G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Bumper Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Bumper Help!

So I posted about this a while back, I decided to look for quotes to get the bumper repaired and repainted to match my color. The bumper has been painted before by the previous owner and has terrible paint on it. I've gone to 3 shops and so far they have all said that it can't be fixed and I need to buy a new bumper, they then quoted $350-$450 to paint a primed bumper to match my color. So $300ish for a new bumper plus $350ish to paint it seems wayyyyyy too high. Anyone know of any shops who can fix this for me? Does not seem to difficult, in the SoCal Riverside area.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:19 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Just find a used, DG, bumper
You have the most popular colored G
Shouldn't be too hard

Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Just find a used, DG, bumper
You have the most popular colored G
Shouldn't be too hard
Its the brilliant silver color, I've found a few within the past month but they're too beat up for my liking

Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Living here in SoCal we have bumper specific body shops because the natives don't know how to drive! Try for a shop near you...Gary

Old 03-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly

Originally Posted by Montzster
So I posted about this a while back, I decided to look for quotes to get the bumper repaired and repainted to match my color. The bumper has been painted before by the previous owner and has terrible paint on it. I've gone to 3 shops and so far they have all said that it can't be fixed and I need to buy a new bumper, they then quoted $350-$450 to paint a primed bumper to match my color. So $300ish for a new bumper plus $350ish to paint it seems wayyyyyy too high. Anyone know of any shops who can fix this for me? Does not seem to difficult, in the SoCal Riverside area.

Truthfully bro, I would say take off the bumper, if that's a dent just beat it out with a hammer(rubber) and if any cracks splits appear just use some Bondo and then sand it. And I mean literally you have a common color, which is KY0-Brilliant Silver. Just google the color code and get a bottle of the spray. Wet Sand and then prime your bumper, and then hit it with that color.
Bondo - should be like $11
Sand paper- $5-$10
Primer - $7
KY0 - $20 - $50
And also clearcoat. But there are sites that have repair kits for like $45 - $60 and come with everything except bondo. But it does have some kind of putty to put in cracks if needed.

But yeah man do it yourself, or if you don't feel confident get all the things and have a good friend do it for you, if you were down here in TX I would offer to do it you just bring the stuff. Screw shops charging that much, they act like sanding priming and painting is the hardest thing in the world, and yes it's good to get it done professionally but for a small job like that honestly them charging over 120 is bullshit. Actually going over 90 is bullshit.. But anyways DIY you'll save a lot more money obviously ��, and it's not hard at all. Just take your time.

Last edited by Mikeygaza; 03-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM
DIY (do it yourself) isn't a great idea! All the silver colors are a PIA to match by body shops, using rattle cans to match the paint would be a joke...never happen! My idea of finding a Bumper Repair shop is still the best, no need to replace the bumper when it can be fixed and painted!
Gary

Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
DIY (do it yourself) isn't a great idea! All the silver colors are a PIA to match by body shops, using rattle cans to match the paint would be a joke...never happen! My idea of finding a Bumper Repair shop is still the best, no need to replace the bumper when it can be fixed and painted!
Gary
yeah going to a bumper repair shop is a good idea. But honestly they all overcharge for the work. And the rattle can actually does have the correct color in it to match, just get it from a proper vendor. There are tons online that have the correct color code, you just have to take your time and apply even coats. I've done it before and it looked perfectly fine tbh. The trick is painting a large enough section so the old paint blends well with the new one. It's just all tedious. But you can definitely do it yourself.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Update! Came out really good!

Old 03-25-2017, 01:03 AM
Update looks good!

Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Look'in good!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.