G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Engine Rebuild: Worth it? Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Rebuild: Worth it? Advice?

Hey all, newly registered though I've checked these boards a few times.

I own a 2005 g35x at with about 93k miles on it. Got it a few years ago around 78k, no warrantys or guarantees (Never again, but this was my first time buying alone and I think youthful excitement got the best of me).

I noticed some engine noise and white exhaust so I took it to a local dealer, where they did a compression test which showed ~80% on all cylinders. I think they got scuffed at the end of a long road trip that I should have changed the oil before taking, but it doesn't seem like that would be enough for all this. Whatever the cause, here I am.

I would sell and move on to a new vehicle except that the mileage is so low and I did foresee getting another three or four years out of this car at least. I don't want to spend 40-60% of what I paid for the car to get a remanufactured engine installed, but I love the car and can't stop kicking myself.

Is it feasible or reasonable to try and find a mechanic/machinist to reman my current engine? Does the relatively low mileage on my block make it any more valuable? Will I see any kind of savings over buying a remanned engine? In any case does it make sense over trying to get what I can in a trade-in on a different car?

Any personal anecdotes, general rules of thumb, recommendations, etc. will help. I'm out of my depth.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Cheap Chinese rings is a known issue. That is likely your situation. Car's value is not worth the investment in a new/rebuilt power plant. Just check your oil frequently and buy it in bulk. You can keep it on the road fine and it won't strand you because of this as long as you keep the oil topped off.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Should be able to find a reasonably low mileage used engine for less than a rebuild. But the ring issue is a crap shoot. Some had problems, some didn't.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

First of all thanks for the responses. I read them right away.

Since then I've been trying to make a decision. I'm seeing some low mileage used engines at a reasonable price. I've been keeping an eye on my oil and she's not running very rough but I hate how it sounds. I think I'll look at trading it in for a newer G unless anyone has a better idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.