G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Should I focus on tires, wheels, or suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I focus on tires, wheels, or suspension?

Hey guys- posting in this thread again because I have become more serious about modding (as well as having the financial capability to back some of it up). The first mod I did to my 2003 G35 6-speed was the RJM clutch adjustment, which especially helps with 1-2 shifts (I'd definitely recommend it).

I want to begin modding the car, particularly as it pertains to the exterior, and my focus is on tires, wheels, suspension, and the body kit.

Right now, my front tires are continental dws and the back tires are some Chinese crap. Although they all have decent tread, I might upgrade to some more serious all-seasons, or at least buy 2 DWS tires for the rear wheels. Another (relatively) inexpensive mod is the wheels- I think the 7 spoke 18 inch coupe wheels would look good here (additional opinions are much appreciated). My goal is potentially for the car to look like this: https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...hoes-pics.html

I also want to focus on making the exterior look nicer by modifying the rocker panels/ rocker molding. My plan was to either paint over them (prime, sand, paint) or buy replica side skirts and a front and rear bumper. I was drawn to the former option because it's cheaper.

The final beast is suspension. The reality is that I'm driving a 12 year old car that handles well but probably lacks fresh suspension. The issue for me is that even if I bought z springs and decent shocks, I would still have to throw in camber adjustment kits and other goodies. This could add up quickly, so this might be further down the line. However, I love the look of a tastefully lowered G.

Sorry for the wall of text, but any recommendations and advice would be more than welcome. Thanks again

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 PM

Here's a picture of the car itself

Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Look In the marketplace for a nice set of used wheels and tires.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
WHERE you want to start will determine WHAT you should buy first. Do you want it to LOOK good first or do you want it to GO good first.

Go Good:
Sway bars (best bang for the buck)
Tires (sticky summer rubber)
Those two will make the biggest difference in handling
Add: Tokico d-spec adjustable shocks
Lower about 1" (far as you should go without suspension mods

Look Good:

They CAN go together.
Wheels/Tires (bigger but lighter wheels with wider rubber)
then you can go nutz
Body kit, spolier, splitter, skirts, paint, etc.

I prefer the GO Good first.

YOU must chose your own path my padewan friend....

Last edited by Texasscout; 07-13-2015 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasscout:
Blue Dream (07-13-2015), Dundermuffin666 (07-13-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Having a '03 sedan your first concern s/b the condition of your suspension! Find a independent brake/alignment shop in your area and have everything checked out. The '06 coupe wheels look really good on sedans, fitment is just aggressive enough to look cool. You can find a set on our Marketplace under Private Classified 19" wheels, some come with tires. Body mods, attend meets and shows in your area to find what you really love! Lowering, unless you have close to $2K to do it right...pass!
Gary

The following 2 users liked this post by gary c:
Dundermuffin666 (07-13-2015), Texasscout (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would address suspension and tires, unless you want different looking wheels... then do all 3.

I did suspension first with 350Z revised springs and Tokico Blues. Suspension felt good, but the grip in the tires was lacking, so I killed two birds with one stone and replaced the wheels with A34 Rays 19s and Hankook Ventus V12s.

Once that was done, I replaced the swaybars since the stock endlinks were failing and did Stillen F/R with Whiteline endlinks. After that, the stock brakes were done, so I replaced them with Centric blanks, Brembo calipers from a 350Z, Stoptech braided lines, and OEM pads.

Here's my take on all of the upgrades.

- 350Z revised springs with Tokico Blues: The springs are good, but the spring rate in the rear is too much for the shocks. I would probably go with D-specs so I could adjust the rears a little bit.

- A34 Rays wheels with Hankook Ventus V12: I LOVE THESE WHEELS. They aren't crazy offset and aren't super wide, but they look like they came with the car. They are VERY light even compared to the stock 17s. I think the original Ventus V12s were a little too aggressive for what I wanted, so I replaced them with V12 Evo 2s when they wore out. I gave up a little bit of initial turn-in with the Evo 2s, but the increased road comfort makes up for it. Still a great tire, just dialed down a notch from the originals.

