G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I need opinion and some guidance.. (Accident)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy I need opinion and some guidance.. (Accident)

Hello fellow G drivers!

So last week on Friday someone hit me on my right rear quarter panel and my rims.
I got the guys information and all that. I have a witness as well.. So I am confident that his insurance will take liability for it.

I was looking for a body shop area.
Today I went to two body shop and both gave me different estimate. For those familiar with body shops.. or whoever works at a body shops. Why are the prices so different?

Body shop #1
Estimate fix: $300 - 400 (including prime and paint)
(I told him how I wanted to get my rims done somewhere else, he said he will give me the money to do so with what the insurance gives. Also I asked how much to repaint my hood, he offered me a deal $150 if I take my car to his shop)

Body shop #2
Estimate fix: $1600 - 1800
(When I asked about the rims he told me to get it done and get the receipt and get it reimbursed through the other persons insurance. I asked about the hood repaint - he gave me no deal and quoted me $1600)

Pictures below of the accident:

Last edited by garfield; 04-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
To answer your question as simply as possible: some people do things correctly and some do shitty work. Also, some companies do things as a reputable, honest business and some are willing to increase prices based on whether or not it's being payed for by you, or or if it's an insurance claim.

Best way to get the best and most honest price when it comes to any body work is to go in saying you're paying out of pocket. Then give that quote to the insurance company, they'll cut you a check then go get it fixed.

Body shops take advantage of all of our claims and that in turn raises everyone's rates and deductibles.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive gotten banged up in one of these cars on a couple of occasions. The first got sandwiched in between a Saturn and a 98' Buick LeSabre, its still on the road too. 1600-1800 is what I would expect to pay for quality work here in Houston. Never go for the cheaper option if its not your money with this stuff. Its the paint they really play around with but it'll look good for about 10k miles. Always demand OEM parts or equivalent. Same or better condition is the rule. Paint only on my hood was 500-600. that back quarter panel is going to be trouble because it does not unbolt, it is apart of the unibody. It doesn't look like they will have to cut in, just do a pull and paint the whole thing to match. Have the shop look at your suspension components as well, G's & Z's can get jammed out of spec by a stiff curb check. If it starts pulling to one side that's a clue.

Many of the larger shops here in town wont even call you back if you talk about paying out of pocket, they're not interested. He's right, its largely a scam, be sure they put on what they bill for too.

Last edited by Velix; 04-28-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by garfield
Hello fellow G drivers!

So last week on Friday someone hit me on my right rear quarter panel and my rims.
I got the guys information and all that. I have a witness as well.. So I am not confident that his insurance will take liability for it.

I was looking for a body shop area.
Today I went to two body shop and both gave me different estimate. For those familiar with body shops.. or whoever works at a body shops. Why are the prices so different?

Body shop #1
Estimate fix: $300 - 400 (including prime and paint)
(I told him how I wanted to get my rims done somewhere else, he said he will give me the money to do so with what the insurance gives. Also I asked how much to repaint my hood, he offered me a deal $150 if I take my car to his shop)

Body shop #2
Estimate fix: $1600 - 1800
(When I asked about the rims he told me to get it done and get the receipt and get it reimbursed through the other persons insurance. I asked about the hood repaint - he gave me no deal and quoted me $1600)

]
Did you obtain a police report and report the accident to your insurance company?
They will contact the other drivers insurance company.

Telcoman

Old 04-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Did you obtain a police report and report the accident to your insurance company?
They will contact the other drivers insurance company.

Telcoman
Police came by but did not need to do a police report since no hit and run as well as fatal injury. In the state of CA, cops are not mandatory to make a police report. I contacted his insurance already and gave my verbal statement.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
To answer your question as simply as possible: some people do things correctly and some do shitty work. Also, some companies do things as a reputable, honest business and some are willing to increase prices based on whether or not it's being payed for by you, or or if it's an insurance claim.

Best way to get the best and most honest price when it comes to any body work is to go in saying you're paying out of pocket. Then give that quote to the insurance company, they'll cut you a check then go get it fixed.

Body shops take advantage of all of our claims and that in turn raises everyone's rates and deductibles.
Not really worried about increasing my rates since I shouldn't be at fault. However, I do agree with what you said with body shops attempting to increase their revenue. They did ask me if I was going through insurance. Shop #1 seems ok in my opinion. The owner of the shop black smog my car last month.

I might consider going to another shop and get another quote and say I will be paying out of pocket.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would run far far away from #1.

There's a decent amount of work there and the hourly rates body shops charge are usually pretty steep. It is skilled labor, after all. Factor in consumables (paint, masking tape, etc...) and I have no idea how a shop would make money on that job at that price without half-assing it.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Update:
RIP my life..
His insurance denied my claim because his insurance expired..... Now I have to claim through my insurance and pay $500 deductible.. Then take him to small claim and make him pay me back the deductible..

Old 05-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
oh **** that sucks. be sure to get an uninsured driver clause in your insurance policy. it will save you the headache.
i would assume the second quote is more accurate because the rear quarter panel is buckled. it not an easy fix if there is damage under the panel.

good luck

Old 05-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by hurleyguys
oh **** that sucks. be sure to get an uninsured driver clause in your insurance policy. it will save you the headache.
i would assume the second quote is more accurate because the rear quarter panel is buckled. it not an easy fix if there is damage under the panel.

good luck
I'll look into that. But I think I should have that.. since I have full coverage. Both shop said no damage in the frame. It can be pop back out. Needs to be sanded and repainted.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Update:
I decided to do a third body shop which gave me detail itemized estimate (Around 1900~). He talked to my insurance and helped me get $300 for my rims which he will reimburse to me since I will be taking it elsewhere. He initially offered to do my hood for $600 but he said since he's going to blend the paint might as well do the hood. He gave me a $300 to fix my hood which I accepted! He also gives me daily and necessary update regarding what they have done to my car.

Reason why I am repainting my hood: Oxidation