G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Cai-muffler delete-5/16 plenum spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cai-muffler delete-5/16 plenum spacer

Wassup. So I'm pretty much a noob in a way.. so heres my questions, i got a 2005 g35 coupe and got a dc cold air intake, 5/16 plenum and i dont have funds for a expensive exhaust so i deleted my mufflers. I know i lose torque even tho it sure *** heck dont feel like it.. anyways... do i have to get a tune for the bolt ons to take full effect?. Or just reflash my ecu?.. because i read on threads here that you need a tune only if your going FI.. im not expecting anything dramatic just a couple of horses. Any advise?.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
The biggest air flow gains are yet to be had by removing cats and replacing with test pipes/HFC
Then the majority of power gains will be felt after a tune.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
The biggest air flow gains are yet to be had by removing cats and replacing with test pipes/HFC
Then the majority of power gains will be felt after a tune.
Would test pipes make my car super loud?. And also would it throw a code?.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
With ghetto mods like muffler delete, removing the cats and replacing them with anything would cause a lean condition, you'll end up with error codes! If you can't afford a decent exhaust how would you be able to spend $500+ for a tune? Solution, buy and install a Magnflow replacement muffler which sounds better then OE! Leave the cats on, spend your $ on maintenance and frequent oil/filter changes.
Just enjoy your ride...Gary

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
All you want is "a couple of horses" yet you're willing to spend a significant amount of money to get them but can't afford a proper exhaust? Your priorities are way off base here because you won't feel any difference in the few HP you might pick up so why chase the tail of the dragon? And if you think you can you're only fooling yourself. You'd be smarter and better off spending a significant amount of money replacing all fluids, changing the belts, brake pads, all filters etc. at this point as I assume you bought a high mileage used car. Then after you've done that start saving money for unexpected repairs, gas, insurance and expenses like these related to the car. G's are not cheap to own or maintain and it's even worse if you can't DIY many repairs. My guess is you're going to ignore this advice so take it for what it's worth.

It's more important for your car to be serviced properly than to add something that kills power by sucking hot air in the engine bay through an open air filter. My suggestion, before you do another thing to your car spend several hours reading through this forum and learning as much about it as you can. It's very evident you haven't done much of that yet, "you need a tune only if you're going FI". Seriously?..................

Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
With ghetto mods like muffler delete, removing the cats and replacing them with anything would cause a lean condition, you'll end up with error codes! If you can't afford a decent exhaust how would you be able to spend $500+ for a tune? Solution, buy and install a Magnflow replacement muffler which sounds better then OE! Leave the cats on, spend your $ on maintenance and frequent oil/filter changes.
Just enjoy your ride...Gary
Well the exhaust i want is like 1700.. but a magnaflow i can do. Exept wouldn't it be too quiet?.. i do oil changes every 3k and just installed new brakes. 500 bucks for a tune does not sound bad if its worth it. I just dont know if it is worth it with simple bolt ons. Im trying to get schooled here.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
All you want is "a couple of horses" yet you're willing to spend a significant amount of money to get them but can't afford a proper exhaust? Your priorities are way off base here because you won't feel any difference in the few HP you might pick up so why chase the tail of the dragon? And if you think you can you're only fooling yourself. You'd be smarter and better off spending a significant amount of money replacing all fluids, changing the belts, brake pads, all filters etc. at this point as I assume you bought a high mileage used car. Then after you've done that start saving money for unexpected repairs, gas, insurance and expenses like these related to the car. G's are not cheap to own or maintain and it's even worse if you can't DIY many repairs. My guess is you're going to ignore this advice so take it for what it's worth.

It's more important for your car to be serviced properly than to add something that kills power by sucking hot air in the engine bay through an open air filter. My suggestion, before you do another thing to your car spend several hours reading through this forum and learning as much about it as you can. It's very evident you haven't done much of that yet, "you need a tune only if you're going FI". Seriously?..................
You wrong if your think im going to ignore good advice.. i see where your coming from and i agree... i have changed the brakes, has fresh oil, fresh spark plugs, coolant flush. I have not replaced the belts and its insured. I know a tune will make me run richer in certain aspects but what i wanted to know is if it matters since my bolts ons hardly do anything. Now im saving to buy a cat back. But for now whats a good muffler i can purchase.. i mean someone told me a magnaflow but i had one on a 335i and it was relatively quiet like stock.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your best bet would be to go the stickied exhaust system sound post at the top of the forum and listen to some of the examples in there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.