straight pipe), and while I am missing the back muffler there appears to be another muffler in the center.

So is my car legal? If not, what is the best course of action? I love the sound of my car and I would hate having to undo it, and paying for that...

Thanks.

edit: Also, what did the previous owner do exactly? The lack of symmetry drives me nuts.

Last edited by fr1kin; 02-03-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
"Muffler delete" is the "proper" terminology lol

Old 02-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
That other "muffler" is a resonator and it is there to remove some rasp from the exhaust noise.

I could be wrong but I thought Texas was fairly lenient about exhaust rule enforcement. Technically you are not legal since you said so yourself that you're required to have a muffler. In many states it's technically illegal to modify the exhaust from stock in any way, but almost no states enforce that to the book.

Didn't you get the car inspected when you first bought it? If you did and it passed, I would just keep going back to that same inspection station every year for an inspection sticker.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Banned
in short, the PO wanted to make his stock G "loud and cool" so he cut the mufflers off to make it louder.
this is known as a poverty mod.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
That other "muffler" is a resonator and it is there to remove some rasp from the exhaust noise.

I could be wrong but I thought Texas was fairly lenient about exhaust rule enforcement. Technically you are not legal since you said so yourself that you're required to have a muffler. In many states it's technically illegal to modify the exhaust from stock in any way, but almost no states enforce that to the book.

Didn't you get the car inspected when you first bought it? If you did and it passed, I would just keep going back to that same inspection station every year for an inspection sticker.
I didn't get it inspected, the dealership mailed me the tags and handed me the license plate a week after I bought it. I guess the dealership had inspected it, and in that case they probably did ignore the missing the muffler (it was a Infiniti dealership, been around since the early G35s, I am pretty sure they would notice). Would the lack of a muffler negatively effect the emissions test or something else important? If it is just sound, I feel the inspectors wouldn't care as much unless they were super strict.

Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
in short, the PO wanted to make his stock G "loud and cool" so he cut the mufflers off to make it louder.
Lol. Maybe I come off as a ricer to some people, but undoing it would be terribly disappointing to me. I don't think I could do it without being forced to.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by fr1kin
I didn't get it inspected, the dealership mailed me the tags and handed me the license plate a week after I bought it. I guess the dealership had inspected it, and in that case they probably did ignore the missing the muffler (it was a Infiniti dealership, been around since the early G35s, I am pretty sure they would notice). Would the lack of a muffler negatively effect the emissions test or something else important? If it is just sound, I feel the inspectors wouldn't care as much unless they were super strict.
The lack of a muffler won't have any impact on your emissions. Mufflers are just there to muffle the sound of the exhaust, and in doing so may add a little back pressure, depending on the muffler design. All of your emissions are handled from the downstream 02 sensors and Catalytic converters forward. Anything rearward of the downstream 02 sensors is there simply for sound control and routing the exhaust so that it dumps to an area that is safe to not make its way back into the cabin while sitting still.

If an Infiniti Dealer sold you the car like that, then I'd go back to them for inspections every year or at least the first year to see how they react to it. If they know you there and remember you, they will probably be more likely to let it slide unless they think they can make some money off of you by trying to get you to install a new exhaust system through them.

The following users liked this post:
fr1kin (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Jersey, if we were on Face Book I'd have to click "Like!"
Gary

The following users liked this post:
Lartytiejdke3 (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by gary c
Jersey, if we were on Face Book I'd have to click "Like!"
Gary
lol much love GarBear. much love

Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Here in MA you could potentially get a "modified exhaust" ticket from the local police for having any car louder than stock.

Having a deleted muffler would also cause you to fail inspection.

As for your state...you'll need to check.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Here in MA you could potentially get a "modified exhaust" ticket from the local police for having any car louder than stock.

Having a deleted muffler would also cause you to fail inspection.

As for your state...you'll need to check.
Never realized you were from Mass as well.

Are they strict about exhaust noise in your area? They aren't where I live.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I love how our states are becoming "nanny states".

Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by DeafBringer
I love how our states are becoming "nanny states".
They are going after that ratty 1970s truck lack of exhaust and the guy with his modded civic. Not so much Motordyne quality of exhaust.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Never realized you were from Mass as well.

Are they strict about exhaust noise in your area? They aren't where I live.
Generally no if it's reasonable. Aftermarket mufflers and you are usually fine.

Rip the cats off and delete the mufflers...you'll prob get a ticket.

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
They are going after that ratty 1970s truck lack of exhaust and the guy with his modded civic. Not so much Motordyne quality of exhaust.

^This