G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Driver side window problem, motor, or regulator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver side window problem, motor, or regulator?

Hello all!

I am about a year into my purchase with my G35 coupe 6MT. Yesterday, I was driving and noticed a weird sound when I was rolling up my window. To my surprise, it doesn't roll down anymore. I cannot hear the motor, and the window does not automatically slide down when you open the door. I am looking on eBay right now for a replacement part but I am confused as to which one I should buy? Is it the window motor, or the window regulator? Or should I get both? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
If you don't hear the motor you probably need a new one. Can you slide the window up/down by hand? I've owned my G since 2006 and never had any regulator problems, but not so much on my Audi. I did recently replace the window motor on my G.

Sometimes slamming the door shut will shock it into working again. I was doing that for while on my G before getting a new one.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 PM
I cannot slide the window up or down . I have also tried slamming the door, banging it, but it just wont budge. I know these cars having window issues, I just wanted to ask around to see if it was the motor or the regulator. Wasn't sure if I needed both. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Try taking the door panel off and disconnecting the motor. If you can slide the window up and down your regulator is probably fine. The motor could have seized and is not allowing it to move. If you take off the black panel cover on the door you can inspect the regulator.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM
LOL, I already bought the motor off of impatience I will update this thread when I take it apart myself this weekend. *Crosses fingers hoping its the window motor

Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sonford
LOL, I already bought the motor off of impatience I will update this thread when I take it apart myself this weekend. *Crosses fingers hoping its the window motor
It likely is the motor. Window regulators don't really go bad and when they do the window will likely fall into the door. The regulator is just guide rails with wire that the motor pulls on the control the window height. If that cable breaks the tension holding the window up is lost and you lose a window into the door.

The regulator may need to be cleaned and lubed as the guide rails will get dirty over time but it's unlikely anything is actually broken in the regulator itself.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Thank you! that was a wonderful explanation between a regulator and the window motor. I have looked up some DIY videos on how to clean the guide rails, so all that needs to be done is wait for the part to come in so I can start surgery

Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sonford
Thank you! that was a wonderful explanation between a regulator and the window motor. I have looked up some DIY videos on how to clean the guide rails, so all that needs to be done is wait for the part to come in so I can start surgery

No problem.

My only tip would be to not disassemble the motor and guide rails from the regulator while it's on the car. IMO it's much easier to handle when left as one piece and removed from the car that way and transferred to a work bench for the surgery. Remove the window as shown, then undo the 10 (I think it's 10) bolts attaching the regulator to the door, pry the sealant apart, then lift up and out so the regulator arms clear the bottom of the door.

The only tricky part to getting the regulator back in, is getting the window to line up correctly since the door is frameless. If you have someone to help you that would be great. There are two sets of three access holes (the larger black circles), the upper three allow for adjustment while the window and door are both closed. You'll need a person on the outside to ensure everything is sealed while you are inside and can tighten the window into place.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.