G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Replacing Radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Radiator

Has anyone tried to replace the radiator by themselves. If so, how did it go out? I'm asking for input because my radiator is leaking.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
very straight forward and fairly easy. I have done 4-5 local members now. I have aftermarket so its really easy...if you were local here I could knock it out.

just have to remove the OEM fans from the radiator then unbolt from the front side there should be to holes..one on left and one on right....undo those 2 10mm bolts and that lets lose the radiator from the condensor. There are 2 top mounts nuts that hold the radiator in place to the actual front Radiator Support. You just turn those to the left to unlock and pop them straight out.

bottom side should be a drain that you can undo to release all the fluid from the radiator into a bin. If you need some real help I can take some pics of the areas I am talking about tomorrow and toss them up.

You will need to remove the upper radiator hose and what I did was stuff a rag into the upper coolant pipe so it would stop draining after removing the upper hose.

Last edited by g35man04; 06-17-2011 at 01:35 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by g35man04:
2slickg35 (06-18-2011), Blue Dream (06-17-2011), CandlestickPark (07-04-2011), faiz23 (06-17-2011), sdz33 (07-21-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I've changed my radiator about 20 times now (remove and complete clean up's) No issues, just clean ups.

The process is fairly EASY with some mechanical common sense.

Firstly, very important...

Make sure the vehicle is cold, at least 4-6 hours cold depending on your ambient temps and overall usage.

There is a small nipple/screw on the bottom of the radiator, this is the drain plug. Place a container underneath the hole and remove the fluid.

Then remove the hoses

Then there is 2 10mm Bolts attached from the a/c condensor to the radiator itself. you will remove those bolts and then remove the plastic locks on the radiator support.

If you have an automatic transmission you have to remove the lines at the bottom of the radiator as well. you can now remove the radiator...

If you have a fan clutch you must remove the fan clutch first 4- 10mm bolts... If electric fans you have to remove the fan assembly.

It's simply remove the radiator, replace make sure you align the rubber gromments on the bottom of the radiator to the radiator support. once you have reinstalled repeat in backward order.

VERY important:

You MUST release the air trapped in the system. If not you can run the risk of overheating. To accomplish this.

Fill the radiator to the top of the neck filler, SLOWLY open the air release at the rear of the engine by the passenger side.

Turn on the vehicle and put the heater on FULL blast. (on highest setting)

The fluid may spill just a bit remember hot water expands cold water contracts.

I have found that the best way is to get all of the air out of the back of then engine first and then seal the air relief and burp the engine. Providing you dont have a "non spill tank".

If you have a non spill tank which you can get at NAPA you're life is much easier just fill the bucket turn on the car and keep an eye on the temps... once the engine has burped all of the air out you can seal the cap and call it a day. The previous method takes some practice and patience.

Few things I've learned from my 2003 (fan clutch G35)

The auxillary fan will kick on at 205 degree's at 50%. at 215 it will begin to rise and by 220 it's on at 100%.

Fan clutches tend to keep the temperature at a constant 188-191 degree's.

Cars with E-fan will turn the fan's on at 200 (providing a/c is off) Once the temps hit 210 the fans kick on at 100%.

regardless of which setup you have if you take the temps up to 240+ you are running the risk of catastrophic engine failure.

The following 4 users liked this post by Eric@TCGMiami:
2slickg35 (06-18-2011), Blue Dream (06-17-2011), CandlestickPark (07-04-2011), faiz23 (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
It's not too hard, just take your time...do you have a Factory Service Manual?

The hardest part is bolting the condenser back to the radiator through the small bolt holes. Also, make sure you don't bang the lower part of the radiator with a hammer when aligning it into the lower mounting holes. Wouldn't want to risk future leaking...yes it's a tight fit!

The following users liked this post:
2slickg35 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
I've changed my radiator about 20 times now (remove and complete clean up's) No issues, just clean ups.

Make sure the vehicle is cold, at least 4-6 hours cold depending on your ambient temps and overall usage.

There is a small nipple/screw on the bottom of the radiator, this is the drain plug. Place a container underneath the hole and remove the fluid.

Then remove the hoses

Then there is 2 10mm Bolts attached from the a/c condensor to the radiator itself. you will remove those bolts and then remove the plastic locks on the radiator support.

If you have an automatic transmission you have to remove the lines at the bottom of the radiator as well. you can now remove the radiator...

If you have a fan clutch you must remove the fan clutch first 4- 10mm bolts... If electric fans you have to remove the fan assembly.

