G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Suggested mods? New to this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys - I picked up an 06 G35s 5AT coupe.
I've been trying to read some articles and learn a bit; not exactly the most knowledgeable on cars, so a bit out of my depth and comfort zone.

For cosmetic mods - just tinting windows. Maybe a diffuser, and a couple body alterations (nothing too drastic or low).

As far as performance mods, I was thinking:
Plenum spacer
Air intake
Z tube
Exhaust
Supercharger (Is there anything under $1000? When I googled it, it seemed like there were some for around $600, then others were $3000+)

Basically trying to make sure I'm investing my money properly!
Thanks in advance to any help that anyone can offer!

Old 09-25-2016, 03:54 PM

Hey everyone - recently picked up an 06 G35s 5AT.
I'm new to modding, been reading articles trying to learn a bit; but I am a bit out of my depth and comfort zone as I'm not very knowledgeable on this topic.

Looking for any suggestions or clarifications regarding the following.

For cosmetic mods - probably just a diffuser and a couple body alterations, nothing too drastic and I'm not going to try and make the car any lower than it is.

Performance mods (in order):
Plenum Spacer
Air Intake
Z Tube
Exhaust

Supercharger? (Are there any for under $1000? Google showed a few for around $600 but i'm not sure of those, as the rest were around $3000-6500.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Just trying to make sure I'm investing my money properly!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
No such thing of a Supercharger for less than 5k maybe 6kfrom what I've read. Your list seems pretty good for some decent power

Old 09-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I mean you might be able to get a used pulley supercharger for around 3k but it would be wise to get supporting mods with it (3" exhaust perhaps?).

Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OP unfortunately a proper supercharger set up is going to run you $8000 or more. With these motors there's no such thing as cheap power. With the mods you listed minus the SC you're looking at spending upwards of $800 to $1000 if you buy a legit exhaust. Z tube and intake provide no noticeable gains, the spacer is good for around 5HP/TQ and a decent exhaust w/o a tune might get you another 5-8 HP/TQ. Add a tune which will run you another $800-1000 for a proper dyno tune and you MIGHT get a gain of around 15HP which is barely noticeable and yet you've spent almost $2000.

Welcome to our hell. Nissan did an overall solid job tuning the VQ from the factory for max NA performance. So significant gains will cost you significant $$$. Before you spend any money on mods make sure all repairs and maintenance have been taken care of. If you have the service history for the car look over what might have been missed. You didn't post how many miles the car has on it so things to watch out for on the maintenance side are brake rotors and pads, oil change, coolant replacement, power steering fluid, ATF or clutch fluids, differential oil etc. Repair/replacement items to look for if you are at or above 70K miles include shocks, radiator, thermostat, lower control arms/bushings, compression rods/bushings, wheel hubs, fans/motors, window motors, lock actuators, tires and so on. Our cars usually last a long time if they're properly maintained but sadly there are a lot of them out there that weren't. Maintenance and repairs can add up quickly so make sure you have plenty of money in your budget to take care of them before you buy your first mod. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all. HTH

The following users liked this post:
dukehotty (09-27-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Blue "G Zilla" Dream.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
OP unfortunately a proper supercharger set up is going to run you $8000 or more. With these motors there's no such thing as cheap power. With the mods you listed minus the SC you're looking at spending upwards of $800 to $1000 if you buy a legit exhaust. Z tube and intake provide no noticeable gains, the spacer is good for around 5HP/TQ and a decent exhaust w/o a tune might get you another 5-8 HP/TQ. Add a tune which will run you another $800-1000 for a proper dyno tune and you MIGHT get a gain of around 15HP which is barely noticeable and yet you've spent almost $2000.

Welcome to our hell. Nissan did an overall solid job tuning the VQ from the factory for max NA performance. So significant gains will cost you significant $$$. Before you spend any money on mods make sure all repairs and maintenance have been taken care of. If you have the service history for the car look over what might have been missed. You didn't post how many miles the car has on it so things to watch out for on the maintenance side are brake rotors and pads, oil change, coolant replacement, power steering fluid, ATF or clutch fluids, differential oil etc. Repair/replacement items to look for if you are at or above 70K miles include shocks, radiator, thermostat, lower control arms/bushings, compression rods/bushings, wheel hubs, fans/motors, window motors, lock actuators, tires and so on. Our cars usually last a long time if they're properly maintained but sadly there are a lot of them out there that weren't. Maintenance and repairs can add up quickly so make sure you have plenty of money in your budget to take care of them before you buy your first mod. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all. HTH
Yeah, I was more than skeptical of the pricing, even 3k seemed low.

Thanks for the pricing, I'll keep that in mind when I start looking.
The car has 107k on it. Picked it up from the dealership with warranty on everything aside from aftermarket parts. So far 2 rotors and cooling fan have been my only replacements (aside from tires). Car has the stock rays which don't look too bad but they do have curb rash and slight chipping.

