G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Longer than usual crank times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by 99zx2turd
Weird stuff is happening. I'm now getting slower than usual crank times after the car has set for a bit. No problems overnight, but if I leave it for about 2 hours or so, it's noticeable. Ordered and received a fuel pump, but my hunch this could be a starter issue, though it doesn't explain longer crank times, unless the starter wasn't catching the flywheel then. Could also be timing, but I'm not familiar enough with this engine to diagnose this at this point. Just noticed the posts above mentioned slower crank times as well and cam sensor. Could give this a shot also.
Just had the same problem. Turned out to be a dead cell in the battery.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Before you do anything else read my sig and follow the instructions there.
Only have a pending code for p0550, which has been there since the time I bought it last year.

Originally Posted by Texasscout
Just had the same problem. Turned out to be a dead cell in the battery.
Lol Just had a new battery put in last month. Not ruling this out, but that would be bizarre, to say the least.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Well, the battery went kaput today. Hopped in and it wouldn't start... Took to AZ and they tested it negative, so I talked them into a new battery (this one was still fresh - 03/16). I'm very surprised that this (almost new) battery went bad so quickly. I'll update if long cranks come back again. Appreciate your input!
You ignored the most obvious by not checking your battery first.
Why do you come here, ask for advise and then ignore the most obvious solution?

Weird stuff is happening. I'm now getting slower than usual crank times after the car has set for a bit. No problems overnight, but if I leave it for about 2 hours or so, it's noticeable. Ordered and received a fuel pump, but my hunch this could be a starter issue, though it doesn't explain longer crank times, unless the starter wasn't catching the flywheel then. Could also be timing, but I'm not familiar enough with this engine to diagnose this at this point. Just noticed the posts above mentioned slower crank times as well and cam sensor. Could give this a shot also.
Did you ever think of getting a professional opinion on your issue?
Why would your order a fuel pump without first testing fuel pump pressure
Go pay for a one hour diagnostic charge at an Infiniti dealer.
Or you can continue to replace random parts and return here for additional opinions without ever finding out the root cause.

Telcoman

Last edited by telcoman; 02-17-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:46 AM
All true... but, I have found that most mechanics are nothing more than highly paid parts changers. They swap out parts until the problem stops.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Texasscout
All true... but, I have found that most mechanics are nothing more than highly paid parts changers. They swap out parts until the problem stops.
They tend to follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM
If for example the fuel pump pressure tests low and the FSM calls for replacement of the fuel pump then that is what they do. They are not going to risk a repeat return for the same problem after cleaning contacts or O rings or something & having to do the job over for free

That might have been procedure in the old days of a Model T but no more with expensive labor charges and high tech computerized vehicles.
Customer satisfaction is important and fixing and resolving the problem the first time is the goal in today's environment.

Telcoman

Old 02-18-2017, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by telcoman
You ignored the most obvious by not checking your battery first.
Why do you come here, ask for advise and then ignore the most obvious solution?

Did you ever think of getting a professional opinion on your issue?
Why would your order a fuel pump without first testing fuel pump pressure
Go pay for a one hour diagnostic charge at an Infiniti dealer.
Or you can continue to replace random parts and return here for additional opinions without ever finding out the root cause.

Telcoman
Did someone pee in your wheaties? The new battery was not the "obvious solution." I bought the pump because it felt like a fueling issue to me the way the car was behaving. I'm def. not taking the car to the stealership...
I will update the thread once the issue has been resolved.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I'd check the fuel pressure, but you need to buy an adapter to fit between the fuel damper and a replacement o-ring.

Double check the battery as well just in case.

Does your RPM needle jump when you try to crank and it doesn't start? I'd follow the FSM for checking the cam/crank sensors out.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, all.

I've had the car for about 7 months now and it's been great. One thing I did notice back in late spring-early summer was it would crank longer (starter spin) than usual every now and then, when I'd leave the car for a few hours after a drive. Never in the morning, or sitting for long periods of time.

It seemed like it first started after I replaced the plugs (I think I got the Autolites iridium in there). On the very first start after the plugs were changed, it spun the starter for a while. I actually couldn't get it to start and had to crank it second time, and it started perfectly. I just brushed it off then.

