G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Caliper mounting bracket rubbing rotor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper mounting bracket rubbing rotor.

First off, thanks to everyone here for the amazing amount of free information that I use quite often. I've looked in a few places for the answer to my question but I'm getting so much different info that I thought I'd ask you guys.

Yesterday I started noticing a popping noise at low speed, especially prominent when turning or going over bumps. I thought I'd get it looked at tomorrow and keep driving to a minimum. Well I ended up having an emergency last night and had to drive about 250 miles. Afterwards this morning I noticed the popping was more prominent and a screeching noise was also coming up and I had to keep the wheel slightly right to make the car go straight. I took off the wheel and immediately noticed the bracket was scoured and was making contact with the rotor. Anyone have any idea what would be causing this? I'm completely broke this time of the month and have no other car so im not sure what to do. I took it all apart and tightened everything and of course it's still making the noise. I'm not seeing any excessive brake pad wear and the grooves on the rotor aren't really that bad. Also if anyone knows a trustworthy shop in the Dallas area that would be nice, but I'd also like to be able to fix this myself.

Thanks.

Update:
So I think I found the issue when I was messing around with it a bit more after work. The piece(wheel bearing?) where the bolts come through to hold the rotor/wheel has an insane amount of play. I took the rotor off and just grabbed one of the bolts and moved it around and it shook quite a bit. When I put the wheel back on it moved very easily with not much force and made a squeaking noise .A few questions... I looked it up and there are several parts that come up on autozone, which should I get? The entire assembly? Should I order it from somewhere else that has a more quality part? Is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Can I do this on my own with not much experience working on cars? Thanks in advance.

Update #2:
Put on a new hub assembly & wheel bearing ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....1432547&jsn=11 ) and drove for 15 minutes and the noise is gone. No more screeching no more popping as far as I can tell.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by alKoh; 09-20-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:42 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
You might want to hit up Stephen (r1autoworks) and see if he has any recommendations for shops. He's also in Dallas and is a super chill dude.

The following users liked this post:
alKoh (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:18 PM
So I think I found the issue when I was messing around with it a bit more after work. The piece(wheel bearing?) where the bolts come through to hold the rotor/wheel has an insane amount of play. I took the rotor off and just grabbed one of the bolts and moved it around and it shook quite a bit. When I put the wheel back on it moved very easily with not much force and made a squeaking noise .A few questions... I looked it up and there are several parts that come up on autozone, which should I get? The entire assembly? Should I order it from somewhere else that has a more quality part? Is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Can I do this on my own with not much experience working on cars? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I'd get the whole assembly that way you're not messing with pressing things in and out. You want a wheel bearing and hub. I believe the OE is made by Timken, but I'd check out RockAuto.com and I WOULDN'T drive the car in that state.

The following 2 users liked this post by coffeysm:
alKoh (09-14-2016), Blue Dream (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 11:33 PM

I second the rockauto suggestion, they rock. Pardon the pun lol.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-14-2016, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciate it a lot.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
get the whole assembly! had my rear bearings replaced last month and went with Timken. Also you're welcome to use my rockauto discount code that i just updated!

Old 09-14-2016, 11:55 AM
I also forgot to mention if you're hub and bearing assembly is that bad you'd want a whole new setup anyway. It could be all pitted and end up having to replace it again sooner vs. later.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:45 PM
You guys are all amazing. Seriously. I'm ordering a MOOG hub and bearing assembly from rockauto after doing some research. My car is gonna be out of comission until it comes in but I'd rather be patient and get a quality part. All of the auto stores around me have generics or outrageous markups. I managed to get the hub out today and my car is sitting on a stand until it comes in. Here's a picture with it off... I don't know if I should be looking for anything here so just lmk if you guys see anything out of whack. Also, when I'm putting the assembly back in is there anything I need to do?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 PM
I'd just clean the mating surfaces with a wire brush, wheel, or some sand paper.

The following 2 users liked this post by coffeysm:
alKoh (09-15-2016), Blue Dream (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^^ good advice.... OP good job...

Old 09-20-2016, 02:54 PM
I got the part in today. Threw it on and drove for about 15 minutes and it seems everything is good! No more screeching for sure and I haven't heard any popping noises yet. I want to thank everyone for taking the time to help me look into this issue. Coffey you're amazing if you ever find yourself in Dallas and want a free meal hmu.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM

Glad it worked out for you and screw coffey we're ALL amazing...............

Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do they have whole assemblies for the rear? I can only find the wheel bearing alone separate.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Genthusiast35
do they have whole assemblies for the rear? I can only find the wheel bearing alone separate.
I believe so. I found this at oreilly, got excited thinking it was compatible for my situation but then it said it was for the rear.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ings+%26+seals

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Caliper mounting bracket rubbing rotor.