G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

When taking off from a complete stop, do you blip the throttle or hold it steady?

Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When taking off from a complete stop, do you blip the throttle or hold it steady?

Just curious--

When taking off from a complete stop do you blip the throttle a few times (two or three) as you let off the clutch or do you bring it up to a certain RPM and hold the throttle steady.

Also, what RPM do you find is acceptable to hold/blip to without A) Burning the clutch or B) Stalling.

I find myself kinda blipping the throttle a couple times for the most part.. not sure which is better. Thanks!!

Old 02-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 coupe 6MT Brembo Premium
I just release the clutch while adding gas in one quick, fluid, feathery motion. This gets me going from about 1.5k-2k rpms. I've nearly perfected it to a point where it's immediate and smooth like taking off in an automatic. I don't keep the clutch at friction/engagement point for much more than a second. It's all about finding that 'perfect' balance and timing.

Some adjustment is needed - more throttle and up to half second extra clutch engagement when taking off uphill or in stop and go traffic in 90+ degree Southern California summer weather.

Last edited by Rawrster; 02-23-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawrster
I just release the clutch while adding gas in one quick, fluid, feathery motion. This gets me going from about 1.5k-2k rpms. I've nearly perfected it to a point where it's immediate and smooth like taking off in an automatic. I don't keep the clutch at friction/engagement point for much more than a second. It's all about finding that 'perfect' balance and timing.

Some adjustment is needed - more throttle and up to half second extra clutch engagement when taking off uphill or in stop and go traffic in 90+ degree Southern California summer weather.
Thanks. Appreciate it! Maybe I'm just hesitant. or daft.. I feel as though I shift pretty darn good 90% of the time.. but sometimes.. hmm.. I think I'm not aggressive enough with this type of vehicle.!!!!

Thanks anyway!

Old 02-24-2017, 06:26 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I never blip when engaging clutch in any vehicle. I usually don't even really raise my RPMs that much unless I'm doing an aggressive start... usually engaging somewhere around 1200-1500 RPM. Typical around town starts are basically just start to engage clutch and then meter throttle accordingly to keep the vehicle from bogging or RPMs from rising much until the clutch is fully engaged, and then get on the throttle.

If I'm going for a somewhat motivated start, I'll raise the revs a bit off the line (maybe 2200-2500 RPM) but definitely no blipping. I honestly haven't done any flat-out drag-race style starts with my G35 so I'm not sure what the best RPM is for a 100% optimized drag race style launch would be before you light up the rear tire (assuming traction control is off) or just have to slip the clutch too much to keep it from spinning.

Last edited by partyman66; 03-06-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Typical around town starts are basically just start to engage clutch and then meter throttle accordingly to keep the bike from bogging or RPMs from rising much until the clutch is fully engaged, and then get on the throttle.
I do exactly the same thing - I start letting off the clutch until I feel the spring, and then I begin to give it gas well before it stalls.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i blip it and launch like a maniac while burning rubber. #FU**YEAH

Old 03-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
No reason to blip the throttle or burn rubber when leaving a stop, it doesn't get you down the road any quicker! Let the clutch out until you feel it engage then apply as much gas to launch as needed...without lifting the front wheels!
Gary

Old 03-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I imagine blipping the throttle makes for very jerky starts. This is probably the driving style that results in need clutch replacements at only 60k miles. Should be one smooth motion as others have stated, let off clutch - ease into gas.

The helper spring on these cars really make "feeling" the engagement point a bit difficult. Removing that thing a few years ago has made a world of difference.

Uprev ARC launch control holds RPM at 3200 by default, I have to launch then immediately feather off the gas to limit wheel spin. This is even with 285 rear tires, stock tires don't stand a chance.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.