G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Pulled over TWICE! P2a00 Code! Kuruma Front license Plate.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Pulled over TWICE! P2a00 Code! Kuruma Front license Plate.

Hello fellow G Riders!

I got pulled over around September and got a ticket for my exhaust (noise) and my supposedly “illegal intake.” (Yes, I have my carb sticker) He said they didn’t do testing this for the 06 model. Got home and found out it’s totally legal for 2006 year. *https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d...o/D-550-16.pdf Probably just wanted to screw me over.
Ticket code 27156 (B) - Intake
Ticket code 27151 (A) - loud exhaust.
Threw in “must see state ref.”

Mod list:
HKS Hi-Power Dual Exhaust
Art Test Pipes v2 *YES I DID PUT BACK MY CATS ON FOR THE TEST*
Takeda Intake *I put the OEM Intake back on as well*
MotorDyne MREV2
MotorDyne Plenum Spacer

The day before my State Ref appointment my SES came on and gave me P2A00 so I just erased it knowing I would fail the smog part. Anyways, I went to the Ref station and my (dB) reading was 93.80, so I passed noise part. The only problem is my OBD II was not ready. So they told me to keep driving it since my o2, cat, and evap was not ready..

This past October.., I changed out the Bank 1 Sensor 1 with Bosch but the code still came back. My mech told me to buy an OEM one in case its a faulty sensor. My friend who works for Nissan got me an OEM one for cheap but after 40~60 miles it came back.

Gave up and had my mechanic look at it. He did a smoke test, and he did see a small smoke coming out. He said I don’t have an exhaust leak but I have a vacuum leak. My PCV Hose and my Ventilation Hose were hard as a rock. So I replaced those and changed out my spark plugs since it was due. My mechanic showed me that my plenum spacer was cracked so he sealed it up with silicone. However, after 50~60 miles SES came back.

My mech said since the SES showed up when I put back my cats, it might be a bad cat. A friend of mine is letting me borrow his cats to see if fixes it. Bringing it on Monday and having my mech change it out no charge. (Recently I started to smell fuel, so it really might be a bad cat)

Anyone experienced this problem before? or would like to chime in. I've done a lot of research but at this point I'll take what I can get..

TL;DR
P2A00 Code came on after installing my OEM cats and OEM intake.
-no exhaust leak
-no intake leak
-Replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1
-Replaced 2 vacuum lines
-Replaced spark plugs
-Sealed up my crack plenum spacer
-(Borrowing a friends cat to test if it is a bad cat on Monday)

Side note for those with Kuruma Front Bumper. I’m really considering putting my plates on cause I got pulled over again. He tried to give me a ticket for loud exhaust and car being low but showed him the documents that I am in the process of fixing it so he just gave me a no front license plate ticket. I am thinking of getting Stillen bracket but I am aware that the Kuruma bumper covers part of tow hook. I’ve seen a few G35 coupe were it doesn’t cover the tow hook part but it might have to do with the year of the car. Example: https://www.z1motorsports.com/images...4-06%20(5).JPG

I saw an old thread back in 2008 and saw a picture of an adapter for the aftermarket bumper. Don't think they are selling them anymore.. If someone has one or can make something like that I will buy it! I don't really mind putting plates now because I have custom vanity plates.

Cheers fellow G drivers!

Old 11-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Update: November 7, 2016

I replaced my cats with a friend of mine. After 20 miles SES light came back on.
So much headache...
Can anyone give me advice?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
That code points to the bank one sensor, but if we were to over simplify it's a bad air fuel ratio code; I'd start from the top. Did you have the stock MAF on your CAI? And if not have you tried it with the aftermarket version since the code came on or tried cleaning the stock MAF? In other words have you tried putting the old parts back on to see if the code clears?

Also, did you have a tune done for the art pipes? Maybe the map doesn't work right with the cats. If so do you have a stock map you can upload?

These are just guesses, but it seems to have something to do with the parts you replaced. It would be a strange coincidence otherwise.

As far as the license plate: double sided tape (3M), have the cop sign off on it, then take it back off.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 PM
I believe its a stock MAF on my CAI. I have not tried an aftermarket version. I believe my mech cleaned my stock MAF (will double check tomorrow).

I bought this car from this forum 2+ years ago. He originally had Takata Intake installed along and had stock cats installed. (He did an UpRev Tune when the art pipes was installed, he said to don't do a tune on this car)

I installed the art pipes earlier this year and didn't do a tune.
What do you mean by the MAP? Do you mean the voltages when I run my scanner?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by garfield
I believe its a stock MAF on my CAI. I have not tried an aftermarket version. I believe my mech cleaned my stock MAF (will double check tomorrow).

I bought this car from this forum 2+ years ago. He originally had Takata Intake installed along and had stock cats installed. (He did an UpRev Tune when the art pipes was installed, he said to don't do a tune on this car)

I installed the art pipes earlier this year and didn't do a tune.
What do you mean by the MAP? Do you mean the voltages when I run my scanner?
Wait, I'm confused. You're saying he got it tuned with Uprev when he installed the art pipes but then you installed art pipes without a tune? If he installed Uprev, you're tuned.

A MAP is the programming of your ecu. Whenever you change parts that have to do with air fuel ratio, you get a tune which rewrites the ecu program based on the parts you have installed.

What I'm thinking is if you are tuned for all these mods and then you put all these stock parts on your ecu may be dealing with some funky A/F numbers. I'm not a tuner, so if there's one here please chime in. This is a learning ecu, so I may be wrong but it only learns within certain parameters, so if you had a WHOLE bunch of mods, you may be far outside of those parameters at this point.

