G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question about refunding unused warranty

Old 08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about refunding unused warranty

I got the extended warranty when I bought my car but now that I've thought about it some more, I regret getting it. They also talked me into getting that paint and interior warranty or whatever. I guess I was too excited about the car and wasn't thinking everything through clearly. Do you guys know if it's possible to get a refund on the unused portion of the warranty (in the case of my extended warranty, it would be the full price)? Will it depend solely on if the dealership is willing?

If they were to refund me, would the amount be a simple division of the cost of the warranty divided by the unused time or will it be something else?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by achen
I got the extended warranty when I bought my car but now that I've thought about it some more, I regret getting it. They also talked me into getting that paint and interior warranty or whatever. I guess I was too excited about the car and wasn't thinking everything through clearly. Do you guys know if it's possible to get a refund on the unused portion of the warranty (in the case of my extended warranty, it would be the full price)? Will it depend solely on if the dealership is willing?

If they were to refund me, would the amount be a simple division of the cost of the warranty divided by the unused time or will it be something else?

Thanks in advance.
Not really sure how it would work in your case, but a few years ago we sold our minivan which was only two years old. We had an extended warranty on it from the credit union, and they refunded us the entire amount.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing as refunding unused warranty...so I think you might have a problem there. I'm not sure what their incentive would be to lose money?

Stinks that you don't need it, but I guess next time you will know before hand what you want

Old 08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
i got a refund on an extended warrenty on a honda a few years ago. it was spelled out in the contract that I could get a pro-rated refund if i sold the car. had to twist the dealers ***** though. but it was spelled ou tin the contract. read yours?

Old 08-02-2005, 07:25 PM
I've never heard of someone refunding an unused warranty either..

And what exactly is the interior warranty? I never got anything like that, but the only two things I ever needed to be fixed were my sunroof squeek, and my heated seat button fell through the console, both interior problems and both fixed.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had a WRX before and their extended warranty. I had it cancelled and got
my unused portion back (which was the entire amount since it wasn't even
one month before I cancelled).

Subaru refunds warranty by the month remaining.... ours might too. Call up
Corporate Infiniti to find out (not your dealership).

Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 PM
My Nissan Murano was financed through NMAC (Nissan Motor Acceptance) and yes, they do refund your extended warranty if you choose not to pursue it. Its prorated obviously.

And something to think about when trading in your car, otherwise you just threw $2g or so out the window.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes you can get it refunded, just talk to the finance manager at the dealership where you bought the car.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

The paint and interior protection warranty I got protects against weather induced fading, oxidation, loss of gloss, permanent hard water spots, industrial fallout, bird droppings, treesap, and acid rain. That's the for the paint. For the interior, I'm protected against fading and permanent staining caused by food, drink, and oil based stains through normal use. The lady told me if they are unable to get the stain out, I can get a new seat. The leather and vinyl is also protected against fading, discoloration, and cracking.

But I keep my car garaged most of the day and take really good car of it so I don't think I'm ever going to need to make a claim. The paint/interior warranty was 695, and I definitely want to get rid of that.

The extended warranty on the other hand... I'm not so sure what to do about that. I definitely plan to keep my car longer than 4 years but I paid $1860 for the extended warranty and after reading up on the forums, realized I was ripped a 2nd a$$hole. I had no idea that you could bargain the price on it. So should I get the warranty refunded and look elsewhere for more affordable coverage?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by achen; 08-02-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:44 AM
i think the point might be, if you bought and signed a contract, there is no automatic "back-sies" that you just get to ask for. if the extended contract has an out, then it is spelled out IN THE CONTRACT. Sit down and read it. the paint & interior warrenties are probably paid for and done. a lot of folks have gotten stuck with these. the point is to learn and not to ever, ever do it again.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

But I keep my car garaged most of the day and take really good car of it so I don't think I'm ever going to need to make a claim. The paint/interior warranty was 695, and I definitely want to get rid of that.

Bro no disrespect meant but $$695 US. I paid 520 Cdn including all taxes.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Just a word to the wise.....

The paint warranty is the biggest ripoffs that dealerships offer.

Never buy the paint warranty.

When I start the process for buying a new car, I tell the salesman up front that I'm not buying an extended warranty or the paint coverage.

It can end up saving you $2000-$2500.

Plus, you never have to buy extended warranties through the dealership.

Banks actually offer them too.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
According to Infiniti, you can always get your extended warranty refunded. I'm not sure what the factory warranty for Infiniti's are but lets say if it's 4 yrs of 40k miles, as long as you don't go over that, you can get the full refund. If you go over the 4 yrs or 40k miles, they'll prorate it.

In terms of the paint warranty, is there even factory warranty for that? If not, they'll prorate it as of the day you purchased the car.

I bought my extended warranty through the dealership and they carry CNA National Warranty (www.cnanational.com). 7yr/100k miles for $1,300. It's nots a bad price but later I learned my brother got the same thing from $1,300 to $900. So you can definitely bargain with them.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Ok, so I called the dealership and the extended warrany is 100% refundable. My payments won't change but they will end sooner. The paint protection on the other hand... I'm stuck with . Now I just have to find the time to drive 2 hours so they can verify my mileage. I was trying to explain to them how I only bought the car 3 months ago... and how it's possible I would've crossed the 60k basic warranty in 3 months...

Old 08-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, so I called the dealership and the extended warrany is 100% refundable. My payments won't change but they will end sooner. The paint protection on the other hand... I'm stuck with . Now I just have to find the time to drive 2 hours so they can verify my mileage. I was trying to explain to them how I only bought the car 3 months ago... and how it's possible I would've crossed the 60k basic warranty in 3 months...

Yea I had a feeling you'd be stuck with the paint warranty. That's the dumbest warranty i've ever here. Now a really good warranty is the one offered by Just Tires. It's only an additional $5 and if your tire(s) ever pop due to a natural cause (nail, pot holes, etc), they'll replace them for free. Now that's nice especially when those 19" potenzo cost an arm and a leg.