G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Front Camber issue (right)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
Front Camber issue (right)

My 08 G has 230 thousand miles. I was told at the Infiniti shop that my right front camber was negative 1.9 degrees (putting that reading in the "red") but there was no adjustment for it. In July of 16 i had the upper ball joint assembly replaced on the right side. I then had an alignment performed (by the dealer) about a week later. My tires have always worn evenly. The tires that were on the vehicle in July when this work was done had 50 thousand miles on them and were just about ready for replacement. In November of 2016 i noticed the right front tire had worn unevenly down to the belts on the inside of the tire (closest to the engine) I had not noticed any uneven wear at all for anytime prior. I have been hearing a "clopping" sound (like horse shoes over a wooden bridge!!!) when going over bumps - emanating from the right front. I started noticing this noise prior to replacing the upper ball joint assembly. I thought that was the problem. It was not. An independent mechanic i use from time to time and also trust completely noticed play in that side and believed the problem to be the upper BJ. I still have the noise when going over bumps and NO ONE can find out what is causing it. The technicians at the Infininti garage spent quite a deal of time inspecting the steering/suspension. As i understand it there are no real good definitive tests for wear with respect to bushings and related front end parts that were common place on older vehicles.
To summarize - i am hearing this "clopping" noise from right front over bumps - i am not noticing any pulling while steering or braking. The ride and steering is not affected to the best of my knowledge. My right front camber is negative 1.9 degrees after the 4 wheel alignment. I had an alignment back in July and another one yesterday. The reason for the one yesterday was i asked them to check it while the car was in for a transmission fluid flush. This is the first time i noticed every wheel not being in specification. Will one of you guys that have a commanding understanding of the suspension / steering systems on these cars please offer me some advice. Thank you very much Larry

Old 02-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
I replaced the front struts and rear shocks at 144 thousand by the way. So they have 86 thousand miles on them. I asked the mechanic to replace the part that holds the strut/shock at that time also at the advice of one of our posters (maybe Gary) i cannot remember. But i am assuming the technicians at Infiniti have checked these parts as a comprehensive check. I am returning to the dealer later this week hopefully armed with some advice i pick up here - so if in fact you have an educated guess or opinion - please share it with me.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Jesus Christ that's a lot of words.

Your compression rod bushings need to be replaced, man. That's all.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Check out your lower control arms as well. Both of the parts Scraggle and I mentioned have bushings that will fail over time and they will affect your suspension/alignment dramatically. If either or both are bad you have 2 options: buy just bushings and have the old ones pressed out of the arms and the new ones pressed in or just buy whole new arms. rockauto.com has a great selection of parts and pricing so look there if you want new arms. A lot of members have gone to poly bushings from companies like Whiteline and Energy Suspension with good, long term results. However poly will be stiffer than stock and might squeak and make noise so pick your poison.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.