G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Got rear ended. Should I get attorney or not?

Old 08-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rear ended. Should I get attorney or not?

Got rear ended friday night. We were at a red light and guy in a Jeep Cherokee slammed into us. I don't think he hit the brakes at all because I didn't hear anything before the impact. Anyway, we exchanged information, and he admitted fault. Police came, and I asked for a statement, but he said I didn't need anything, just exchange info and call insurance. Now my neck is all messed up and my girlfriend's back hurts, so obviously, we want to visit the chiro. Do you guys suggest I get an attorney to handle this? I hear its a pain to deal with insurance adjusters yourself, but then you're giving like 40-50% of the settlement to the attorney. Luckily, I didn't take the coupe out that night. It may have gotten demolished. Her 5-series handled it quite well, although I'm sure repairs are going to get costly. I'm just happy it wasn't a lot worse.

Last edited by GsUpHoesDown; 08-07-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First thing, get to a reputable doctor and get checked out. Don't go to the chiropracter, go to an actual Medical Doctor! Get all your injuries documented, and see if their is an attorney that the doctor's office deals with or would recommend. Start keeping a journal of everything, including doctor's visits, days missed from work, Where and when your injuries hurt and how they effect your day to day activities... Go and get lots of pictures of your wrecked car and after your consultation with your attorney, they should take care of the rest for you. If the other guys insurance company tries to set up a meeting with you, and buy you off with some petty check for say $1000, do not take that check! They will try to settle it as quick as possible, and the last thing you want is a sore back and multiple therapy visits being paid out of your own pocket. good luck and get the attorney!

ps-attorney's usually only take a cut when you win, and it will be approx. 33-1/3%... with the other portion going to medical bills and the rest going to you... long process, but worth the effort.

Last edited by DRAGMODE; 08-07-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Well, it really depends on what you want out of it. If you only want medical coverage and car repairs, you need to try to talk to the insurance company first - They will probably cover these. If you are seeking "other damages" you will most likely need to just call up a lawyer.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would first go to the hospital to get your body checked out.
whiplashes don't usually hurt too much the first 12hours... it's
like the next day it starts feeling real bad.

Then talk to your insurance agent and file a formal insurance claim.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
damnnn sorry to hear...

Old 08-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I got rear ended at 40 miles an hour (not in the G) and in the end, my back and neck really hurt. Went to the doctor, then lawyer, and got a settlement in the end. You really should take care of yourself. If it hurts a little, you should still see a doctor because mine did a little and it was a hairline fracture.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:22 AM
thanks for the input. i'll look for a lawyer and go to the doctors first thing.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:11 PM
There is some good advice here.

To best preserve your potential claim, you should visit a doctor with 24 hrs. Make sure you tell the nurse what happened, and describe everything in detail that hurts. Have him/her get it into the record. Perhaps more importanly, you want to find out if there are other problems.

Second, you want lots of pictures of the wrecked car. Take a couple dozen photo from different angles. The pictures are to prove the severity of the crash.

Third, whatever advice the doctor gives you, you need to follow. Most will presricbe lots of advil for a couple of weeks. Take it. The best reason is that it actually works, even if annoying. Second, if you don't follow the doctors advice, you diminish your ability to collect. Afterall, you won't have taken reasonable steps (i.e., following doctors order) to mitigate your pain.

Fourth, keep a diary of pain you feel. Very helpful if you keep a list of the things you couldn't do because of the pain. Oftentimes, pain does show for a few days. For neck and spinal injuries, problems often don't show up for a few weeks.

Fifth, do not settle with the insurance company until at least six months after the accident. Neck and spine injuries may not show much in problems for a long period of time. If you start to walk differently, you may not feel it for months, and then its because your feet or a knees hurt. If you've settled already, too bad. You can't go back and claim more injuries.

I'd wait for hiring an attorney. Most will take a third to 40%, plus expenses. You may want to get an offer from the insurance company first, and agree with the attorney to pay 40% of the amount above the initial offer.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
yeah, a chiropractor snapped my neck once, 10 mins later on the way back to work, I was vomitting uncontrollably (is there another kind?) and couldnt walk in a straight line. Nearly wrecked my car and had to have someone from work come out to the parking lot and drive me back to the office. He snapped the other way and it all went away in about 5 mins :O Freaked me out, never went back. Probably what freaked me out even more is he knew exactly what was going on and seemed as worried as I was. I didnt ask, just happy he didnt paralize me.

Go have a doctor look at it and get a little PT if the pain persists.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:50 AM
i got rear ended more than once, and heres what i recommend...

find a lawyer first! the lawyer will recommend you to any medical things you need. usually just 1~2months visit to chiro is normal for this. also, lawyer should know some body shops that work with insurance companies. finding a lawyer first makes things easier for you bc you do not have to pay anything up front. if you go to doctor first, YOU have to pay outta your pocket first and then later you get your money back from the insurance company. same goes for bodyshops too. My cases all took about 1 year (or little more) to be settled. got $ 1,000~3,000 as part of settlement.

YES!! GET A LAWYER!

Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
'04.5 Black 6MT Coupe
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAGMODE
First thing, get to a reputable doctor and get checked out. Don't go to the chiropracter, go to an actual Medical Doctor! Get all your injuries documented, and see if their is an attorney that the doctor's office deals with or would recommend. Start keeping a journal of everything, including doctor's visits, days missed from work, Where and when your injuries hurt and how they effect your day to day activities... Go and get lots of pictures of your wrecked car and after your consultation with your attorney, they should take care of the rest for you. If the other guys insurance company tries to set up a meeting with you, and buy you off with some petty check for say $1000, do not take that check! They will try to settle it as quick as possible, and the last thing you want is a sore back and multiple therapy visits being paid out of your own pocket. good luck and get the attorney!

ps-attorney's usually only take a cut when you win, and it will be approx. 33-1/3%... with the other portion going to medical bills and the rest going to you... long process, but worth the effort.
Absolutly!

Old 08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont mean to be joking about this but couldn't resist this pic...I hope you were not rear-ended like this
Seriously though I would get an attorney, especially if you or your girl are injured in any way.

Attached Thumbnails Got rear ended.  Should I get attorney or not?-rear.gif  
Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Get an attorney

Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
hello, world
i'm not going to even read the posts in-between yours and mine, although i'm sure there's good info there. as an atty (although not pi), i've come across many situations like this. GO SEE AN ATTORNEY FIRST--even before you see a doctor (unless your health is at severe risk). the atty will have good doc referrals for you, and work with docs who know how to properly document your injuries. chances are, your atty will have a relationship with the doctor that will enable a fastrack appointment. you will NEED an atty: 1. so your own insurance co. doesn't f-u; 2. so the other guy's insurance doesn't f-u; 3. if you want any recovery beyond basic med and property damage (which you deserve for the inconvenience of this mess, and quality of life adjustments). we pay out the a$$ for insurance, make sure you get your due. those bastards will try to nickel and dime you and blame "greedy" lawyers for trying to get you what you deserve in the first place. as far as the 1/3 contingency rate, you'll still get 2/3 of something that you wouldn't get otherwise. it can take upwards of a year, but it is worth it.

good luck, AND GO TALK TO A LAWYER!

Last edited by poplock; 08-23-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
The first thing you should have done was go to an emergency room. They are good at checking these things out. Eventhough it doesn't seem serious you never know. It's good to get the right people to check it out.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended. Should I get attorney or not?