G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Radiator Support cracked tab

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Radiator Support cracked tab

My radiator support tab is cracked where the bumper attaches. The car came like this and the bumper sags a little as a result. It wasn't much of a concern before, but I have a new bumper coming today. Does anyone have some ideas on a DIY fix for this?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
What if you tried taking some of this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...2037/204225755

Bend it so that it matches the shape of the top of the support, down the front of it and along the top edge of where the screw hole is, around the side and then down underneath and along the bottom of the support. Screw it into the top and bottom side of the support and you should be able to then put the rivet for the bumper into it.

You'll have to bend it a bunch to get it to fit the desired shape, but fortunately you only need a small piece to make the part you need, so just buy a single 36" piece for like under $5 and you will have plenty of material to try like 6 or 7 times to get it right if need be.

Aluminum tends to be easier to bend but I'm not sure where you'd get that in aluminum and didn't look too hard for an aluminum version. Heating it up a bit with a heat gun will help you be able to bend it more easily. If you can't bend it sharp enough to make it go 180 degrees over the end where the support is broken, you could probably just cut it off there and make a top and bottom piece and use a screw and nut instead of a rivet, so the screw holds the top and bottom chunks together as well as holds your bumper on. This assumes you can get a wrench or small socket in under the bottom to hold the nut still as you tighten the bolt/screw from the top.

1/16" aluminum punched flat bar would probably be ideal if you could find something that thin in aluminum. They make something like this that is used for fastening electrical wiring to homes but I'm not sure what it's called.

Last edited by partyman66; 01-31-2017 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CFE4130 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
What if you tried taking some of this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...2037/204225755

Bend it so that it matches the shape of the top of the support, down the front of it and along the top edge of where the screw hole is, around the side and then down underneath and along the bottom of the support. Screw it into the top and bottom side of the support and you should be able to then put the rivet for the bumper into it.

You'll have to bend it a bunch to get it to fit the desired shape, but fortunately you only need a small piece to make the part you need, so just buy a single 36" piece for like under $5 and you will have plenty of material to try like 6 or 7 times to get it right if need be.

Aluminum tends to be easier to bend but I'm not sure where you'd get that in aluminum and didn't look too hard for an aluminum version. Heating it up a bit with a heat gun will help you be able to bend it more easily. If you can't bend it sharp enough to make it go 180 degrees over the end where the support is broken, you could probably just cut it off there and make a top and bottom piece and use a screw and nut instead of a rivet, so the screw holds the top and bottom chunks together as well as holds your bumper on. This assumes you can get a wrench or small socket in under the bottom to hold the nut still as you tighten the bolt/screw from the top.

1/16" aluminum punched flat bar would probably be ideal if you could find something that thin in aluminum. They make something like this that is used for fastening electrical wiring to homes but I'm not sure what it's called.
Thanks. I think I understand. At least I have an idea of using the flat bar from Home Depot.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:06 AM
It worked, but I didn't do it as you described. I cut off a square piece and JB welded it to the radiator support. I had to trim an edge to make the bumper fit, but the hole in the metal was the perfect size. Thanks again!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by CFE4130
It worked, but I didn't do it as you described. I cut off a square piece and JB welded it to the radiator support. I had to trim an edge to make the bumper fit, but the hole in the metal was the perfect size. Thanks again!
Well done!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.