G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Using a magnet to break into our cars ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
You have experienced the phenomenon of "capacitive coupling". Just as any vertical antenna needs a "ground plane" to work off of, so to your "transmitter" in your key. When you hold it close, you couple the transmitter to you body as a ground plane and you get better range.
You're holding the transmitter in your hand anyways, and your hand isn't insulated. Why wouldn't it use your body as an antenna just from the fact that you're already holding the thing?

I have a very hard time believing that this actually works.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jameyb
After watching an episode of Myth Busters I decided I would bust this myth. To my surprise, I was able to unlock the doors on my F-150 from a significantly increased distance (not triple but probably double) by putting the remote up to my chin.

I repeated the test about 5 times in an empty parking lot and come to the conclusion that it worked (at least with my F-150).

I know, nobody cares but it was at least interesting to a dork like me.
i tried it as well

didn't work on the g35
didn't work on the 911
didn't work on my dad's i35

i didn't even get 1'' out of it.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh you went about it all wrong... you have to look away from the car or your eyes will deflect the magic beam.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also have to stand on one leg and point one finger in the air to get maiximum range.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 PM
delete thread. thnx

Old 01-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
i tried it as well

didn't work on the g35
didn't work on the 911
didn't work on my dad's i35

i didn't even get 1'' out of it.
Maybe I just have a case of "Z tube disorder" and felt gains when there really weren't any.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:52 PM
is the valet key the one that looks like the other keys or is it the one that comes in the little plastic bag?

Old 01-05-2006, 05:58 PM
The chin thing works on my wife's TL and on my Jeep. I haven't tried it on the G yet.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by yacoub
Assuming the car is running, yeah that would work.
Can't you roll down the windows w/o having the key in the ignition? I don't have a G any more and I can't go out and check.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by neffster
Can't you roll down the windows w/o having the key in the ignition? I don't have a G any more and I can't go out and check.
Yep, if you hold the unlock button on the remote it will roll down the windows.

The chin trick worked for me on my Prelude for 7 years and I believe I tried it with the G although I can't remember. I'll give it a shot if I remember to.

Scott

Old 01-05-2006, 08:34 PM
^^^ yeah, but the key fob has a battery and works via RF. I mean just using your finger, sitting in the drivers seat with NO KEYS in the ignition. Can you roll down the windows? I think you can...

Old 01-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Holding to your forehead (sp?) gives a little more distance than the chin on 3 Maximas, Camry, Crime Stopper aftermarket and yes the G, at least for me. I am curious about these ways to break into the G. My next door neighbors' Jeep (SUV ish stule, not a jeep person) was stolen 2 days ago and found the next day w/the ignition fubarred bad. Police said Jeeps were easy????

Although curious I still not thrilled w/posting methods on this forum. IMHO the borderline theif might get enough info to try and that alone will damage the vehicle much less if they succeed. I realize that most methods are known by those who want to I don't believe we should help others.

It is like bragging about track time here and having Infniniti void the warranty cause you were foolish enough to put in print here on the web

Mark

Last edited by opimax; 01-05-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
You're holding the transmitter in your hand anyways, and your hand isn't insulated. Why wouldn't it use your body as an antenna just from the fact that you're already holding the thing?

I have a very hard time believing that this actually works.
It's a matter of mass. Your hand is smaller than your head and shoulders.

capacitive coupling: The transfer of energy from one circuit to another by means of the mutual capacitance between the circuits. Note 1: The coupling may be deliberate or inadvertent. Note 2: Capacitive coupling favors transfer of the higher frequency components of a signal, whereas inductive coupling favors lower frequency components, and conductive coupling favors neither higher nor lower frequency components.
This is from "The Amazing Radio Man" http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/26571

your body is mostly water, which has a lot of electrolytes like sodium, calcium etc dissolved in it - in solution these ions act as charge carriers. this is why electrical current will flow through your body. the most basic antenna is a piece of wire; this is a piece of metal that has free electrons that move whenever an electric field is nearby. an oscillating electric field, like that in a cellphone signal, will make the electrons in the antenna oscillate, and therefore oscillate in whatever circuit the antenna is attached to.

so, because you're a giant wet conductor, when you are just walking around in the world all of the various kinds of EM radiation around us - TV signals, radio stations, wifi, cell phones.. everything - is making the ions dissolved inside your body oscillate back and forth, as the sum of all of the radiation that passes through you.

when you get near another conductor, even if you're separated by an insulator like the plastic on your antenna, your body capacitively couples to the conductor and effectively increases the area of the antenna. since bigger antennas work better, the signal strength will increase.

you certainly could unscrew the little antenna in your cellphone and attach a giant metal antenna to your cell phone, but then you'd be carrying around a giant cell phone. much of antenna engineering is about trading off size (for portability or aesthetic or whatever reasons) vs. how well it picks signals up.
Do so research and decide for yourself.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:21 PM
hahahahahah the key thing is sooooo funny!!!! just think about it, if u were with ur buddies and u were walkin away from ur car and thought "o wait i dont kno if i locked my doors" you hit the button and no noise u repeat a few times and then u remember the trick u press it under ur chin hahahha and it works!?!?! hahaha thats sooo funny...... o and btw the valet key isnt really a valet key..... it only opens the doors u cant start our car with it if u look on the key you will see a lil either green or white thing thats where the microchip is the other key or as some of u call it the valet key dosent have it and really wont start the car... read on the card that its in... it says this kill will not start the engine...... and to who ever leaves in in the car.... not a good idea.... if u get locked out how are u gona get to it???

Old 01-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackG35th
o and btw the valet key isnt really a valet key..... it only opens the doors u cant start our car with it if u look on the key you will see a lil either green or white thing thats where the microchip is the other key or as some of u call it the valet key dosent have it and really wont start the car... read on the card that its in... it says this kill will not start the engine...... and to who ever leaves in in the car.... not a good idea.... if u get locked out how are u gona get to it???

That wallet key that you're talking about isn't the Valet Key. You are correct that the wallet key will not start your car.

The Vallet key will start your car but it is supposed to not open your glovebox or trunk(but since the 03-04 Coupes don't even have a trunk keyhole, I guess it doesn't really matter). The idea of a valet key is that you can give it to the valet parker and have him park your car, without giving him the easy ability to open up your trunk or get into your glovebox to steal things or look at your personal info on items in there. Valet keys are usually designed to work with the trunk-lock disable function that many cars have, which prevents you from opening the trunk using the button inside the car... meaning that you have to either open it with the key from outside, or using the keyfob.

I'd guess that almost nobody actually uses the valet key on their G35. It's too much hassle to carry an extra key around(especially for a guy) and you definitely don't want to leave it in your glove-box for the reasons mentioned above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Using a magnet to break into our cars ???