G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Top Speed Coilover review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Top Speed Coilover review

Top Speed coilovers, 10/7 rates, got them for about $650 shipped brand new. Design and quality was on par with the cost. Dampers seemed fine, no real complaints about adjustability but since I had a sedan make sure you set the rears to what you want, no guessing. Because you will have to uninstall them, adjust, then reinstall. Who wants to keep doing that? Not I

After a week the coils developed a clunk. Surprise, surprise. I removed the coilover and swapped it to the opposite side. The clunk was now isolated to the coilover. I removed both rears and made sure to tighten everything down, I also decided to check the control arms and loosen some bolts and then re-tighten them to spec (common thing to do after lowering a car from stock). Upon checking the fronts the bolts around the damper were loose. So it's highly recommended that you tighten the entire suspension before installing them as I doubt these outsourced coils are tightened down by some tech at his bench.
I continued getting the clunk from the rear, and this time it was happening on both rear coils.

So I called top speed. Let's just say they have ok customer service, nothing more, nothing less. Whoever answered my call did not know these coils for the coupes, fit the sedans. This is a true coilover setup btw. When bringing up the clunk I was instructed to tighten the bearings on the underside of the coil and that some needle nose pliers would do the trick. This did not work as there was no way anything could be adjusted regarding the bearings since they appeared to be punch pressed into the unit or something. I've read other members experiencing the same issue.

So I drove on these coils furthermore and cringed over more than slight bumps in the road. The rebound on the dampers seemed to be a bit slow also.
I ended up selling the car as I came across another car that I've wanted for a while so I never got around to resolving the clunk.

On my new car, I got a set of quality USA made coilovers and upgraded to swift springs and they do an amazing job with everything that is thrown at them. Uneven pavement, potholes, bumps, dips you name it. Point is, anything less than $900 it seems is crappy quality. Maybe top speed works great for 1 in 5 people, unfortunately and unlike Neo, I wasnt the 1.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I asked them about their camber kits-got this reply
"We had some issues with them and stopped selling them a while back" -that was all..

Their exhausts aren't of any quality either for what it's worth