G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What should I do with my old rims?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What should I do with my old rims?

When I first purchased my black 04 coupe the first thing I did was plastidip the stock 18" rims black. I live in an apartment and I made Haggard Garage look bad because I barely taped or bagged off anything.

Replaced the rims a couple of months later and have had the stock ones in my closet for a couple of months. I'm finally getting around to scrubbing the dip off with a huge bottle of goo gone and a brush (nobody wants to buy/scrap rims covered in plastic in a can) and am left with a dilemma: should I scrap the rims or attempt to sell them? I slightly curbed the two front ones so that obviously reduces the value. The going rate for aluminum alloy in my area is like 50 cents a pound and based on research from this forum these rims are around 25ish pounds.

Should I scrap them for around 50 bucks or just try to sell them? Kind of a waste of a thread but I've quickly learned to consult this forum before I do anything relating to my G lol

Old 11-18-2016, 05:50 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Here's a thought, put on your big boy pants and just make a decision on your own. We're not your momma or your daddy, you don't need to get our permission to do something to YOUR car lolol.

Now I've got that out of the way if it were me I'd approach the situation logically and think it through.

What are my new rims and do I think I'll be happy with them long term?

Do I live in an area where winter wheels are nice to have to protect my valuable rims?

Should I keep a spare set of rims in case of emergency?

Do I really need the money and selling the stockers would help out, do I also have tires on them I could do the same
with? If so what's the cheapest way I could sell them, Craigslist perhaps?

Could I take off the Dip (always a bad idea on rims) and do something different with them to be able
to swap different sets from time to time?

Hopefully you get the idea by now. I'm definitely not saying to ever ask for opinions but sometimes the new members go overboard with that and basically let the forum tell them what to do with their cars and that's a tragedy to me. It's your ride so YOU be the main decision maker, you're the one who will have to live with the choices you'll make.........

The following users liked this post:
Lord Trazaza (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Here's a thought, put on your big boy pants and just make a decision on your own. We're not your momma or your daddy, you don't need to get our permission to do something to YOUR car lolol.

Now I've got that out of the way if it were me I'd approach the situation logically and think it through.

What are my new rims and do I think I'll be happy with them long term?

Do I live in an area where winter wheels are nice to have to protect my valuable rims?

Should I keep a spare set of rims in case of emergency?

Do I really need the money and selling the stockers would help out, do I also have tires on them I could do the same
with? If so what's the cheapest way I could sell them, Craigslist perhaps?

Could I take off the Dip (always a bad idea on rims) and do something different with them to be able
to swap different sets from time to time?

Hopefully you get the idea by now. I'm definitely not saying to ever ask for opinions but sometimes the new members go overboard with that and basically let the forum tell them what to do with their cars and that's a tragedy to me. It's your ride so YOU be the main decision maker, you're the one who will have to live with the choices you'll make.........
Thank you for all of those considerations. I honestly cheaped out on the rims I currently have but have not grown tired of them. I do not live in a snowy area and don't have the old tires. I really could use the money right now, so I guess I'll just sell them. The reason I was taking the dip off was because the scrap place I called told me I should try to remove it or they might have to charge me. The dip has not turned into concrete, I only drove with the dip on for less than 2 months. The first rim I de-dipped is actually polishing up nicely.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:47 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If they're in decent shape you should be able to get between $300-400 or more. Fortunately they're still pretty well sought after and when you qualify to post in the Marketplace here this forum is a good place to sell things. Only possible PITA would be you might have to ship them but the seller will pay the charges. Try your local Craigslist or look on Facebook to see if you have one or more local FS pages. I live in relatively small town on the Texas coast and we have at least 6 FB pages I know of I could post car parts for sale.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Ok Blue now you can lock this one up...lmao

Selling them for scrap isn't a great since they're worth a lot more than they offer! On F.B. there are several Infiniti and G35 sights where you could sell them. Watch our Marketplace so you can see what other members are selling like wheels for sale and price yours accordingly. Remove the Plastidip crud and clean them inside and out so they look as close to new as possible...Good Luck with the Sale!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.