2006 G35x, in excellent condition, with a few cosmetic mods: tint, clear corners, partial rear debadge, 18" Wedsport TS-005 running nearly new Continental Control Contact Sport A/S, 235/45 R18, JDM battery cover. Also have an Osiris eTune from Joe.
So I ran over a chunk of concrete curb in the road that lodged under the front of the car and scraped along until I could stop:
My question is: if I have this repaired, will it affect the drivability of the car at all? My assumption is that it will be fine, and I at least end up with a new radiator, which apparently start to go at this age (low miles though at 104,300).
If the repair will return the car to previous condition without weirdness, I'm inclined to stay with it and repair it.
Dealer quotes $6,700 to repair based strictly upon visual inspection, more could turn up: new radiator and radiator support, stabilizer assembly, two connecting rods, cross-member, lower engine cover are the big parts plus miscellaneous other items.
The other choice is to take the cash and look for something new. I'd rather not do that. I do have affection for the car after 4 years of being the second owner. I know it is in excellent shape and not burning oil. My Infiniti Elite Warranty runs out middle of next month, and I have a pile of parts waiting to be installed when it expires: MD spacer, SxExEx grounding kit, Hotchkis sway bars, among others. Plus a free re-tune from Joe when I put on the spacer within a year of the first tune. If I have them repair, I will have them put on the front Hotchkis sway instead of buy the new OEM.
Claim forms are on the way from the state DOT (this happened at a bridge replacement project and it is clear that it was the contractor's forces that dislodged the curb into the roadway). Once I send them back, they will forward to the contractor for claim consideration.
I've talked with my insurance and if the contractor doesn't play nice they will get involved. That would cost me the $250 deductible if my insurer ends up paying. But I have cadillac insurance and am confident they will cover up to whatever they value the car at. I think I can get the full amount if it doesn't go too much higher. Quick KBB valuation has it at $6,911 for private sale, dealer trade-in at $5,000.
Any thoughts you may have after plowing through this long post will be welcome.