G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 oil dip stick

Old 04-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Sig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G35 oil dip stick

Ok what's the trick with this damn thing? Everytime I pull the thing out from it's twisted slanted contraption it has oil all the way down the stick and it pointless.

It's hard enough to check with fairly new oil on a normal 'straight' stick but I can't get this one to work for anything.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
I agree. It's really hard to tell where it lays on the stick when the oil is new.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:39 PM
The engineer who designed this thing should be shot. You have to let the oil settle for a couple of hours before you can gat any kind of accurate reading, and it takes 10 minutes to get the dipstick back into the slot. Amazing.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never have any problems with mine. I think the trick, is to twist it as you insert/remove it. On mine, to remove it:

I pull it to straight to the right, and twist my hand to the right while grasping the dipstick with my left hand. Comes out in a snap.

To reinsert, I do the opposite. I insert the dipstick, and twist my hand, and push straight to the left...

Old 04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yep, I too felt the dipstick was impossible to read while the oil is new.

Old 04-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by avs007
I never have any problems with mine. I think the trick, is to twist it as you insert/remove it. On mine, to remove it:

I pull it to straight to the right, and twist my hand to the right while grasping the dipstick with my left hand. Comes out in a snap.

To reinsert, I do the opposite. I insert the dipstick, and twist my hand, and push straight to the left...
Okay, I can get it out and in. But can you read it? I agree with the original poster. The dipstick is a very unreliable tool for reading oil levels.

My theory is that the oil coating the dipstick from handle to tip is the result of oil being pulled up the dipstick sleave. So I try to pull it, clean it, reinsert and repeat up to 3 times in search of an accurate reading. A total hassle that makes the whole process a complete turn off.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Sig
Originally Posted by calejohnson
Okay, I can get it out and in. But can you read it? I agree with the original poster. The dipstick is a very unreliable tool for reading oil levels.

My theory is that the oil coating the dipstick from handle to tip is the result of oil being pulled up the dipstick sleave. So I try to pull it, clean it, reinsert and repeat up to 3 times in search of an accurate reading. A total hassle that makes the whole process a complete turn off.
EXACTLY, not that big a deal now as i have low miles but later on I can see it being an issue.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I recall reading somewhere (maybe the owner's manual), to make sure the oil dip stick is in place when adding oil to the engine, otherwise the oil will come out from the dip stick hole in the block. This means as oil is draining back to the oil pan from the top of the heads, it passes over the length of the dip stick, coating it and the cavity it is in with oil, thus making reading the oil level almost impossible. I haven't been able to get an oil level reading on the dip stick unless I let the car sit overnight. My wife's 2003 Maxima is just as bad.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:59 PM
from what i've heard, all VQ engines are like this. if you have a late-model maxima, you'll have the same problems. just let the car sit on a level surface for a couple hours before trying to read the oil level. if youre changing the oil, just put in 4.25-4.5 quarts and dont even try to read the dipstick.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by jayco
from what i've heard, all VQ engines are like this. if you have a late-model maxima, you'll have the same problems. just let the car sit on a level surface for a couple hours before trying to read the oil level. if youre changing the oil, just put in 4.25-4.5 quarts and dont even try to read the dipstick.
That sounds about right. But is it unreasonable to want to read the oil level after I do the oil change or when I fill up (gas)? Is that really asking too much. My previous cars, Ford Mazda Acura all gave me this satisfaction, I just would like the same from this excellent Nissan.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
nissan just had to place the stupid dipstick in the worst possible place. and when you do take it out, it flicks oil everywhere.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Sig
Originally Posted by accordfreak
nissan just had to place the stupid dipstick in the worst possible place. and when you do take it out, it flicks oil everywhere.

I guess it's about the only place it could be put but damn it's a pain in the ***.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:45 AM
man I have almost zero issues...
When I change oil - no problem... pour in the new oil, pop the stick
wipe it, stick it back, pull it read it... whats the big deal.

It is a bit of pain to put back, but if you have even OK lighting it is no big deal.

Old 04-03-2005, 05:24 AM
use two hands. guide the end with one, either when pulling or pushing.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Also, good luck finding the auto transmission dip stick...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 oil dip stick