- Stillen sways with Whiteline Endlinks: The sways are great. I wish the endlinks would stay tight; the jamb nuts seem to get loose over time and cause a clunking noise at each corner. If I can't get them to stay tight with some threadlocker, then I'll build my own and call it a day.

- Brembo Brakes and Stoptech lines: I seriously don't know why Infiniti didn't offer the Brembos on the sedan. The stock brakes weren't bad, but I was able to fade them on some of the hills near my house. No issues with the Brembos and the Stoptech lines. The wheels DO get dirtier faster, but that's the tradeoff. I might try the Project Mu pads once these ones wear out.

The following 2 users liked this post by itgogitrev:
Dundermuffin666 (07-13-2015), Texasscout (07-12-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 01:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Totally agree to what has been said on earlier post. The Maketplace is good here. Both private and the vendors!

The following users liked this post:
Dundermuffin666 (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:54 AM
Thank you for the help thus far everyone. The stock wheels are starting to grow on me, but replacing them with other infiniti wheels is definitely a possibility. Does anyone know if painting the rocker panels is a possibility? That's one of the first things I would love to do. For all endeavors, I'll look at both the websites and the marketplace.

The only issue with tires is that I live somewhere rainy and snowy enough to necessitate all-seasons. Does anyone have any all-season recommendations?

Would the tokico shocks and z springs or eibach basic springs be a good and affordable combo, one that can be done without buying a camber kit? Thanks again for all the help guys-great community

Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Painting the rocker panels is a great idea, that alone will make your G look lower! It's important it gets done right since you want it to match and last, find one of those shops like "One Day" where it won't empty your wallet. Looking for new tires, go to www.thetirerack.com and ask their opinion on all season rubber. They sell at wholesale prices and will deliver to your door, the install will be on you. Lowering, any time you lower our cars you'll need a camber kit so you won't eat tires! Shocks, KYB shocks will give you a factory ride at half the price of tokico's if and when you need 'em!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
Dundermuffin666 (07-13-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Painting the rocker panels is a great idea, that alone will make your G look lower! It's important it gets done right since you want it to match and last, find one of those shops like "One Day" where it won't empty your wallet. Looking for new tires, go to www.thetirerack.com and ask their opinion on all season rubber. They sell at wholesale prices and will deliver to your door, the install will be on you. Lowering, any time you lower our cars you'll need a camber kit so you won't eat tires! Shocks, KYB shocks will give you a factory ride at half the price of tokico's if and when you need 'em!
Gary
Thanks for the help Gary. Right now, I'm looking at matching the paint of the rocker panels all around, doing tires, and then potentially doing revised Z-springs and a camber kit. The spring rate of the sport package is the same as the early Zs, so I wouldn't need struts to go with it. How does that sound? All Infiniti wheels are quite tempting, though....

Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
WHERE you want to start will determine WHAT you should buy first. Do you want it to LOOK good first or do you want it to GO good first.

Go Good:
Sway bars (best bang for the buck)
Tires (sticky summer rubber)
Those two will make the biggest difference in handling

Add: Tokico d-spec adjustable shocks
Lower about 1" (far as you should go without suspension mods

Look Good:

They CAN go together.
Wheels/Tires (bigger but lighter wheels with wider rubber)
then you can go nutz
Body kit, spolier, splitter, skirts, paint, etc.

I prefer the GO Good first.

YOU must chose your own path my padewan friend....
^^This.
Honestly, a set of Hotchkis swaybars and either summer tires or Conti DWS all around would be the best bang for your buck suspension work. Then you can save and do the springs/suspension stuff when you get around to it.

Painting the rocker panels and bottom part of the bumpers goes a long way in improving the looks of the sedan.