G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New owner, not sure what to do.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner, not sure what to do.

I recently bought a 2003 manual sedan with some low miles. The car is entirely stock besides for an exhaust that the previous owner put on. I took the car out for its first canyon run and the results were a bit mixed. Engine, throttle, shifter, and clutch worked well to my liking. Steering was okay, wished it to have a bit more feel and weight. What didn't work so well was the suspension. I expected it not to fair so well coming into the run, but id love to know what to do in relation to tightening everything up. Its a bit too sloppy and soft. What I really didn't like was the brakes. It lacks pedal feel, initial bite, and the brake fade was borderline dangerous towards the end. So i'm asking for some advice as what to do. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You may not want to hear this...

Welcome to the G35 Driver forums Fuzeable! The first gen G35 sedan isn't the car I would choose for canyon runs without spending major $$ to make it work like you want! Sell it and buy a Miata that is made for canyon runs! Miata is a great tool to teach you how to get the most out of what you're driving!
Gary

Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzeable
I recently bought a 2003 manual sedan with some low miles. The car is entirely stock besides for an exhaust that the previous owner put on. I took the car out for its first canyon run and the results were a bit mixed. Engine, throttle, shifter, and clutch worked well to my liking. Steering was okay, wished it to have a bit more feel and weight. What didn't work so well was the suspension. I expected it not to fair so well coming into the run, but id love to know what to do in relation to tightening everything up. Its a bit too sloppy and soft. What I really didn't like was the brakes. It lacks pedal feel, initial bite, and the brake fade was borderline dangerous towards the end. So i'm asking for some advice as what to do. Thanks.
First, post some pics of the new ride!!

Then you can look at coilovers, camber kits, new bushings, sway bars, big brake kit, etc. Keep in mind a lot of 350z parts are cross over to the g35 as well. I am running all 350z components in my suspension set up. Really, the options are as endless but maybe not as your bank account may be!!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:07 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
First thing I'd do is make sure everything is mechanically up to snuff. The suspension shouldn't feel sloppy and the brake issues could either be a serious issue or the previous owner simply cheaping out on brake pads. Stock suspension for the 6 speed sedans is pretty good and it should stop well in normal driving.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
If you want to enjoy canyon runs, get your class 6 and buy a motorcycle! Or a Miata as stated. You bought a family car, use it as such. A good day on a bike is better than a great day in a car.