It's simply remove the radiator, replace make sure you align the rubber gromments on the bottom of the radiator to the radiator support. once you have reinstalled repeat in backward order.

VERY important:

You MUST release the air trapped in the system. If not you can run the risk of overheating. To accomplish this.

Fill the radiator to the top of the neck filler, SLOWLY open the air release at the rear of the engine by the passenger side.

I have found that the best way is to get all of the air out of the back of then engine first and then seal the air relief and burp the engine. Providing you dont have a "non spill tank".

If you have a non spill tank which you can get at NAPA you're life is much easier just fill the bucket turn on the car and keep an eye on the temps... once the engine has burped all of the air out you can seal the cap and call it a day. The previous method takes some practice and patience.

The auxillary fan will kick on at 205 degree's at 50%. at 215 it will begin to rise and by 220 it's on at 100%.

Cars with E-fan will turn the fan's on at 200 (providing a/c is off) Once the temps hit 210 the fans kick on at 100%.

regardless of which setup you have if you take the temps up to 240+ you are running the risk of catastrophic engine failure.
I know that using a OEM radiator would be best, but what would you think if I used a radiator from Autozone for $200 with a limited lifetime warranty?

Old 06-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
It's not too hard, just take your time...do you have a Factory Service Manual?

The hardest part is bolting the condenser back to the radiator through the small bolt holes. Also, make sure you don't bang the lower part of the radiator with a hammer when aligning it into the lower mounting holes. Wouldn't want to risk future leaking...yes it's a tight fit!
Yes, I do have a factory service manual. I'm guessing that this is not very hard, using some common sense and all it is is bolting on the radiator and attaching hoses, right?

Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 AM

Then remove the hoses

VERY important:

Sorry if I am a noob, but what is the difference between the fan clutch and electric fans? I have a 2003 5AT sedan manufactured in 2002.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by 2slickg35
I know that using a OEM radiator would be best, but what would you think if I used a radiator from Autozone for $200 with a limited lifetime warranty?
For the price of OEM i would go with an aftermarket all aluminum radiator. But to answer your question i would take a autozone part just solely because of the warranty. OEM does not give a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by 2slickg35
Sorry if I am a noob, but what is the difference between the fan clutch and electric fans? I have a 2003 5AT sedan manufactured in 2002.
Being a rookie is part of the learning curve so never feel bad for asking... we are only human.

Fan clutch is a fan driven off the belts. It is mechanical. The hotter the radiator becomes the more the fan clutch engages thus creating more airflow. Fan clutches on our cars are thermally controlled so at lower temperatures it'll disengage vs hotter temps engage.

Electric fans are controlled via a temperature control unit and use no pulleys to spin the motors. I opted to change from fan clutch to efans. I am very happy i made that decision.

Last edited by Eric@TCGMiami; 06-18-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Radiator brand

Which all aluminum radiators would you guys recommend? I have a stock air intake and the stillen one would not work for me.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I believe Koyo and mishimoto make dual good slim aluminum radiators which enhance the cooling factor by allowing a bit more fluid while allowing you to retain the items you've stated.

I purchased a PWR Radiator... It's too damn big! I takes 2 gallons to fill it + the engine is another gallon. Additionally, I had to remove the intake box modify the stillen CAI, and remove the air scoop. But my temps stay very even.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I bought a "1-800-radiator" for roughly $120 and it has worked great. They also give you a warranty so if you want to save a few bucks instead of buying Autozone I would go with them.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Have you changed the radiator yet? What's the outcome of this???

Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Have you changed the radiator yet? What's the outcome of this???
Yes, and the outcome was great. Sorry if I have not been on this board since I got a Corolla in 2011 and I passed on the G35 to my little brother. Sadly, the car was just hit by an unattentive driver in the rear and may be totaled. Eric, thank you so much for your help two years ago. It's good guys like you and many others who help keep this forum alive.

Lately, I've been bit by the BMW bug

Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 AM
Very sorry to hear... 2slickg35 about the accident, I hope your brother is ok.

Always here to help regardless of make.

The following users liked this post:
2slickg35 (03-14-2016)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi. Anybody home? I got a new radiator and my fans will not sit down in the supports on the radiator. Any ideas for making it happen? The support tabs on the radiator do not line up with the insert parts on the fan shroud. They're not even the same shape. The slots in the supports on this new radiator are too narrow for the fan shroud inserts to fit in there even if they did line up. What to do guys?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing Radiator