G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's discouraging. Hmmmm......

What to do what to do. 3.5 with a VLSD, or an "empty" 3.9 until I can go with a true LSD...decisions decisions.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay couple more questions, I have checked out a few aftermarket final drive gears and first of all whats the consensus on the 4.08 final drive from the titan and what kind of labor charges would i be looking at if i bought just the final drive gears and a separate LSD i;m assuming it has to be much more time consuming than just swapping out my 3.3 for an already assembled 3.5. I would like to get the most out of what I have but if it will cost 2k top to bottom to get the larger gears put in right I feel like i should stop messin around and just go FI.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I remember, with the 5at, it's not recommended to go any higher than 3.9 FD gears, because of the transmission's gearing.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in here.

The following users liked this post:
gatorbait7 (12-10-2015)
Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by delsap
Okay couple more questions, I have checked out a few aftermarket final drive gears and first of all whats the consensus on the 4.08 final drive from the titan and what kind of labor charges would i be looking at if i bought just the final drive gears and a separate LSD i;m assuming it has to be much more time consuming than just swapping out my 3.3 for an already assembled 3.5. I would like to get the most out of what I have but if it will cost 2k top to bottom to get the larger gears put in right I feel like i should stop messin around and just go FI.

I think for $2k you could get a good LSD and the 3.9 gears installed.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
okay thanks for all the help guys.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fi ftw =)

Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Back again, any suggestions on which aftermarket final drive gears would work for my car. Most of the ones i have been able to find say they only work for manual transmissions.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Talk to Z1 Motorsports, they know their stuff when it comes to this topic.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Hey quick question-

I have an 03 sedan w/ stock 17" wheels and tires. If I was to get 19" coupe wheels or M35 wheels (or any after market wheels for that matter), would I need a drop (either with coilovers or just springs)? Would the car look funny with out being dropped?

And would I need a camber kit to adjust the wheel degree? I'm assuming the tires will be at least 8 inches wide and possibly up to 10 inches.

I'm wondering because if this is the case, the investment would be significantly more and I'd have to wait so that I could get them at the same time. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
^^You are going to need to roll your fenders unless you dont mind the rubbing.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi all. I've had my '05 sedan 5AT for about 6 months now. I've been reading on here for quite a while about various mods, because now that I've got a car with some power I'm addicted and need MORE

First thing I did was get the windows tinted (20% all around). That one was a given and doesn't really count as a mod, I guess. It does look slick with the dark blue paint though. After that I continued to do some reading.

I got in on SxExCx's group buy for the grounding kit. Blue, of course. Today, FedEx tried to deliver my MD 5/16" spacer and clear corners but I couldn't get to the door fast enough. I think the dog scared the driver away I've got a K&N in the car already, still looking for a z-tube. Also still looking for an HR y-pipe and a revup airbox. The airbox especially, since the place that changed my oil last broke the mount for the line off the back Warranty won't cover it since they broke it, and they deny they did it so they won't pay for it. ****ers.

There is a track not far from my house that I would like to go to at some point (www.carolinamotorsportspark.com). With this in mind, I think I need some sway bars. I can't really do anything to the suspension that will lower the car because of the way my driveway is sloped. I have to hit it at a very precise angle to keep from scraping the bottom of the car. I'm not sure exactly what I'm scraping as I don't have a way to lift the car yet. Waiting for the jack/stands to go on sale as I am poor.

I really like the looks of the MD VQ exhaust, but I just don't have that kind of money to throw around at the moment. Anything I get has to be the same or lower profile than the OEM exhaust for the reason mentioned above...that will take a little more research. I want a good deep sound, but I don't want it to be loud. This is my everyday driver, too loud and it will just annoy me.

At some point after the warranty is up and the car is completely paid for, I want to do some sort of FI. That's years down the road though and not really a consideration at this point. Basically here is a list of things that I want to do in the fairly near future:

Sway bars
Intake/exhaust as mentioned above
LEDs inside and out
Tinted overlays
Tune (Osiris?)

Any input on what order I should do these in? Obviously the tune should be after the intake/exhaust mods are done.

Things I don't like about the car:
Wood trim. HATE it. Unfortunately this was the only G available within 100 miles of me for less than $20k and I had to grab it because my Civic died in the bank parking lot while I was getting approved for the loan.
Garage door opener. Read the manual plenty of times, can't get it to work.
AM antenna. Not very good. Can hardly pick up a local station that I listen to all the time.
Amber interior lights. Oh, how I despise them. Eventually I'll swap them out for blue, but I just don't have that kind of time on my hands currently.

Can't wait to get the spacer installed this weekend

Last edited by LiquidTension; 04-14-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Im pretty much in the same boat as you. If i hadn't lost my job I would have had my full exhaust done (HR Y pipes, magnaflow resenator, hks sport muffler). But i do have an intake, MD spacer, clear corners, tints, and all my lights are switched over to LEDs.. even my trunk and both glove boxes.. I dont recommand blue dome lights.. my Dome and corner lights are white. heres some pics.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Quick question, the Cobb tuning device that does not work with the early sedans is this because they do not have the OBDII connection or because the ECU will just not accept the changes? thanks.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
To Liquid Tensin

For the exhaust i think you should get an HkS muffler with the coupe midpipe, its an amazing sound in my opinion. The coupe midpipe will make it drone just a bit, its nothing crazy. If you dont like the drone just put a 05-06 sedan midpipe in place of it. Ders a coupe midpipe and a sedan midpipe for sale rite now at the moment. I have the coupe midpipe and hks muffler and omg ive gotten so many compliments, i personally like the drone because ppl know i have an exhaust and its not loud at all. At highway speeds you cant even hear it. I got the setup for 350 total, everything was used but in great condition.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Here's the mods I did so far....

Drivetrain

-Powerlab 3/8 Plenum Spacer
-AEM cold air intake

Interior

-LEDS on all lights

Exterior

-20% Tint all around
-Philips 8000k HID on both driving lights and fog lights
-JDM style clear side markers w/white light
-Crome side door pillars

Electronics

-Ipod Adapter
-Navigation Bypass Module

Coming Soon:

-T-teins H-tech springs
-Borla catback exhaust system

Coming in the distant future:

-Any kind of headers
-Any kind of HFCs
-Any kind of test pipes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread