G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help buying a g35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help buying a g35 coupe

I'm 16 have had my license for a couple months and have been looking at g35 coupes for sale. My parents agreed to pay half of the car if I pay the other half which is great. Right now I'm looking at a 2004 coupe with 90k miles and looks like it's in great shape for 7,000$ . I was wondering if I should take a look at the car because I've heard to stay away from 2003-2004 models and get an 05 and up. Thanks

Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Pm1122
I'm 16 have had my license for a couple months and have been looking at g35 coupes for sale. My parents agreed to pay half of the car if I pay the other half which is great. Right now I'm looking at a 2004 coupe with 90k miles and looks like it's in great shape for 7,000$ . I was wondering if I should take a look at the car because I've heard to stay away from 2003-2004 models and get an 05 and up. Thanks
All VQ's are prone to oil consumption issues, but I've heard the opposite. 05 and 06 generally have more OC problems than the earlier years. However, 05+ have better interior, so it's more of a trade off than anything. Just look at basic things as with a normal car. Be careful though man, I know how it was to be 16 and getting a "fast" car (G is slow, but feels fast for new drivers.) Not your parents so I'm not going to tell you how to behave, I just don't want to see someone hurt and a G destroyed. In hindsight, I paid 10.5 for my 03 6mt 18 months ago with 93k. Good luck!

Buyers Guide 1

Buyers Guide 2

Old 10-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I must be from another era. My first car was a 79 Chevette Scooter (in 1989) with no back seat, no carpet, no radio, no right side mirror and I was over 18.

In regards to your question, a G35 for a 16 year old is a lot of car, have you factored insurance, gas, and maintenance into your budget? Cause if you get a bad car, it can get costly. I think an 03-04 coupe is a better bet since they don't suffer from oil consumption as much as later models. Basically with older cars how the previous owner(s) cared for the car is crucial. Some of these models have seen several owners and beaten up. Whatever you decide to buy a pre-purchase inspection is a must, and not just by a local garage but by an Infinti dealer preferably.. This is what I did for mine, 2 seasons of trouble free driving, love the car. Good luck

Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I had an 03.5 from 30k - 110k. No issues - Had to replace some engine seal around the 100 mark. I found out the spark plugs had oil on them. I only recognized it because i was having misc modifications and told them to do the 90k tune as well.

And yes - spend the couple hundred for the used car check up

Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Where do you live?

If you live in a state that gets snow in the winter, I suggest considering other options for your first car since this is rear wheel drive, decently powerful, and has low ground clearance which makes it not a very good vehicle for dealing with snow and ice.... particularly for a first time driver.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My G wasn't my first car but I'm 19 and it was my second so from one young person to another I'll try to lend some advice. I drive an 05 coupe in a manual, the oil consumption while annoying is nothing that $28 every couple weeks doesn't fix. Do you plan on modifying it? I modified mine and that's a slippery slope. Congrats on being able to get one. I guess all in all I would say listen to the advice above but never forget to factor in the smiles per gallon of a car, best of luck and (hopefully) welcome to the community!

Old 10-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Buy a better daily driver and save up for a sports car, insurance is going to rape you

Old 10-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skippedcollege
My G wasn't my first car but I'm 19 and it was my second so from one young person to another I'll try to lend some advice. I drive an 05 coupe in a manual, the oil consumption while annoying is nothing that $28 every couple weeks doesn't fix. Do you plan on modifying it? I modified mine and that's a slippery slope. Congrats on being able to get one. I guess all in all I would say listen to the advice above but never forget to factor in the smiles per gallon of a car, best of luck and (hopefully) welcome to the community!
Oil consumption? Do all G35s have that issue or is there a leak that has to be fixed?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I understand its all of them, especially with the REV motor. I'm no expert though so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
pass on the g, learn to drive first. Not a wisea** answer.. if you get rwd it takes getting used to in the rain and especially the snow. The power is enough to tail whip an inexperienced driver. As far as oil consumption, just make sure you are periodically checking and adding oil. Just another thing to shell out money on every 500-1000 miles in addition to your 3-5k oil change. Insurance is going to slam you for a coupe at that age.

If you have your heart set on the g, get an awd sedan and have fun. Parts are costly and I doubt at your age you've turned a wrench and assuming your pops doesn't work on his car makes this endeavor a definite pass. Other cars to consider that would still put a smile on your face would be a GTI quick and light. go with the 1.8t or the 2.0t depending on year as a simple ecu reflash will have it out pacing the v6 gti with just a flash. Jetta and Passat will be better on your insurance though.

You can always have your parents insure it under them and not list you as a driver, this will save boatloads of cash. Just don't get any tickets or say hello to about double the insure premium. Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (10-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNurse
Oil consumption? Do all G35s have that issue or is there a leak that has to be fixed?
Oil Consumption is caused by poor quality oil rings, there is no cheap fix!
Originally Posted by Skippedcollege
From what I understand its all of them, especially with the REV motor. I'm no expert though so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in.
No, not all VQ motors have OC issues but it's not uncommon to use a quart of oil between oil changes!

The Infiniti G35 isn't what a 16 year old should be buying as his/her first car! A Mazda Miata with a few miles on them are easy to work on, parts are cheap and they run on regular gas. Insurance and the price of the car won't keep you working weekends when you s/b out having fun and enjoying life! Most of us wouldn't recommend a G35 as your first car!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (10-06-2016)