Fast forward a few months and I get a cel for some evap (small leak?) code. I tighten the gas cap and reset the code and it never comes back. The car starts fine after short rests again... I was like, great. Well, it's starting to cool down here now, and the car is starting to do this again lol I get somewhere, let the car sit for a few hours and get a long crank. Never in the morning.

I've been thinking it was the fuel pump, and I do want to cycle the key on-off a few times to test the theory, but wanted to check in with you first. The battery is fine - it's cranking like it should.

Thanks!
Your first post on your problem was three months ago
You are not even sure what plugs you have in your vehicle.
If they are not OEM plugs you may want to start your troubleshooting there?

Did someone pee in your wheaties? The new battery was not the "obvious solution." I bought the pump because it felt like a fueling issue to me the way the car was behaving. I'm def. not taking the car to the stealership...
I will update the thread once the issue has been resolved.
No I didn't pee in my wheaties but was only trying to provide you some assistance.
You feel the problem is a fueling issue without performing any conclusive fuel pump pressure tests. I'm sure you know what the definition of insanity is? (doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.)
Why are you not at least following the troubleshooting steps in the FSM?

Yes yes keep us updated not only on the wasted money that you've spent but all the wasted hours, days and months.

BTW a simple oil change done at the dealer with a mention of your problem to the service advisor might have informed you of the problem over three months ago.

Keep replacing parts that "you feel" is the root cause because your automotive troubleshooting skills are severely lacking.

Telcoman

Old 02-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Is it any wonder why they put him on "ignore status "

Old 02-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Slow cranks resolved

I was going to write a thing or two to Mr. Telcoman, but it's not worth it. All I will say is, the issue was very intermittent and would come and go as it pleased, until a few weeks ago when I've noticed the cranks slowing down, especially after short stops. As far as wasting time and money, I have spent $20 on the pump and less than an hour of my time, if that, by researching the forums. I think Mr. T wasted more of his time being pissed off at my inability to troubleshoot and severely lacking technical skills. I apologize to him for that and promise to be a better student from now on.

As luck would have it, I got stranded in a parking lot yesterday afternoon. Car drove fine to the place, but as soon as I shut it off, it would not restart for the remainder of the night. Using what little technical knowledge I do have, I've narrowed it down to the starter. I'd get a single click and nothing, and eventually no noise from the starter at all. Battery was fine and it wouldn't even try to crank with another car hooked up to it.
Wanted to get one from RockAuto, but went with Duralast from AZ. After about 45 mins, the new starter was in and she cranked over. Drove around town and made some short stops - she never sounded as good as she does now while starting.

Thank you for participating in this thread. If long cranks come back, I will troubleshoot per FSM first, as Mr. T suggested, before posting.

The following users liked this post:
Texasscout (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I was going to write a thing or two to Mr. Telcoman, but it's not worth it. .
It's not. We all fukin ignore him

The following users liked this post:
Texasscout (02-20-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to write a thing or two to Mr. Telcoman, but it's not worth it. All I will say is, the issue was very intermittent and would come and go as it pleased, until a few weeks ago when I've noticed the cranks slowing down, especially after short stops. As far as wasting time and money, I have spent $20 on the pump and less than an hour of my time, if that, by researching the forums. I think Mr. T wasted more of his time being pissed off at my inability to troubleshoot and severely lacking technical skills. I apologize to him for that and promise to be a better student from now on.

As luck would have it, I got stranded in a parking lot yesterday afternoon. Car drove fine to the place, but as soon as I shut it off, it would not restart for the remainder of the night. Using what little technical knowledge I do have, I've narrowed it down to the starter. I'd get a single click and nothing, and eventually no noise from the starter at all. Battery was fine and it wouldn't even try to crank with another car hooked up to it.
Wanted to get one from RockAuto, but went with Duralast from AZ. After about 45 mins, the new starter was in and she cranked over. Drove around town and made some short stops - she never sounded as good as she does now while starting.

Thank you for participating in this thread. If long cranks come back, I will troubleshoot per FSM first, as Mr. T suggested, before posting.
You got the link for which starter you bought? My car is cranking long and sometimes sputters while starting.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by dpark0223
You got the link for which starter you bought? My car is cranking long and sometimes sputters while starting.
It was a regular Duralast that Autozone sells.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.