G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

radiator leaking, cant find solution.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiator leaking, cant find solution.

I have a 2004 G35 coupe and recently smelt a sweet coolant smell. I opened up the hood and found a spray from the cap towards the front of the engine(the car doesnt leak when the car is off, only when its running and pressurized). I replaced cap and found out that wasnt the problem. I bought a pressure tester and tried to diagnosis the problem. however, its not holding pressure because it appears to just go straight to the overflow hose. anyone know how to use one on the G? lol

The leak appears to be underneath the upper hose, but I want to be sure before replacing the hose.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by wolverine_sr24
I have a 2004 G35 coupe and recently smelt a sweet coolant smell. I opened up the hood and found a spray from the cap towards the front of the engine(the car doesnt leak when the car is off, only when its running and pressurized). I replaced cap and found out that wasnt the problem. I bought a pressure tester and tried to diagnosis the problem. however, its not holding pressure because it appears to just go straight to the overflow hose. anyone know how to use one on the G? lol

The leak appears to be underneath the upper hose, but I want to be sure before replacing the hose.
You have a thirteen year old vehicle and you are hesitant about replacing a hose?

I would say based on the age of your vehicle go replace the hoses, clamps, thermostat, water pump, coolant flush and belts if you intend to keep your vehicle.

You may also need a radiator.

Telcoman

Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by wolverine_sr24
I have a 2004 G35 coupe and recently smelt a sweet coolant smell. I opened up the hood and found a spray from the cap towards the front of the engine(the car doesnt leak when the car is off, only when its running and pressurized). I replaced cap and found out that wasnt the problem. I bought a pressure tester and tried to diagnosis the problem. however, its not holding pressure
You realize Nissan recommends swaping out radiator fluids every 30K miles? This also includes replacing belts and hoses if needed! It's far better to replace what's needed than to get stuck on the side of the road late at night with everything closed within miles of your location...think about it! Anything I replace always comes from Nissan, I like how there belts, hoses and wiper blades last...just a suggestion!
Gary

Old 02-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Just block off the overflow hose with one of those vacuum hose covers or put something in the hose. It could just be a clamp or you can cut of a small section of the old hose and use a new clamp.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When you're pressure testing it, you shouldn't be losing any coolant into the overflow unless your radiator cap is not holding pressure properly. At what pressure does it start to leak? If it's less than the rated pressure of the radiator cap then you need a new cap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.