G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Would you repair or move on?

Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Would you repair or move on?

2006 G35x, in excellent condition, with a few cosmetic mods: tint, clear corners, partial rear debadge, 18" Wedsport TS-005 running nearly new Continental Control Contact Sport A/S, 235/45 R18, JDM battery cover. Also have an Osiris eTune from Joe.

So I ran over a chunk of concrete curb in the road that lodged under the front of the car and scraped along until I could stop:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post7094724

My question is: if I have this repaired, will it affect the drivability of the car at all? My assumption is that it will be fine, and I at least end up with a new radiator, which apparently start to go at this age (low miles though at 104,300).

If the repair will return the car to previous condition without weirdness, I'm inclined to stay with it and repair it.

Dealer quotes $6,700 to repair based strictly upon visual inspection, more could turn up: new radiator and radiator support, stabilizer assembly, two connecting rods, cross-member, lower engine cover are the big parts plus miscellaneous other items.

The other choice is to take the cash and look for something new. I'd rather not do that. I do have affection for the car after 4 years of being the second owner. I know it is in excellent shape and not burning oil. My Infiniti Elite Warranty runs out middle of next month, and I have a pile of parts waiting to be installed when it expires: MD spacer, SxExEx grounding kit, Hotchkis sway bars, among others. Plus a free re-tune from Joe when I put on the spacer within a year of the first tune. If I have them repair, I will have them put on the front Hotchkis sway instead of buy the new OEM.

Claim forms are on the way from the state DOT (this happened at a bridge replacement project and it is clear that it was the contractor's forces that dislodged the curb into the roadway). Once I send them back, they will forward to the contractor for claim consideration.

I've talked with my insurance and if the contractor doesn't play nice they will get involved. That would cost me the $250 deductible if my insurer ends up paying. But I have cadillac insurance and am confident they will cover up to whatever they value the car at. I think I can get the full amount if it doesn't go too much higher. Quick KBB valuation has it at $6,911 for private sale, dealer trade-in at $5,000.

Any thoughts you may have after plowing through this long post will be welcome.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Is it worth getting the front end alignment checked? I wonder if anything is bent, or if it's just a bit scraped up. The rad is cheap/ replace with mishimoto.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:21 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Since there appears to be no frame damage I'd say repair. You'll have all new parts on much of the front end and at 100K you'd be replacing some of that soon anyway. Try to push for an aluminim undertray to go along with your Hotchis sway, I believe they're cheaper than a new OEM and worth their weight in gold, especially if you DIY oil changes. As J mentioned above have them perform a new alignment because you'll definitely need one.

Hope it all works out for you and you have a bit of cash left over..........

Old 02-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Keep and repair. You'll be happier for it.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:19 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
does not seem like allot of damage. I brought my coupe back from 2 major accidents.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the good words, men. Strongly leaning toward repair if nothing serious turns up once we get into it. I can see pushing the claim through the contractor will take a while so I'm going to get my insurance started on it tomorrow and let them deal with reimbursement from the contractor.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I don't see anything too bad except for that broken carbon radiator support. Snapped mine before, that thing was expensive!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM
You're not kidding! $1,367 retail dealer price, IIRC. High $900s discounted online price. The cross member apparently is also damaged. That baby goes for about $1200+.

They're going to put it on the lift for me to look at for myself this afternoon. Will probably go for broke (literally and figuratively) and replace/upgrade all the front suspension parts while it's all apart anyway. At 105K, its close to time if not already there.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Go with energy bushing front and rear! Most likely both are worn out (F&R), look for the cracks.

Would you repair or move on?-photo877.jpg

Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Can you find one used?

I'd think if you could find a G35 in a yard, the drivetrain would be pulled and you can easily take that bumper off. Might be right there easy access to take the support off

Old 03-02-2017, 06:29 PM
So to wrap up this thread and put a bow on it.

Insurance declared it a total loss. They valued the car at $8,731.60. Parts and labor was running about $6,100. So when you put it into the percentage machine plus the uncertainty of whether more damage would be uncovered, they said enough.

I was leaning hard toward buying it back, taking the salvage title and repairing it. Discovered the salvage title would void my Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty, and the warranty would not cover all the little things I was storing up for one last fix (it expires after 4 years in two weeks, so the timing of this was bad, all bad). So I'd have to pay for those fixes too.

Meantime, I had been researching current G35 availability and pricing just to be informed in my decision-making. The warranty issue pushed me over the edge to start looking harder.

On Monday I stumbled across a 2006 Lakeshore Slate coupe 5AT with premium and sport-tuned suspension packages three hours away in Norfolk. With 26,500 miles. I pushed away from the computer and got in my wife's car and drove there. I looked at it. I drove it. I put down a refundable deposit while it got a pre-purchase inspection at the nearby Infiniti dealer the next day (this was a trade-in at a Nissan dealer). No deal-breakers. I drove up yesterday and got it.

So I have taken the sow's ear of the demise of my much-loved and pampered 2006 sedanX and turned it into the silk purse of driving awesomeness.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Sounds like you love what you drive, get 'er fixed and enjoy the ride...Gary

Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
So to wrap up this thread and put a bow on it.

Insurance declared it a total loss. They valued the car at $8,731.60. Parts and labor was running about $6,100. So when you put it into the percentage machine plus the uncertainty of whether more damage would be uncovered, they said enough.

I was leaning hard toward buying it back, taking the salvage title and repairing it. Discovered the salvage title would void my Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty, and the warranty would not cover all the little things I was storing up for one last fix (it expires after 4 years in two weeks, so the timing of this was bad, all bad). So I'd have to pay for those fixes too.

Meantime, I had been researching current G35 availability and pricing just to be informed in my decision-making. The warranty issue pushed me over the edge to start looking harder.

On Monday I stumbled across a 2006 Lakeshore Slate coupe 5AT with premium and sport-tuned suspension packages three hours away in Norfolk. With 26,500 miles. I pushed away from the computer and got in my wife's car and drove there. I looked at it. I drove it. I put down a refundable deposit while it got a pre-purchase inspection at the nearby Infiniti dealer the next day (this was a trade-in at a Nissan dealer). No deal-breakers. I drove up yesterday and got it.

So I have taken the sow's ear of the demise of my much-loved and pampered 2006 sedanX and turned it into the silk purse of driving awesomeness.

You might look back at the sedan and feel a way, it may be nostalgic but it won't be regret.

Originally Posted by gary c
Sounds like you love what you drive, get 'er fixed and enjoy the ride...Gary
You're a bit late to the party

Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
You might look back at the sedan and feel a way, it may be nostalgic but it won't be regret.You're a bit late to the party
Thank you for that. You are exactly right. The sedanX was my intro to things G (seems I stumble through life, but I'm apparently charmed and my unintentional discoveries are generally most pleasant), but it didn't take long for me to figure out that if I had known more I might have made different choices. But I have finally arrived at the party, even if a little bit late.

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Thank you for that. You are exactly right. The sedanX was my intro to things G (seems I stumble through life, but I'm apparently charmed and my unintentional discoveries are generally most pleasant), but it didn't take long for me to figure out that if I had known more I might have made different choices. But I have finally arrived at the party, even if a little bit late.
This is literally me, sedan X to coupe with projectors. Nice buy... I'm jealous of the mileage.

My best advice is to inspect the suspension bushings and make sure everything is in order with the engine (no leaking, period).

Good luck picking it up!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.