G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

05 G35 Coupe AT HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 G35 Coupe AT HELP!!!

Hello fellow G drivers! I just bought an 05 G35 coupe with an automatic transmission. I recently had the craziest thing happen to me while driving and wanted some input from you all. OK so I was driving on the turnpike going pretty fast for a long period of time. When I exited the highway and went to turn at the light, I noticed I had almost no acceleration. I looked at my gauges and saw that the AT Check light turned on and the service engine light was flashing. I quickly pulled over and smoke began to come from the engine. I noticed that I was leaking quite a bit of fluid. I noticed that the fluid did not seem to be oil. It was red in color so I assume it was transmission fluid. It also sprayed all over the rear bumper an trunk lid of my car. I lost about a quart of fluid in all. I got the car towed to my mechanic and he checked it out today. He said the code it threw was a misfire. He assumes the fluid was transmission fluid and that the people who previously serviced the tranny overfilled the fluid. He thinks the transmission overheated and dumped the excess fluid. He took off all the undercarriage guards and had me go get the car washed (undercarriage washed). When I returned, we checked for leaks and couldn't find any. He checked all my fluids and they were fine. The check engine light has stayed off. Is his explanation of what happened reasonable? Has anyone else experienced this before??? Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Man no feedback?!? Ok well here's an update... I had my mechanic service the transmission. He dropped the old fluid and replaced the filter and installed a new gasket and put in new fluid. Since then, I have NOT had any issues.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
could be slippin as well, clutches might be worn and old

Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
SoFloG...Welcome to G35 Driver Forums!

This happened to me several years ago with a different car I'd ordered. Trans was over filled and I'm driving down the freeway on my way home with a cloud of smoke behind me. As long as your AT is shifting correctly, no worries! Nissan suggests changing AT fluid every 30K miles, I change mine every year living in a warm climate. Again, welcome and enjoy the ride!
Gary

Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 AM
I also just got a 05 g35 coupe AT and whenever I stop driving I can smell something burning, last night I noticed some white smoking cooking from the bottom of my car.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Raise.... car..... and..... look......

Old 03-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFloG
Man no feedback?!? Ok well here's an update... I had my mechanic service the transmission. He dropped the old fluid and replaced the filter and installed a new gasket and put in new fluid. Since then, I have NOT had any issues.
SoFloG, glad to see everything is back to normal! All those warnings on your dash sure gets your attention. I have an '04 and the AT doesn't have a filter, are you sure your mechanic really replaced your filter?
Gary

Old 05-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
SoFloG, glad to see everything is back to normal! All those warnings on your dash sure gets your attention. I have an '04 and the AT doesn't have a filter, are you sure your mechanic really replaced your filter?
Gary
You're correct, he changed the gasket and fluid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.