G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the HKS rear section is an affordable way to spice up the exhaust note. often you'll find slightly used ones for sharp prices. i paid $300CDN last year. i love the muffler, it sounds great and looks nice when it's clean. when paired with the coupe midpipe it sounds even better, although your '06 midpipe is similar to the coupe so i wouldn't change that if i was you.

Z springs are another popular, affordable suspension mod. go for a revised set of shocks & springs. these are also available used for good prices. i paid $100CDN last year, PLUS ~$80 for a 4 wheel alignment a couple weeks after the install. i love the stance and improved handling. the ride is slightly more firm, but most noticeable is the reduced body roll. the drop is between 3/4" - 1".

both of these mods are simple do-it-yourselfers. the muffler took ~45mins from start to finish, and the suspension swap took ~4hrs working slowly.

The following users liked this post:
Pals4life (07-20-2012)
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks. I think I'm sold on the HKS, but if I couple that with say a coupe midpipe would that be louder than I'm looking for? The weight savings of the coupe midpipe is appealing also.

I think the 350Z springs and shocks are the way to go. Any leads on where I could find a set?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM
don't bother changing the midpipe. yours is much smaller than the one on 03/04 sedans so you won't notice much change from the coupe middy. many folks actually prefer the 05/06 sedan middy paired with the HKS, so you should be set with just the rear section.

i'd try the marketplace, and your local craigslist for starters.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mermarine
Thanks. I think I'm sold on the HKS, but if I couple that with say a coupe midpipe would that be louder than I'm looking for? The weight savings of the coupe midpipe is appealing also.

I think the 350Z springs and shocks are the way to go. Any leads on where I could find a set?
I would go ahead and get the cpe mid pipe if you can find one in the marketplace or ur local craigslist. I have an 05 and there was a difference in the sedan resonator and the cpe resonator. I don't think this setup would be too loud.

g35, 350z marketplace and craigslist would be your best bet on the z suspension.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I think I'm set on the HKS muffler only. Looks tight and from listening to all the clips it sounds great!

I'm thinking that I'd like to go with the G/Z combo on the springs if I can. Which shocks would I match up with that setup? Or maybe the .5" drop of the coupe springs all the way around. Which shocks then? Rather than buy used coupe or 350Z shocks are there aftermarket comparibles that are reasonably priced?

Old 08-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I like this alot, but I wonder if it's JUST the coupe midpipe??? This seems like it would be a cheap way to increase sound slightly...

I like this one too and wonder if it's JUST the HKS muffler???

Old 08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I have an HKS rear section on my 05 sedan and love it. It sounds great without much drone at highway speeds. I find myself turning my stereo off and rolling down the window in 100+ degree weather just to hear the exhaust. I also have 07 z springs paired with Tokico HP (blues) for a 350z. I bought these shocks because the cost/time of installing the springs does not change much if you do shock also. Why put used shocks on your car only to have to replace them 6 months to a year later? The blues run about $250 FOR ALL 4 SHOCKS. The ride is a little stiff, but that is what I wanted. If you are afraid of a stiff ride then don't lower your car because they pretty much come hand in hand. BTW the z springs lower a sedan about 1 inch.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Money aside, would you guys go for the HKS or the Stillen Gen2 for nice sound? I also like the idea of all stainless, less problems later on..

Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Hks!!!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by geew1z
Money aside, would you guys go for the HKS or the Stillen Gen2 for nice sound? I also like the idea of all stainless, less problems later on..
Stillen shouldn't even be mentioned in an exhaust thread about gaining a "little bit" of sound. From what I hear/read, both versions drone to the point of some taking it off. Some like it and enjoy the sound too. But the increase in sound is signficant. I'll go ahead and put the Borla system in there too. I should know, I run one and added the Magnaflow resonated X pipe to combat the drone.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exhaust
Here are some options to change your exhaust tone.

1. Coupe Middy
2. HR Y
3. HKS

All interchangeable with stock and you can put them on in any combination.

Depends on how much you want to experiment.

If you want REALLY Modest - Try 1. If you want little louder, add 3. If you want louder still, add Y. But the noise increases are very very small.

I for one, have the Fujitsubo. It is rated 1 db over stock over most of the driving range and 8 db over stock over 4800 RPM. I'd say my experience says Fuijitsubo's numbers are right on. You do lose some low end torque and no real HP gain that I can notice.

Suspension
350Z is a very nice way to go. Lowers approx 1" all around. Very livable. The only problem will be after about a year, you'll want to go lower

2005 6MT - 350Z revised springs and Fuijitsubo with HR Y-pipe

Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW, the g35 sedan owners have toned down when it came to flaming. usuall with questions like this people would say do a search or it has been posted numerous times. But yea everyone seems to have answered all your questions. I personally think putting on coupe midpipe HR y pipe and all those 350z springs and such are waste of money. Some people on this forum like to modify the vehicles TOO STOCKish. It is not even a sleeper, they put on coupe pipes, other y pipes, 350z springs. With that much money spent, I rather have gotten some decent springs, racing y pipe and custom make an exhaust but that's just me. I'm just ranting cuz my project didn't go well today for 350z seats in sedan (see above thread) sorry y'all. LOL

Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sweettalker
WOW, the g35 sedan owners have toned down when it came to flaming. usuall with questions like this people would say do a search or it has been posted numerous times.
Well, he did say he's been researching and his questions support that. He's also got very specific questions and not some generalized "What's the best exhaust?", so no flaming is warranted.

Originally Posted by sweettalker
I personally think putting on coupe midpipe HR y pipe and all those 350z springs and such are waste of money. Some people on this forum like to modify the vehicles TOO STOCKish. It is not even a sleeper, they put on coupe pipes, other y pipes, 350z springs. With that much money spent, I rather have gotten some decent springs, racing y pipe and custom make an exhaust but that's just me.
Why is it "TOO STOCKish"? The Y-pipe and Coupe middy are excellent sound upgrades to an 03-04 Sedan and will cost less than $200. And 350z springs are as good as any "decent" aftermarket springs. For "decent springs, racing y pipe and custom make an exhaust" you'll spend 5-10 times as much as on those "Stockish" upgrades, and get minimal gains over the stock mods as well. That to me is a real waste of money.

BTW, read the sticky on springs. Most aftermarket springs designed for the G/350Z are too soft. The revised G springs offer a very nice upgrade to any G35 that you'd be hard pressed to match in an aftermarket setup short of coilovers.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Buckeye FTW, again............

Old 08-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Taking account of all the advice (ignoring sweettalker) and another day of searching I'm going to go with the coupe middy for the slight increase in sound and weight savings... Also I want to go with the coupe springs because the drop is not as much as the 350Z springs... Does that sound about right?

Final advice needed... What shocks/struts should I get with the coupe springs? I want to buy new OEM equivelants.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread