G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

100k+ Maintenance on a 5AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently became the owner of a G35 that has over 100k miles. I have been driving the car for a bit and I can tell it is ready for some maintenance. I know this community is real old and the information is out there. But I was hoping an experienced G35 owner could help me make the right purchases for the maintenance on my car. It is a 2007 G35 Coupe 5AT.

The items I am interested in buying are:
1. Oil
2. Coolant
3. Brake Fluid
4. Transmission Fluid
5. Differential Fluid
6. Headlight Fluid
7. Spark Plugs
8. Belts
9. Hoses

This is my first ever 'cool' car and I am pretty unfamiliar with this stuff. The goal is to buy all of this and take it to a reputable mechanic to perform the maintenance (avoiding dealer costs). Addtionally, I know not all fluids and hardware are created equal. I am looking for the best bang for my buck. What would you put in your car?

Another thing; I have had an oil change at the dealership and they told me that my oil pan and oil cooler are leaking. I am guessing from old O-ring gaskets. Bonus points for anyone who can show me which ones to buy as well.

I hope some kind member can provide me with sources/links to buy these items. (retailers, amazon, etc.)

Old 04-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kennytoboggan
I recently became the owner of a G35 that has over 100k miles. I have been driving the car for a bit and I can tell it is ready for some maintenance. I know this community is real old and the information is out there. But I was hoping an experienced G35 owner could help me make the right purchases for the maintenance on my car. It is a 2007 G35 Coupe 5AT.

1. Oil
2. Coolant
3. Brake Fluid
4. Transmission Fluid
5. Differential Fluid
6. Headlight Fluid
7. Spark Plugs
8. Belts
9. Hoses

This is my first ever 'cool' car and I am pretty unfamiliar with this stuff. The goal is to buy all of this and take it to a reputable mechanic to perform the maintenance (avoiding dealer costs). Addtionally, I know not all fluids and hardware are created equal. I am looking for the best bang for my buck. What would you put in your car?

Another thing; I have had an oil change at the dealership and they told me that my oil pan and oil cooler are leaking. I am guessing from old O-ring gaskets. Bonus points for anyone who can show me which ones to buy as well.

I hope some kind member can provide me with sources/links to buy these items. (retailers, amazon, etc.)
For oil go with Mobil 1. 5W30 is what the car requires if I remember correctly. Also comes in a form for "higher mile" cars, it should run about 30 bucks for a 6qt bottle and an oil filter over at your local wally world.

for transmission fluid go with Nissan ATF, also If I remember correctly on a car of 100k miles you just want a drain and fill, no complete flush or it could throw things off in the auto trans. (I have a 6mt) not sure if you can buy the fluid from Nissan and have the mechanic of your choice preform the operation, but if you can that's great.

spark plus just go with some pre gapped ngk iridium plugs, I don't remember the model off the top of my head but they are pre gapped, a great writeup over in the DIY section, can buy online.

I wasn't aware there was headlight fluid? maybe I'm just having a brain fart.

brake fluid just use DOT 4, I believe I have valvoline in my car right now. Can be found online, going to have to shop around for the best deal though

These are the only real things I've had experience with since I bought my car, previous owner was awesome and preformed all required maintenance a few days before I bought the car.

Last edited by Mignav01; 04-16-2016 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (04-21-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts

1. Oil
2. Coolant
3. Brake Fluid
4. Transmission Fluid
5. Differential Fluid
6. Headlight Fluid
7. Spark Plugs
8. Belts
9. Hoses

My car has about 154K miles and I'm the original owner - bought in 2006. I've done all my own maintenance for the past four years.