If it's tuned with Uprev, you already have the licence, but you'll need a cable and stock map if this is the case. Then, since you don't have the current map on file you'll have to pay someone to write you a new tune.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Wait, I'm confused. You're saying he got it tuned with Uprev when he installed the art pipes but then you installed art pipes without a tune? If he installed Uprev, you're tuned.

A MAP is the programming of your ecu. Whenever you change parts that have to do with air fuel ratio, you get a tune which rewrites the ecu program based on the parts you have installed.

What I'm thinking is if you are tuned for all these mods and then you put all these stock parts on your ecu may be dealing with some funky A/F numbers. I'm not a tuner, so if there's one here please chime in. This is a learning ecu, so I may be wrong but it only learns within certain parameters, so if you had a WHOLE bunch of mods, you may be far outside of those parameters at this point.

If it's tuned with Uprev, you already have the licence, but you'll need a cable and stock map if this is the case. Then, since you don't have the current map on file you'll have to pay someone to write you a new tune.
So the original owner installed the ART Pipes and UpRev Tuned it. Before he sold it to me he put back the cats on. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Two years later, I decided to install the ART Pipes and ran fine with no code and no tune. However, after installing back the cats and oem intake SES went on.

Ohhh. Yeah then I don't have a MAP for my ecu.

I think you might be right about the ecu getting funky A/F numbers. I've listed all the mods as far as engine mods and exhaust.

UpRev Tune was done by Z car garage. Maybe I should try to get in contact with them to see if I can get a copy of the map.

http://www.zcarblog.com/2013/10/13/p...unals-g35.html

Old 11-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Holy Crap Garfield, who keeps pulling you over LAPD or Sheriffs dept.? Hope you find a solution to your error code issues! My tuner is close by but when I start throwing error codes I drop by CarZone in Van Nuys on Sepulveda (818-373-1330) and get it fixed. They can also get your ride smogged. It's amazing when you take your G to someone that actually knows how to fix any problems you have, how easy it is! KurumaZ bumper, Stillen's gizmo probably won't work! Two nuts, two screws and bolt that license plate to the lower grille...issue solved! With all my mods including never a front plate, tint and a louder than OE exhaust the Sheriffs dept never looks my way!
Gary

Old 11-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Holy Crap Garfield, who keeps pulling you over LAPD or Sheriffs dept.? Hope you find a solution to your error code issues! My tuner is close by but when I start throwing error codes I drop by CarZone in Van Nuys on Sepulveda (818-373-1330) and get it fixed. They can also get your ride smogged. It's amazing when you take your G to someone that actually knows how to fix any problems you have, how easy it is! KurumaZ bumper, Stillen's gizmo probably won't work! Two nuts, two screws and bolt that license plate to the lower grille...issue solved! With all my mods including never a front plate, tint and a louder than OE exhaust the Sheriffs dept never looks my way!
Gary
LAPD keeps pulling me over! At this point i might as well install my takata intake again to see if it does anything. Van Nuys is quite a drive for me unless they can provide a loaner but I'll give them a call. Unfortunately I have to smog it at the Ref station. They're the only one that can sign it off.

I heard that sometimes they get nit picky and say it has to be bolted on. I'm going to use an L bracket and use 3m double sided tape. The other end i will bolt on my plate. To be safe I'm going to put a binder clip on the other end.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Garfield, it's possible Donald at CarZone could fix your issues in a short period of time and you wouldn't need to leave it. They're open Saturdays, make an appointment arrive at 9:00 AM and be driving home by noon! Trying to help!
Gary

Old 11-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Garfield, it's possible Donald at CarZone could fix your issues in a short period of time and you wouldn't need to leave it. They're open Saturdays, make an appointment arrive at 9:00 AM and be driving home by noon! Trying to help!
Gary
I'll go ahead and do one more step basically put back my takata intake and see if it does anything..

If it doesn't work I will go ahead and give them a call. Will probably have to ask the court for an extension since my ecu is messing up.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Final Update: December 2, 2016

So I decided to put back my Takeda Intake back on. Didn't fix it. I decided to go with a tuner couple weeks back to see the parameters. REALLY GLAD I DID.

We drove to look at the figures and he said the numbers are off. Looked under the hood and he did a thoroughly inspection. He sprayed my hoses to check for any leaks and did a smoke test to be sure. Then he checked the fuel rail line. My O ring was chipped and my fuel line was leaking! We replaced it. We drove around again and he said the numbers seems kind of off but was correcting itself. (What's funny is that it was on the same side I was having trouble with, Bank 1)

For the fk of it we replaced the downstream sensor and drove it. He said he's fully confident he fixed the P2A00 code!

As of today, I passed my emission. BYE $800 TICKET!
I'd like to thank for ya'll input and guidance!
Shout out to Sebastian from Specialty Z!

Old 12-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Seb is a good dude and I'm glad he was able to sort everything out.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has P2A00 remained off? I have had my tuner check for leaks, cleaned MAF, replaced Bank 1 Senor 1 (I only am throwing P2A00), did throttle relearn procedure and SES still comes on every 100-700 miles. I disconnect the battery and my g runs like a bat out of hell for ~200 miles and then code comes on and it runs like **** (worse mileage, doesn't pull as hard). Rinse and repeat. If your still not throwing a code I may suggest that my tuner inspect my fuel rail line.

06 6MT <40,000 miles as of this post
MD 5/16 spacer
MREV2
Z-tube
Berk HFC
HKS catback exhaust
Uprev Dyno Tune after all parts installed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.