G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

My car left me stranded for the first time!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car left me stranded for the first time!

I've owned my G for almost 4 years now and until now (minus common issues), it has been solid.

Last Wednesday afternoon I was driving normally and I noticed my headlights turned on (I always keep them on auto). It was partially cloudy out but sunny enough to wonder why they came on. They turned off within seconds but then came back on and continued an on>off>on>off pattern every 2-3 seconds. I didn't want to distract any drivers so I turned the light switch off. That didnt help. What followed was just crazy and it all happened in a matter of seconds:

-The tpms light turned on an off repeatedly.
-The engine fan turned on an off repeatedly.
-The speedometer failed
-The shifter indicator went blank.
-The SLIP and VDC lights came on

The engine never sputtered or quit but naturally I was concerned and then when the transmission started to down shift really hard I freaked out. I was in traffic but in a residential neighborhood and knew that I could pull over if I needed to. I figured it was a computer glitch and decided to turn the ignition off. I attempted to restart...engine would crank but it did not start.

I pushed her a few feet off the road and waited for a tow. Since I have an extended warranty through Infiniti, I had the car towed to the dealer. On Friday I was told the IPDM went bad. I had to do a little reading on this to get a better understanding of what it does. I read that most have failed due to water damage. I dont think this applies to me since my car sits in a garage most of the day and hadn't got wet that day.

Anyhow, I am just glad I am covered under the warranty! This is a long post but I figure it may help someone down the road!

I've been driving a new G37 for the past few days so I cant really complain about any of this!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Did they check your alternator?

The following users liked this post:
GraphiteGSdn (08-29-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
IPDM = Intelligent Power Distribution Module? I found this on a titan forum

http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55502

sounds exactly the same. But i'm a little lost and confused. That box is located in the engine bay. All fuse boxes i looked at had wiring all behind this and it looked like a LOT of work to replace. But one guy said it cost $108. This on any car should never be a simple plug and play type of repair. Should be a good hour least to repin proper terminals, unless they split into 2 and the bottom part with the wires dont need to be touched.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by STCLAIRWEST
Did they check your alternator?
I didn't ask but now that you bring it up, I should. The symptoms could easily have been caused by a faulty alternator.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
IPDM = Intelligent Power Distribution Module? I found this on a titan forum

http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55502

sounds exactly the same. But i'm a little lost and confused. That box is located in the engine bay. All fuse boxes i looked at had wiring all behind this and it looked like a LOT of work to replace. But one guy said it cost $108. This on any car should never be a simple plug and play type of repair. Should be a good hour least to repin proper terminals, unless they split into 2 and the bottom part with the wires dont need to be touched.
Yes, this is the same part! I actually had to get to the IPDM (didnt know it by name then) to change a fuse (my fault) a couple of months ago. It is located behind the battery, which needs to be removed for access.

I dont think the $108 price tag is correct. My SA told me its costs just north of $500. I am not certain how much labor is involved in replacing it.

Attached Thumbnails My car left me stranded for the first time!-ipdm.jpg  
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
interesting stuff. This is the first i've ever heard of an issue with this on a G. But once i started searching there are a WHOLE lot of nissan trucks with this issue. A WHOLE LOT!!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM
After almost a week at the dealer, my car was finally ready yesterday. I asked my SA what could have caused the IPDM to fail since I had read that many of these fail due to water intrusion. He said the IPDMs only get water damaged on the QX. This explains why there is such a high rate of failures in the Nissan truck family (Armada, Titan, QX) as TurTLe* pointed out.

He also mentioned that the ECM relay failed in my car but that specific relay cannot be replaced as it is built into the IPDM. Therefore, the entire module had to be replaced.

My invoice states "performed diagnostic and found multiple DTC's P1124, etc mdt pwr faulty ipdm"

Part # listed on invoice: USM-284B7-AQ01B

http://www.g35parts.com/350Z-G35-Cou...84b7-aq01b.htm

It was cool driving a different car for about a week. I'm glad to have my car back but I do miss some of the improvements on the newer G.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
glad u had that warranty, cuz i got a feeling u would have been out of 2K easy

Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
glad u had that warranty, cuz i got a feeling u would have been out of 2K easy
I am glad too! I am not sure how many hours they are allowed to bill Infiniti for the job but I know purchasing the warranty was worth the investment!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...tor-relay.html

Just found this related to P1124, i'm a nissan guy and read up on a lot of issues but i never heard of a IPDM until now.

It does show P1124 as throttle body fault ... http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p1124.html

I think your the first G to post up about the problem and actual solution. $450 part. hopefully none of us have to replace it.