G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

DIY Valve Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sub'd. This will be a project for another day. Found oil on 3 of my spark plugs.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a bit of oil in my #6 cylinder as I was going to change out my plugs while I was doing my 75000 mile service and halted the project. Figured it would be better to wait until I can get new valve covers and gaskets and do both sides along with the service.

(I also discovered the drivers side cover is seeping at the outboard front corner anyway..might as well do the set and avoid having to spend another day doing the left when it decides to go...Right??)

Has anyone tried applying penetrating oil to the bolts and letting them sit for a few minutes before removing each assembly? This might reduce the likelihood of bolt heads snapping off while removing them.

I'm also curious as to why getupkid suggested you purchase bolts from a home improvement store as opposed to an auto parts store to replace broken bolts. Do home improvement stores have the proper bolt grade for this application?

Not trying to say anyone is wrong, just wondering why you'd shop at Home Depot for your car instead of NAPA, O'Reilly's, etc...

@kpowe1.. you say we need to replace the valve covers. Is it because they warp or is it because the spark plug seals can't be replaced?

Thanks for any positive input!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The spark plug seals can be replaced but it requires using a hole saw to enlarge the holes and installing larger gaskets. Also, R&D development wants $10 each for the replacement seals if you can get a hold of them. They've seemed to disappear from the forum unfortunately.

I read somewhere on here recently that someone found OEM seals somewhere for a lot cheaper but I can't remember where.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Is replacing the VALVE COVER necessary besides the related gaskets? If so WHY? Can anyone advise me on my Q?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by avavpez1
Is replacing the VALVE COVER necessary besides the related gaskets? If so WHY? Can anyone advise me on my Q?
I believe it's because they're one piece.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great write-up, thanks....just wondering if there is anything else that I should replace while in that deep? Cars just turned over 100k

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM
Hey Guys! I am currently in the process of tackling this project as well. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on working with the passenger side valve cover and gasket, as I tried putting the new cover and gasket on I had a small oil leak coming out of the gasket. I know the gasket potentially came unseated and is causing this. Also wondering about the wiring harness that is near the lower bolt on the valve cover closest to the firewall. Also potentially removing the cruise control??? Also Check Engine light came on starting up the car and doing a check for leaks, had all the vacuum lines hooked up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
The following users liked this post:
MidwestG35Kid (11-13-2014)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:59 PM
finished replacing driver side, now passenger side is a little challenging.

removed valve cover but lost one of the bolts. Fell on side, think it landed on bottom cover.
Cant find that buger.

anyone know the part number to the valve cover bolts?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:56 PM
This post while old is amazing. Near perfect description on how to replace VC gasket

This post while old is amazing. Near perfect description on how to replace VC gasket.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:05 PM
valve cover spark plug tube gaskets **replace/repair/options

Anybody know what to do if your spark plug gaskets on valve cover go bad/hard. (no pun intended). I believe they maybe leaking oil and I don't want to do any drilling and cementing. I heard you can put some cream treatment on the rubber to help it rehydrate on loosen up again. Anybody give that a try and if so how well did it work? THanks

Old 04-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Just did this on my sedan last night/this morning (had oil dripping on exhaust from pass side). The biggest pita was keeping the gasket on VC's grooves while lowering and securing it in place (surprisingly, driver's side was more of a pita than passenger's). Another pita was the tube that connects the nipples on the VCs. I ended up breaking one of the nipples and had to glue it back on... The gawd damn pipe was plastic and would not budge. Replaced it with some hose from Autozone. Overall, not a difficult repair, but does test your patience. Thanks for the pictures and guide, OP.

P.S. as far as bolt sizes on the upper plenum go, there are only 3 different types. FSM lists the bolt number and pitch/length, so no need to attach sticky notes/take pictures of every hole and bolt.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know it's been a while since you posted but THANKS!!! Question, I'm about to do same... the new valve covers have the new o-rings already in them, right?? Got a spark plug tube with lots of oil in there and general loss of oil. I don't need to replace the o-rings in addition to the the covers - do I?? Tks again!!!
-r

Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
O-rings will come with them. There is a currently active thread right now discussing sourcing them. Search it out. One poster indicated Beck-Arnley just repackages OEM, at a considerable discount from OEM dealer pricing.

The following users liked this post:
ranhood (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tks again!! I noticed Beck/Arn with some on RockAuto for just under $200 per. Much appreciated sir!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Valve Cover Replacement