G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hesitation: Battery Light + Ebrake Light Flashing Intermittently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hesitation: Battery Light + Ebrake Light Flashing Intermittently

I read about other people having this issue and tried to address the common ones but the problem still persists.

I took the car in and got the alternator rebuilt, changed the battery (since it was at least 6yrs old anyway), cleaned the two grounds underneath the engine cover using a wire brush but yet the issue continues to persist. When the two lights flash on and off, the car appears to lose power briefly and then it regains power and off I go.

I took it back to the mechanic and he hooked up his multimeter which reads 14.0-14.1 volts at idle. Of course when at idle the lights are off and the car runs properly though. It's mostly when cruising along or accelerating that it happens.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I'm going to check out all the other grounds but its tough finding a good ground diagram.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by RastaManMax
I read about other people having this issue and tried to address the common ones but the problem still persists.

I took the car in and got the alternator rebuilt, changed the battery (since it was at least 6yrs old anyway), cleaned the two grounds underneath the engine cover using a wire brush but yet the issue continues to persist. When the two lights flash on and off, the car appears to lose power briefly and then it regains power and off I go.

I took it back to the mechanic and he hooked up his multimeter which reads 14.0-14.1 volts at idle. Of course when at idle the lights are off and the car runs properly though. It's mostly when cruising along or accelerating that it happens.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I'm going to check out all the other grounds but its tough finding a good ground diagram.
As for an electric schematic diagram check out the FSM

A few things to consider

Why was the alternator rebuilt? Was there a problem with it prior?
It is not unheard of to have a new battery with a defective cell.
Have you checked the belt for proper tension and is it an OEM belt?
Finally the correct output voltage from the alternator should be closer to 14.4v

You took the car into who?

Good luck

Telcoman

Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
As for an electric schematic diagram check out the FSM

A few things to consider

Why was the alternator rebuilt? Was there a problem with it prior?
It is not unheard of to have a new battery with a defective cell.
Have you checked the belt for proper tension and is it an OEM belt?
Finally the correct output voltage from the alternator should be closer to 14.4v

You took the car into who?

Good luck

Telcoman
I had the alternator tested and then it was apparently found to be defective so it was rebuilt. Thought that would solve the issue but just after rolling away, lights came back on.

Belts have proper tension and are both OEM. They were changed last year and have very little mileage on them.

Would 0.3-0.4v be enough to cause this issue?

Old 08-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you, I would take it back to whoever rebuilt the alternator, have them drive it (with you) when the problem occurs. 14.4v is a good alt. reading, however there are many factors, such as, ambient temperature, battery temp, battery state of charge, idle speed, that can change that up or down and be a good reading. 14 v is fine. And it does sound like an alt. problem, since there aren't lights on at idle, the problem isn't occurring

Old 08-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by drdaniel41
If I were you, I would take it back to whoever rebuilt the alternator, have them drive it (with you) when the problem occurs. 14.4v is a good alt. reading, however there are many factors, such as, ambient temperature, battery temp, battery state of charge, idle speed, that can change that up or down and be a good reading. 14 v is fine. And it does sound like an alt. problem, since there aren't lights on at idle, the problem isn't occurring
Now the problem happens during the startup and in trying to take the car out today for the first time in 2 weeks, the VDC light came on and lost most of the power so I turned it back around and parked it back up. I suspect it's a ground issue but its tough to find all the grounding points on the car to troubleshoot them all.

Probably going to get it towed to another mechanic closer to my house and hope they can fix it.