G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Gas tank constant shutting off fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas tank constant shutting off fuel

Every time I go to fill up gas, regardless of how much gas is in the car, the fuel handle shuts off almost immediately. I try to play with the handle from the fuel pump moving it at different angles to try and get gas in the tank. Sometimes I'm lucky and get a gallon or two before it shuts off before I re-position the fuel handle for another gallon or two...if I'm lucky I get a gallon or two before I need to re-position it again...

My gauge shows the correct amount of gas in tank, I already tried cleaning the sending units with Q-tip, I also installed the FLV cover bracket mentioned in ITB08-041a but neither of those did anything.

I read a post where someone who had a 2004 g35 coupe mentioned that the dealership installed a new gas tank in their car and that fixed the problem...but wouldn't the 2006 models already have the newer gas tank design? Has anyone had this same issue happen on a 2006 g35 coupe?

Also I know there is a shutter valve TSB out there but it's only for 2003-2005 G35 so I'm assuming my 2006 tank is different...right?

TIA!

Last edited by phatrabbitzz; 01-07-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Can we assume this happens at all gas stations? The Chevron by me will have an occasional pump that continually shuts off long before SLICK'S tank is even close to full. Check in with Nissan and ask them if there's a fix for this issue...Gary

Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Can we assume this happens at all gas stations? The Chevron by me will have an occasional pump that continually shuts off long before SLICK'S tank is even close to full. Check in with Nissan and ask them if there's a fix for this issue...Gary
Yes happens at all gas stations. Just contact any nissan dealership? I spoke with a Nissan tech today and he told me to call the Infiniti dealership....Do you have a specific Nissan contact I can reach out to? I'm in SoCal.

Last edited by phatrabbitzz; 01-07-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If you live in SFV or areas north of L.A. I use an independent Nissan mechanic in Van Nuys that does excellent work. CarZone 818-373-1330 Living in Santa Clarita (magic mountain) I've used our Nissan dealership off an on since they were called Datsuns. The only time I've gone to the Infiniti Stealership was for warranty work or parts. Not a fan of their attitudes, prices or mechanics. Very surprised anyone at Nissan would send you to Infiniti. This gas tank issue isn't new, anyone familiar with our G's should have the answers...Gary

Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
The shutter valve can still fail even though the TSB doesn't cover your year car. Is your CEL on at all with a code for an EVAP system leak? A pressure leak in the fuel system can cause this to happen as well but the ECU should pick this up in the EVAP system self test procedure that runs regularly as the vehicle operates.

Do you live in an area with road salt where rust is a problem?

Old 01-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
The shutter valve can still fail even though the TSB doesn't cover your year car. Is your CEL on at all with a code for an EVAP system leak? A pressure leak in the fuel system can cause this to happen as well but the ECU should pick this up in the EVAP system self test procedure that runs regularly as the vehicle operates.

Do you live in an area with road salt where rust is a problem?
No CEL at all and don't live in an area with road salt where rust is a problem.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by phatrabbitzz

Also I know there is a shutter valve TSB out there but it's only for 2003-2005 G35 so I'm assuming my 2006 tank is different...right?
The TSB for fixing axle clicking is only for 2003-2005 models, but I still had to do it on my 06. Might check into it anyway. A lot of those TSBs came out when the 06 models were fairly new and weren't showing the same problems, yet.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
The TSB for fixing axle clicking is only for 2003-2005 models, but I still had to do it on my 06. Might check into it anyway. A lot of those TSBs came out when the 06 models were fairly new and weren't showing the same problems, yet.
I didn't want to read that but I think you're right. Went ahead and ordered the part, we'll see if that does the trick.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Well this is still a never ending issue, I installed the shutter valve and even went to Donald @ carzone and seems like there isn't anything else to do. Has anyone actually been able to resolve this issue? Not sure what to do at this point short of purchasing a used gas tank swapping them out and hoping for the best...

Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
This is the clogged evap system hose that we all got the warranty extension letter about a few months ago, right? Do a search for evap letter or warranty extension and you'll come across the thread where this problem is discussed. This happens to my car occasionally but not enough to bother having it fixed. I can fill at the few problematic pumps at about half speed and get the tank full. I always know pretty well how much fuel I should be able to fill because I set my trip meter religiously because of all the gauge problems I read about.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:36 AM
Is that hose accessible from under the car? If so I might try to give it a look myself. I'm still under 150K miles but dealer wants $150 to diagnose the issue and won't refund if they determine it not be the hose.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Premier Member

Is that hose accessible from under the car? If so I might try to give it a look myself. I'm still under 150K miles but dealer wants $150 to diagnose the issue and won't refund if they determine it not be the hose.
yes it is. You can thank all those people who thought this was a recall and ran out to the dealership even though their cars weren't showing symptoms. I'm at 243k miles, so no warranty options for me, I was considering buying the parts for both TSBs (the cover in the gas tank, and the hoses for recent issue) and hoping they work.

I've also narrowed it down to Costco pumps being the most sensitive, other stations I can lock the pump at the lower setting and fill up the tank.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by LoSt180
I was considering buying the parts for both TSBs (the cover in the gas tank, and the hoses for recent issue) and hoping they work.
I'm not sure why the hoses need to be replaced, even online those hoses $100 and double at the dealer. The TSB mentions they are clogged, and if they come off then it should be pretty easy to unclog them no? Haven't been able to find any threads with pics of hose removal.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Premier Member

I'm not sure why the hoses need to be replaced, even online those hoses $100 and double at the dealer. The TSB mentions they are clogged, and if they come off then it should be pretty easy to unclog them no? Haven't been able to find any threads with pics of hose removal.
probably no pics online because everyone still has warranties and ran off to the dealerships, lol. If I end up doing to myself, I'll write up a DIY if anyone still checks forums these days.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:02 PM
A DIY or some direction on how to get to that tube to check it out and clean it would be great. Still having this issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.