G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

P0011/P0021, will not crank

Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0011/P0021, will not crank

My son's 2003 G35 Sedan died on him this weekend. Since it has died, it will not even crank. Turn the key, and nothing! I checked the codes and it had codes P0011, P0021 and P0442. P0011/P0021 are for the Camshaft A Sensor (bank 1). I replaced that sensor in November, but that doesn't mean the new one isn't bad.

I've seen a number of posts related to P0011/P0021, but even with those codes and the issues related to them, the car is running. Considering these codes and the engine won't even crank, is it most likely that Bank 1 sensor? Anything else I'm not considering?

Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
^^^^^
The battery!
Test it!

Telcoman

Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
^^^^^
The battery!
Test it!

Telcoman
Thanks for the reply, telcoman. I thought of that and replaced it last night with the same results. I didn't do a proper test on it, but since it was nearly four years old, I went ahead and replaced it.I also tried to jump it off, but that didn't help either.

Last edited by JRandallC; 01-09-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Well that was a good start but have you checked the FSM?

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu.../Sedan/2003/sc

Not cranking and not starting are two different issues

See pages SC 9 and 10

Telcoman

Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
Maybe the fuel pump is bad?
What does the fuel pump have to do with an engine not cranking?

Telcoman

Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by JRandallC
My son's 2003 G35 Sedan died on him this weekend. Since it has died, it will not even crank. Turn the key, and nothing! I checked the codes and it had codes P0011, P0021 and P0442. P0011/P0021 are for the Camshaft A Sensor (bank 1). I replaced that sensor in November, but that doesn't mean the new one isn't bad.

I've seen a number of posts related to P0011/P0021, but even with those codes and the issues related to them, the car is running. Considering these codes and the engine won't even crank, is it most likely that Bank 1 sensor? Anything else I'm not considering?
I think telco is spot on with the battery suggestion but my question is did you replace the cam sensor with an OEM or an aftermarket version? Our cars can be very finicky with these sensors and a lot of times they don't like aftermarket.........Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I think telco is spot on with the battery suggestion but my question is did you replace the cam sensor with an OEM or an aftermarket version? Our cars can be very finicky with these sensors and a lot of times they don't like aftermarket.........Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
It was an aftermarket, and that's been the biggest red flag in the back of my head. I think replacing that bank 1 sensor will be my first step.

From his description of the symptoms, he was coming into our neighbhorhood and the car just died on him. He coasted it as far as he could then parked and tried to start it, and it would not start at all. No cranking, etc. And it's been like that since. Since his car has exhibited that behaviour intermittently when the other sensor has been finicky in the past, it really looks like the sensor has just completely died. I'll replace it and let everyone know.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Cool, thanks. Amazon has the OEM Bank 1 sensor for $74, not sure how much the Bank 2 is. Our local Infiniti/Nissan dealers wanted $184/$167 respectively for the exact same part.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 PM
I replaced both camshaft sensors with OEM models and have the same results, zero crank when turning the key. I'm pretty much stuck now. Bad starter? Bit the car wouldn't spontaneously for from a bad starter, unless it seized.

When I first looked at the car, I pulled engine codes and one of them was for an unregistered key. That could have locked the engine after (possibly) a bad sensor (which has been replaced). I've pulled the battery for 30 minutes and now I'm pulling it overnight. Is there a way to confirm if a locked key is or is not the issue? My son used the unregistered spare to try and start it the next morning (forgot he couldn't use it) but that didn't cause the original problem.

I do appreciate the feedback, everyone. If the Infiniti gods don't come down soon, I'll probably need to salvage it. Top many other small issues and blemishes to put much money into it. But I'd hate to see our G35 go down like this.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 AM

Have you replaced the crankshaft sensor? It's accessible under the car towards the front and is super easy to change out. Since you're having cranking issues it's a relatively inexpensive part to replace that might help. The unregistered key issue is a new one to me. In almost 9 years here I don't remember anyone having that issue before you guys.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Take out the starter and put 12v to it. If good put it back in
Take out the six spark plugs
Does the engine turn over with the plugs out
Paying for an hour of diagnosis by an Infiniti dealer may have saved you lots of time, trouble, and aggravation?
If you replaced non OEM sensors without determining that they were the root cause may have just complicated the problem?
A dealer can tell you if the use of an unregistered key is the root cause of no crank

Telcoman

Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Have you replaced the crankshaft sensor? It's accessible under the car towards the front and is super easy to change out. Since you're having cranking issues it's a relatively inexpensive part to replace that might help. The unregistered key issue is a new one to me. In almost 9 years here I don't remember anyone having that issue before you guys.
I haven't replaced the Crankshaft sensor, but since I plan on testing the starter this weekend, I'll probably go ahead and replace it at that point. The codes I pulled, none of them were for the crankshaft sensor, only for the two camshaft sensors. But at this point it wouldn't hurt. Thanks

Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the P0011 and P0021 codes last week after changing my valve cover gasket and plugs. I ran half a can of seafoam in the crankcase for 40 miles changed the oil while hot to get all the junk out while it's floating. Then I pulled and cleaned the sensors with Carb cleaner added new oil with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. Since then she has been running amazing.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 AM
I appreciate all the feedback and help, everyone, but the G35 is dead. I got underneath it last night to pull the starter so I could test it and there was a hole in the bottom of the engine, just before it meets the transmission. With that much damage, it isn't worth repairing.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got pics of the damage?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.