Car seems to be in pretty good shape, 3rd owner.

In the short time I've spent on the forums I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be much to do on a budget.

I guess I'll try to do spacer+exhaust. I was looking at stillens true dual cat back; I think I'll go with that one, unless I hear otherwise.

Would it be worth anything to add in before doing those two and getting it tuned? I would hate to get it tuned only to decide to add something else shortly after

Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by eazdaskeez
No such thing of a Supercharger for less than 5k maybe 6kfrom what I've read. Your list seems pretty good for some decent power

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I mean you might be able to get a used pulley supercharger for around 3k but it would be wise to get supporting mods with it (3" exhaust perhaps?).
Thank you!
yeah I guess it's evident how new I am lol

Old 09-25-2016, 09:58 PM
I just bought an 06 coupe with sport package too, with around 40k miles.
So far, I have done a complete change of all fluids including trans, (it sat in a garage most of the time, but they all needed changing) added a magnefine filter inline on the trans cooler return line, BG44k, PCV, tires, Iridium plugs, air filter, maf sensor cleaning, belts, drilled & slotted rotors & redstuff pads

I have a vdc/slip mystery, so I have a few other parts to install too that will hopefully solve that, but I'm going to do a z tube & stick with the stock air box & filter & have a Motordyne spacer waiting to go in too. I like the stock exhaust note, don't really want to mess with it.

From my reading, those two seem like the only bolt-ons that yield any real gains. I'm hoping for a bit of fuel economy from the spacer as well, honestly. I have a heavy foot, and got really terrible mileage the first two tanks before all the maintenance. It seems much better after so far, but I came from a 3 series that insurance totaled & am used to much better mpg.

There is also a Transgo shift kit for the AT that sounds great, but I'm kind of afraid to do it since it's irreversible if I don't like it, and a disaster if I somehow screw it up.

Exterior wise, I'm a fan of the stock look & the 19s look really good in my opinion, but I do like the Kuruma z bumper a lot. We'll see. I did add the Tail as Turn, it was a 5 min install & well worth the 40 bucks. Also tint, I'm in Colorado & the sun is brutal so it's a must here.

Have fun, I'm enjoying mine so far. Not quite up to BMW standards as far as interior quality/finish & paint, but it was *a lot* cheaper, very good looking body style, no payments & is about 95% there.

Last edited by bitfiend; 09-25-2016 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 09-26-2016, 05:12 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Blue "G Zilla" Dream.
hella WTF?????????

Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by bitfiend
I just bought an 06 coupe with sport package too, with around 40k miles.
So far, I have done a complete change of all fluids including trans, (it sat in a garage most of the time, but they all needed changing) added a magnefine filter inline on the trans cooler return line, BG44k, PCV, tires, Iridium plugs, air filter, maf sensor cleaning, belts, drilled & slotted rotors & redstuff pads

I have a vdc/slip mystery, so I have a few other parts to install too that will hopefully solve that, but I'm going to do a z tube & stick with the stock air box & filter & have a Motordyne spacer waiting to go in too. I like the stock exhaust note, don't really want to mess with it.

From my reading, those two seem like the only bolt-ons that yield any real gains. I'm hoping for a bit of fuel economy from the spacer as well, honestly. I have a heavy foot, and got really terrible mileage the first two tanks before all the maintenance. It seems much better after so far, but I came from a 3 series that insurance totaled & am used to much better mpg.

There is also a Transgo shift kit for the AT that sounds great, but I'm kind of afraid to do it since it's irreversible if I don't like it, and a disaster if I somehow screw it up.

Exterior wise, I'm a fan of the stock look & the 19s look really good in my opinion, but I do like the Kuruma z bumper a lot. We'll see. I did add the Tail as Turn, it was a 5 min install & well worth the 40 bucks. Also tint, I'm in Colorado & the sun is brutal so it's a must here.

Have fun, I'm enjoying mine so far. Not quite up to BMW standards as far as interior quality/finish & paint, but it was *a lot* cheaper, very good looking body style, no payments & is about 95% there.
Very nice! I'm a bit jealous you were able to find one with such low mileage ; I was in a bit of a time crunch, unfortunately.
My list of possible bumpers has the kuruma, definitely a fan of that.

I'm trying to decide between HKS or Stillen for the exhaust, I like the original note but I want something a little grittier.

I'm debating intake or not because I'm not exactly swimming in the money, yet.

As suggested above, I may just do exhaust+spacer and then get it tuned.
I saw there was a few body kits in the vendor threads so I may pick up a more subtle one and grab some extra rims in case I ever wanna swap from the Rays.

what color did you pick up?

Old 09-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Jerracus, since you're new here I'm going make several suggestions. At the top of the coupe page there are several stickys which you need to read, one of them being "Best Mods" which should cover all the above questions. Any further questions use our Search function...Gary