G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Broke timing chain, need advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke timing chain, need advice.

Whats up guys. Back in April I spun a rod bearing and decided to rebuild the motor myself. I did eagle rods, wiseco 11.1 pistons, acl bearings, etc. I didn't however change the timing components as I've heard on these cars they last a long long time (looking back now, I know I should have replaced them. It's done now and that's not the point). The other day on my way to work the chain broke. I didn't hear any crunching or grinding noises, and the engine didn't jerk or seize at all, shut off the same as if I turned off the key. It still turns over perfectly smooth with no strange noises. I know there is more than likely valve damage, but need some help deciding what to do. Should I try pulling the heads in the car and send them out to be rebuilt, or should I pull the motor, send heads to be rebuilt, replace all the bearings again, etc. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid but I'm just trying to do things right this time and avoid more unnecessary problems in the future

Old 10-17-2016, 11:05 PM
Well today I pulled the rocket covers to run a leakdown. First thing I noticed when I took the covers off was that all 4 cams were sitting just right where all the valves were closed (good sign so far). Did a leakdown on all 6 cylinders, manually making sure all valves for that cylinder were closed. Put 100 psi in each cylinder and it shows less than a 5% leakage from each one (identical to what it was when I assembled the engine a few months back). They held enough pressure to actually force the piston in that cylinder down and make the car jolt forward until caught by the parking brake/wheel chocks. Did I completely luck out on this one and get off with no bent valves? Or is there a possibility they are still slightly bent

Old 10-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Any input guys?

Old 10-19-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
if money and not being able to drive your car for a little bit, is not an issue. then i would take the heads off have them checked really well, and possibly replace your valves. thats for peace of mind. you could just fix the chain and see how it goes. but its your money and your car.

P.S. if you take the heads off then you can see if there was any contact with the pistons

Old 10-19-2016, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by hurleyguys
if money and not being able to drive your car for a little bit, is not an issue. then i would take the heads off have them checked really well, and possibly replace your valves. thats for peace of mind. you could just fix the chain and see how it goes. but its your money and your car.

P.S. if you take the heads off then you can see if there was any contact with the pistons
Well, I could make it happen if I absolutely had to, but it wouldn't be easy, especially this time of year. How much would the valves likely be leaking if there was any contact? Maybe put the chain on and run a compression test before actually starting the motor? I'd hate to pull the motor again and find that everything is totally fine just to put it back together but I'd also hate to have a slightly bent valve and have it break and drop