1. Oil - Mobil 1 or Valvoline 5W-30 is what I used.
2. Coolant - Nissan from Dealer or Online
3. Brake Fluid - Valvolive Dot 3/4 Fluid
4. Transmission Fluid - I would 3/4 drain and refills in about 50 mile intervals. Most people swear Nissan Matic J. But, I found some Idemitsu Type-J online for a great deal and it might even be the OEM fluid.
5. Differential Fluid - Mobile 75W-90 w/LSD
6. Headlight Fluid - LOL, I hope this is a joke.
7. Spark Plugs - NGK
8. Belts - OEM or Gates
9. Hoses - Z1 Motorsports Silicone hose set ~250 if I remember right.
10. Power steering fluid - Mobile 1 ATF flush out all the old crap and put this stuff in.

Oil pan is held on by RTV, so I doubt it's leaking - Probably just oil from the cooler. The oil cooler gasket is about 5-10 bucks at the dealer and takes 10 minutes to change.

Things I've changed:

Water pump - ~130 miles it went out
Timing chain and guides - I did this during my water pump, I accidentally jumped some teeth, so I had to remove the timing cover and reset the timing.
Hoses
Lower control arms due to bad bushings
Rear calipers - Known for sticking
Shocks
Alternator - Covered by warranty
Ball joints
Wheel bearing - Paid mechanic
Radiator
Tie Rod - Covered by warranty
Rotors/brake pads
I'm in the middle of replacing my valve cover gaskets right now, since they have become brittle and leaking tons of oil.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (04-21-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 02:37 AM
Thank you for the helpful replies thus far!
All those repairs you've done scare me

Old 04-17-2016, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
My car has about 154K miles and I'm the original owner - bought in 2006. I've done all my own maintenance for the past four years.

1. Oil - Mobil 1 or Valvoline 5W-30 is what I used.
2. Coolant - Nissan from Dealer or Online
3. Brake Fluid - Valvolive Dot 3/4 Fluid
4. Transmission Fluid - I would 3/4 drain and refills in about 50 mile intervals. Most people swear Nissan Matic J. But, I found some Idemitsu Type-J online for a great deal and it might even be the OEM fluid.
5. Differential Fluid - Mobile 75W-90 w/LSD
6. Headlight Fluid - LOL, I hope this is a joke.
7. Spark Plugs - NGK
8. Belts - OEM or Gates
9. Hoses - Z1 Motorsports Silicone hose set ~250 if I remember right.
10. Power steering fluid - Mobile 1 ATF flush out all the old crap and put this stuff in.

Do you know roughly how much of each fluid I would need to buy?

Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Old 04-21-2016, 02:46 PM
i have an 03 5at, i got it with 107k on it, it now has 120k.
i just did the atf and differential fluid.
the tranny fluid i had no clue if they changed it before so i just went ahead and took out 5 qts and replaced it with 5 qts Nissan S-matic which was $8.99 at my local nissan. I dropped the pain and bought the filter at my local auto parts store and its pretty basic. Only pain was the 15+ bolts for both the pan and the filter. Make sure to clean the pan and magnets really well.

The differential was pretty easy if you have a fluid pump, takes a little less than 2 qts, i used mobil 1 as well.

With the right tools you should have no issues.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:24 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Mignav01
I wasn't aware there was headlight fluid? maybe I'm just having a brain fart.

Don't know why but I loled out loud at the library.

Well done Mignav.........

Old 04-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Don't know why but I loled out loud at the library.
Ebay lights; the fluid you see in them is part of eBay corp's newly-announced Earth Day environmental recapture program. It is storage for periods of drought.

No need to replace, OP. Just boil your headlights before using.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Roughly 75 gallons of headlight fluid. I can sell it to you wholesale for about $5/gallon which is a steal. Don't worry about the "Deer Park" label on the 12 oz containers - that's just the distributer I use. PM me

Old 04-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zcherub
Roughly 75 gallons of headlight fluid. I can sell it to you wholesale for about $5/gallon which is a steal. Don't worry about the "Deer Park" label on the 12 oz containers - that's just the distributer I use. PM me
5 bucks a gallon?! I'll take 100 bucks worth. never know when it'll go on sale again

Old 05-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Great info !

Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 AM