G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

What oil filters do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
i have an 03 sedan ..
i use the mobil 1 filter but i buy the filter made for the "M" .. its a larger filter..

i believe the mobil1 part number for g35 is m1-108 and the one i buy is the m1-110 ..

the m1-110 filter is larger and a direct fit for our g35's

ive been using this filter for roughly 6 oil changes now with no issues ..

hope this helps ..
p.s. i got this info from a thread somewhere in here on the forums .that goes further into detail as to why this filter works just as good if not better..

=)

Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I don't care what a motor oil is rated for. I would never go over 5,000 miles, even with full synthetic. Glad to hear your car is doing fine, though...

I used to run Mobil1 in my Maxima due to oil consumption issues. I would run it to 5k.
I do 3500 miles religiously. My motor consumes oil, but not enough to be replaced under the TSB. It's also an AT.

So, as a way for me to monitor my consumption, i change my oil frequently. I use Castrol GTX conventional since it's so frequent. The consumption is consistent so 3500 puts me 1 quart down. I usually add 1/2 a quart at 1500 miles to allow me to only be 1/2 quart down at my oil change time.

3500 miles is less than a month of driving for me.

I never go to the max recommended oil change interval simply because that's a long time to go without checking status of the most important fluid in the car. I'd hate to drive 10K miles (a year for some people) and discover i had a minor oil leak that wend unnoticed and now have lost 1/2 my oil capacity over the course of the oil change interval.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Are they different from this one? LINK
What a great post, thanks for sharing this. Can't believe I just paid $8.50 for a crappy filter... I always thought OEM = better...

Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I do 3500 miles religiously. My motor consumes oil, but not enough to be replaced under the TSB. It's also an AT.

So, as a way for me to monitor my consumption, i change my oil frequently. I use Castrol GTX conventional since it's so frequent. The consumption is consistent so 3500 puts me 1 quart down. I usually add 1/2 a quart at 1500 miles to allow me to only be 1/2 quart down at my oil change time.

3500 miles is less than a month of driving for me.

I never go to the max recommended oil change interval simply because that's a long time to go without checking status of the most important fluid in the car. I'd hate to drive 10K miles (a year for some people) and discover i had a minor oil leak that wend unnoticed and now have lost 1/2 my oil capacity over the course of the oil change interval.
My Maxima used to burn around a quart and a half-ish every 5,000 miles. I just made a habit of checking my oil every third or fourth stop at the gas station, and topping off as necessary.

The car seemed to burn less Mobil 1 than the other oils. Yes, I know synthetic burns clear, but the smell of burnt oil wasn't immediately noticeable like it was on dino.

My G is starting to burn oil as well. It goes through just under 3/4 of a quart every 3,000 miles. Which, IMO, isn't bad for 233,000 miles. I just check my oil at the 1,500 mile marker, and top off as necessary.

I'm like you, though. I put anywhere between 20-30,000 miles on my car a year. So going 10,000 an oil change would seem incredibly stupid to me...

Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
I use Wix or Napa gold and valvoline sny.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
K&N Performance Gold P/N HP-1008

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Are they different from this one? LINK

That one is made in China, there are some that are made in Japan

Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vendwarfare
K&N Performance Gold P/N HP-1008
+1 .. and if you like the higher capacity filter, get the HP-1010 (larger in size)

Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
So going 10,000 an oil change would seem incredibly stupid to me...
Ouch.. that jab hurt. There is research that suggests that I am not doing irreperable damage to my engine by going 10K on Mobile1. The fact that we burn about a quart every 3500 miles actually helps since we top off and introduce fresh oil. I'm not saying you are wrong in changing oil more often. In fact I agree that the more often the better. I just disagree that I am incredibly stupid for going 10k and topping off when necessary. Instead I think it's totally fine in my application. I would never go more than 10k though. I forgot to add thats it's almost all highway miles. Over 180K miles and going strong.

Here are a couple links:

http://web.archive.org/web/201010242...es/mobil1.html

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...il-Filters.cfm

Old 08-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
K&N or Mobile 1 with a magnet for the G. Honda factory for the MDX. Lexus factory for the IS.

If I'm using oil filters from the dealership, I'll buy in bulk from the dealership to get a discount, 5-10 should be more than enough to get a good discount depending on the dealer.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTick
Ouch.. that jab hurt.
Sorry. Stupid was sort of a heavy word. I didn't mean for that to be offensive in any way.

I think contextually it came across wrong. I meant more along the lines of me doing an oil change every 10,000 miles, considering I daily drive my car, would be stupid for me to risk. Just in my personal opinion/preference.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Sorry. Stupid was sort of a heavy word. I didn't mean for that to be offensive in any way.

I think contextually it came across wrong. I meant more along the lines of me doing an oil change every 10,000 miles, considering I daily drive my car, would be stupid for me to risk. Just in my personal opinion/preference.
Not a problem at all I understand your concern completely. Better safe than sorry. I used to be super **** about frequent oil changes myself and it's better not to risk it if you track your car or drive it hard frequently. Mine runs in cruise control more than anything else. I keep telling myself I'll send a sample in for analysis, Gotta get around to doing that someday.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't care what a motor oil is rated for. I would never go over 5,000 miles, even with full synthetic. Glad to hear your car is doing fine, though...

I used to run Mobil1 in my Maxima due to oil consumption issues. I would run it to 5k.
I agree. For the cost of oil change and the time consumption to do it yourself...

Dam it though I have been using Fram for a long time. I guess I am lucky to not have any issues. I just switch to Bosch though with yesterdays oil change.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:35 PM
LOL there is NOTHING wrong with the way Frams are constructed, they are just overpriced for the OCOD variant. Has anyone ever had FIRST HAND experience using them?

I just picked up a Fram Ultra and have used OEM filters in the past for my car, OEM for the wife's car. I've never had an issue with OEM either.
http://www.fram.com/enca/products/oi...tra_oil_filter

Fram is perfectly fine, they had a few shitty runs decades ago (think 30 or so years) and like any business re-engineer, redevelop, and retest their filters. I wouldn't compare a '12 CTS-V to an '82 Cimarron.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
LOL there is NOTHING wrong with the way Frams are constructed, they are just overpriced for the OCOD variant. Has anyone ever had FIRST HAND experience using them?

I just picked up a Fram Ultra and have used OEM filters in the past for my car, OEM for the wife's car. I've never had an issue with OEM either.
http://www.fram.com/enca/products/oi...tra_oil_filter

Fram is perfectly fine, they had a few shitty runs decades ago (think 30 or so years) and like any business re-engineer, redevelop, and retest their filters. I wouldn't compare a '12 CTS-V to an '82 Cimarron.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttLaWepdL0
Cardboard end caps, and paper filters that can turn into mush if you don't change them out frequently enough. Neither the cardboard end caps or the paper filter element are popular features of any oil filter, and every FRAM filter uses both. They should be fine if you change them out within 3-4k miles, but many fear the filter falling apart prematurely. To most, the possible expense of rebuilding or replacing the motor is not worth the few bucks you will save by going with a FRAM filter.

Most OEM oil filters will be Bosch, Wix, or some other familiar brand.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

Last edited by dofu; 08-27-2012 at 04:36 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What oil filters do you guys use?