US Marine Corps Reserve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure loss on 3 of 4 wheels

First:
2005 G35 Coupe 6MT w/ Perf Package

I believe my stock wheel size is:
Front: 19"x8"
Rear: 19"x8.5"

I'm losing tire pressure in the right front driver and rear driver and passenger wheels. Worst is right front driver. about 2-3 lbs a day. Car vibrates while driving at speed. Front driver side holds its pressure perfectly fine. I've gone through 3 sets of tires- high perf summer and snow- they all have the same issue of losing pressure every day. I used to think it was the tires but I don't think so. Not after 3 sets.

I have to assume random potholes have deformed 3 of the rims. I'm just not sure but it's been this way for years -- so long that I forgot what the car is supposed to drive like. Anyone who rides with me says, "hey, your tires are out of balance." I've had enough. Have to get the fiance a car first (Q60 AWD for the curious) so need to keep my car for at least another year or two but I really don't want to be filling the 3 tires every few days from 25-29 lbs to 35lbs. I'm just "tired" of it. (heh sorry)

I'm looking for a place to buy the exact replacements. I like the way the originals look plus if I can get just three, I'll save some money.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Rims looks like this: http://www.06g35.com/images/IMG_1297.JPG - that's an '06 but I believe the rims were the same for a few years.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:01 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Man, those are forged wheels; hard to believe they've been bent that badly just from potholes. Have you replaced the valves and tpms at all?

Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Assuming you don't have dry rotted tires or a nail or piece of metal in the leaking tires, the cause could be cracked rims, leaky valve stems or leaks around the beads.

You need to remove the tire, pump the tire up and spray water around the bead and look for leaks. Do the same around the valve stem. If you have a swimming pool or large tank of water, you can put the tire in that and hold it under to look for where the air bubbles are coming from. Some professional tire shops will have a dunk tank for this purpose.

Could be that the rim is oxidizing or the paint is coming off inside the rim around the bead and causing a leak there. If that's the case, you need to break the bead, sand and clean the inner surface of the rim where the beat seats and then coat it with a thin layer of tire bead sealer and then reseat it and check again for leaks.

While doing all this, keep in mind that the bead seats on both the inside and outside of the rim so don't forget to check for leaks on the other side too (the side that faces inward which you can't get at with it on the vehicle).