G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Wheel hub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hub?

Hey guys so when I'm driving over 40 mph I feel/hear a humming. It's intermittent but goes about 2 times a second. If I turn slightly right, it stops. If I turn slightly left, it gets louder. This leads me to believe that it is the front left wheel hub. What do you guys think?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Could be the tires or the wheel bearing. If you have a set of winter wheels or an emergency spare, swap that wheel to see if the sound continues.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Quite often what you're hearing is caused by those groves in the road! Turning your wheel changes or stops what you're hearing...Gary

Old 10-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Quite often what you're hearing is caused by those groves in the road! Turning your wheel changes or stops what you're hearing...Gary
Thats what I thought at first, but the sound occurs on every road. Rough, smooth, newly finished. Doesn't matter what road. This is what caused me to believe that it is the wheel hub. Also since no matter what the sound goes away when turning slightly right, and gets louder while turning slightly left, no matter what road.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
If you have a non staggered setup, swap the left front and rear. You could swap fronts side to side but if they're directional it might be a problem in the wet.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
If you have a non staggered setup, swap the left front and rear. You could swap fronts side to side but if they're directional it might be a problem in the wet.
I already gave him the tools to figure it out but he ignored it.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by RMSpiel
Hey guys so when I'm driving over 40 mph I feel/hear a humming. It's intermittent but goes about 2 times a second. If I turn slightly right, it stops. If I turn slightly left, it gets louder. This leads me to believe that it is the front left wheel hub. What do you guys think?
Since it gets louder when slightly turning left, then it's most likely a wheel bearing on the right side of the car. You can jack the car up and try the "shake test" but I found that didn't work when my rears went bad. Mine was solid and couldn't "feel" the problem until I had already removed it.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
The factory rims have notches in the rim and hub to prevent putting front rims on rear hubs and vice versa.

Turn the front wheels all the way to the side and get out and look at the tires for wear on the inner edges. The aggressive stock alignment leads to rapid inner tire wear on the front tires which creates reverberating sound that could be what OP is hearing. Also check your tire pressure to make sure it's within spec.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I already gave him the tools to figure it out but he ignored it.
Didn't ignore what you said, haven't had time to go out there and swap on the spare. I'm a full time student with a full course load. Luckily I dorm so don't commute but have time tomorrow so will give this a try.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I think I have the same issue, but mine occurs over 60mph. I noticed it after I installed a new front lower control arm. I switched up the front wheels and it didn't change. I'm going to re-torque the control arm bolts to spec today and see if it changes

Old 10-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CFE4130
I think I have the same issue, but mine occurs over 60mph. I noticed it after I installed a new front lower control arm. I switched up the front wheels and it didn't change. I'm going to re-torque the control arm bolts to spec today and see if it changes

Mines is doing the same exact now... Also when I brake at high speed I get wiggle in one wheel.... Could be plenty things... Take it to Meineke if you have one around, they will diag is for FREE! Only takes them 20-30mins max

Old 10-14-2016, 04:49 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by gary c
Quite often what you're hearing is caused by those groves in the road! ...Gary

Those damn groves shoudn't be in the road.... What are the groves doing in the road??

How are we going to pick the oranges if the groves are in the road?!?!

Old 10-14-2016, 05:04 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Gigi_G35
Take it to Meineke if you have one around, they will diag is for FREE! Only takes them 20-30mins max
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! No Meineke, Sears, Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, Goodyear, Firestone etc. should ever touch a car. They hire mostly sub-par "mechanics" who would rather be at home scratching their ba!!s than working on a car. Find a local mechanic that's been around your community for a while, Yelp is a good place to start looking for one, and take it there. Way too many horror stories across the web about these generic chains that claim to do good work on vehicles. Went to a local Firestone to get a quote for a replacement radiator and thermostat on the G. Quoted me $691 for all parts and labor so I laughed a bit and went to rockauto, ordered a Denso rad. and a new thermostat. Shipped to the house for $93 total so with a gallon of concentrated Prestone and a gallon of distilled water fixed her myself in a little over an hour for $100.

Now I get not everyone can DIY even a simple project like this but I tell my story to prove a point, chain auto repair shops are out there for one reason, to make a lot of money on suckers who trust them. Go where you want people but when you get fvcked I'll be happy to say I told you so.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! No Meineke, Sears, Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, Goodyear, Firestone etc. should ever touch a car. They hire mostly sub-par "mechanics" who would rather be at home scratching their ba!!s than working on a car. Find a local mechanic that's been around your community for a while, Yelp is a good place to start looking for one, and take it there. Way too many horror stories across the web about these generic chains that claim to do good work on vehicles. Went to a local Firestone to get a quote for a replacement radiator and thermostat on the G. Quoted me $691 for all parts and labor so I laughed a bit and went to rockauto, ordered a Denso rad. and a new thermostat. Shipped to the house for $93 total so with a gallon of concentrated Prestone and a gallon of distilled water fixed her myself in a little over an hour for $100.

Now I get not everyone can DIY even a simple project like this but I tell my story to prove a point, chain auto repair shops are out there for one reason, to make a lot of money on suckers who trust them. Go where you want people but when you get fvcked I'll be happy to say I told you so.
Meineke has free diag for that simple issue, just pulled here now, I'll tell you guys what's the problem in a bit

Old 10-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream

Yeah I prefer to do the work myself. Im coming from owning a wrangler in which for the past 3 years I've done a majority of the work myself (everything except welding). This included full suspension (lift, control arms, shocks, track bars), transfer case work, engine mounts, tranny mounts, axle swaps, fluid flushes and changes, etc etc.
I have no issue doing work myself as long as I know what exactly is wrong. If I can't figure it out I have two trusted mechanics I only let touch my vehicles. One family friend, another a friend of mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel hub?