G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Im new here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im new here

Hey guys im new here..my name is prince and im fromt the caribbean .. i currently own a 320 bmw e46 2003 model and im REALLY interested in getting myself a g35 6mt coupe..any tips?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to G35 Driver Prince! My best advice, forget about buying the first gen G35 MT due to issues with cheap Chinese oil rings! Oil consumption is a problem that can only be corrected by total rebuild or replacement...there's no easy fix! I've never heard of anyone having those kinda issues with the G37 and it's a similar body style...Gary

Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Welcome to G35 Driver Prince! My best advice, forget about buying the first gen G35 MT due to issues with cheap Chinese oil rings! Oil consumption is a problem that can only be corrected by total rebuild or replacement...there's no easy fix! I've never heard of anyone having those kinda issues with the G37 and it's a similar body style...Gary
Whoa. Sorry, but that is a bit extreme. Including the 350z there have been hundreds of thousands of these motors built, to simple conclude they are all junk and should be avoided is utterly ridiculous, I think you need a pair of glasses... The G37 may be a similar style but looks nothing like a G35, styling is totally different.

As for the OP whatever you intend on byuing a pre purchase inspection is a must as these cars are getting up their in age and most have seen several owners and have been molested.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
All g35's are capable of oil consumption. Don't fool . yourself into thinking the early ones do not. I've owned an 03 and an 05 and they both burn some, albeit not much.
Tips - buy the cleanest low mileage vehicle you can in your budget, and have fun

Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Whoa. Sorry, but that is a bit extreme. Including the 350z there have been hundreds of thousands of these motors built, to simple conclude they are all junk and should be avoided is utterly ridiculous, I think you need a pair of glasses... The G37 may be a similar style but looks nothing like a G35, styling is totally different. They're not that fugly! lmao
Not extreme at all, when Nissan claims using a quart of oil every 3K miles is normal and then it only gets worse after a few thousand miles. Doesn't matter how much you spend on quality synthetic or filters you eventually have OC! Nissan will never give out the figures but I'd bet there were hundreds of thousands of VQ motors replace because they used cheap azz Chinese rings! Would I recommend anyone buying a first gen G35 coupe/sedan or Z? Not!
Gary

Old 12-15-2016, 11:54 PM
Not extreme at all, when Nissan claims using a quart of oil every 3K miles is normal and then it only gets worse after a few thousand miles. Doesn't matter how much you spend on quality synthetic or filters you eventually have OC! Nissan will never give out the figures but I'd bet there were hundreds of thousands of VQ motors replace because they used cheap azz Chinese rings! Would I recommend anyone buying a first gen G35 coupe/sedan or Z? Not!
Gary
Lol Gary I usually agree with literally everything you say here, but I'm sure Nissan didn't replace "hundreds of thousands" of engines due to OC, the hit the company would take is astronomical

Old 12-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Mignav01
Lol Gary I usually agree with literally everything you say here, but I'm sure Nissan didn't replace "hundreds of thousands" of engines due to OC, the hit the company would take is astronomical
I'm sure it was...

Old 12-16-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm sure it was...
Haha I guess. Oh well like you said, they'll never let us know and we'll never really find out, ah well

Old 12-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
It helps to have perspective...

Old 12-17-2016, 08:00 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Great chart, amidst all the criticism of the OC issues with the VQ lots of people forget it's still one of the best motors that have been produced in the last 20 years. Nothing's perfect folks..........

Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Whoa. Sorry, but that is a bit extreme. Including the 350z there have been hundreds of thousands of these motors built, to simple conclude they are all junk and should be avoided is utterly ridiculous, I think you need a pair of glasses... The G37 may be a similar style but looks nothing like a G35, styling is totally different.

As for the OP whatever you intend on byuing a pre purchase inspection is a must as these cars are getting up their in age and most have seen several owners and have been molested.
hmmm so what is the best year to buy?... last i checked the 03 04 models came with the brembo package but no LED lights..but the 05 06 model came with the rev up engine that consumes oil but no brembo kit... which is best?..

Old 12-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
The VQ35DE has great torque, but that's about it. It's a rough, dirty engine that swalllows oil. The fact that it was on the Wards best list for that long just goes to show how bad engines were back then.

I agree 100% that if I were in the market I would go for the G37 as well, even though I don't like the styling as much.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
And if you're going for a 6spd, definitely go for the 37. The revup engine is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by JZ39
And if you're going for a 6spd, definitely go for the 37. The revup engine is a disaster waiting to happen.
That's a bit much. The 37 isn't that much better or without its problems (clutch ) and it's also ugly in comparison to a g35. To the OP, you pretty much have it right, as someone who's owned both generation G coupes in 6 speeds, they're not that much different, and I can't feel the power difference between the two that much. If you like the brembos, get an 03 or 04, if you really really want a revup, get one of those.

Please don't listen to these people who are saying it's a catastrophic failure, some are, but most arent. Best of luck and if you have any questions ask away

Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mignav01
That's a bit much. The 37 isn't that much better or without its problems (clutch ) and it's also ugly in comparison to a g35. To the OP, you pretty much have it right, as someone who's owned both generation G coupes in 6 speeds, they're not that much different, and I can't feel the power difference between the two that much. If you like the brembos, get an 03 or 04, if you really really want a revup, get one of those.

Please don't listen to these people who are saying it's a catastrophic failure, some are, but most arent. Best of luck and if you have any questions ask away
This is it right here. The VQDE has been used in millions of applications across the entire Nissan/Infiniti line. Many of them are still on the original engine with well past 200,000km on them. Many G's have had the **** beaten out of them and they still run on the original engine. To make a blanket statement that all are a catastrophe is beyond ridiculous. Actually shocked Gary would post something like that.

Originally Posted by Prince1017
hmmm so what is the best year to buy?... last i checked the 03 04 models came with the brembo package but no LED lights..but the 05 06 model came with the rev up engine that consumes oil but no brembo kit... which is best?..
I can only tell you about my experience and the previous owners experience who was a friend of mine I've owned mine for 2 years now, not a drop of oil has been consumed, then again, car has 63,000km and I change the oil every 2500km or twice/year. It's also not dricen hard. Previous owner never added oil either. Only conventional has been used since knew, always at the dealer. When I inquired about synthetic oil, dealer told me they could if I wanted too but they do not recommended it. So I stick to conventional 5w-30 since that is what's been used since knew.

I would suggest if you can get an 03-04 Brembo, that would be my first choice, (brakes are amazing) preferably an 04 as they would have a newer version of the 6MT, earlier versions have soft synchros. I'll repeat again, whatever you get, take it to an Infiniti dealer and not an independant mechanic for a thorough inspection. The dealer will be able to tell you if the car has had any worked or complaints regarding oil consumption in it's life while under warranty. Unfortunately any oil burning is going to be difficult to diagnose so just like any used car, it's going to require a leap of faith. Just keep in mind, OC issues happen on pretty much any high performance car. The advantage of a G is that repairs and parts are pretty reasonable. Good luck and keep us posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.