G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Calling all 05 Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Lip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend with a similar issue on a Lexus GS300-= Dealer unable to figure out why the car vibrates- They believe that the suspension mounting points are slightly out of spec causing a resonance(vibration) to be felt through the steering wheel- I wonder if the car is just off a bit?
Question- When was the car built?

My 2005 G35x was built 11/04 does not have a vibration.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:42 AM
The odds of the car being wrong coming from the factory on a G35 are slim to none. You want as few people touching that car as possible. good advice on concentricity on the hubs if after market wheels.

My son had the front brake pads replaced on the Protege5. He was 1,000 miles away at college or I would have had it done. Said he had vibration at 65 mph. Took it in to a large chain tire shop where he was asked after inspection, "did you buy these tires at Tire Rack" These were the OEM replacement performance Dunlops which nobody stocks so it was a safe assumption the guy was making. So when he answered yes, he was told two of the tires had flat spots. Yeah right, what's the odds of that, were they trying to sell him tires?

Anyhow, it finally comes home and out comes my torque wrench. When loosening lug nuts I notice one wheel had a nut a good bit less tight than the others. Re-torqued everyting to 80 ft-lbs, problem solved.

When you take your wheels off, carefully inspect how they mate to the rotor. Should be nice flat surfaces.

Do not do let anyone else touch the car before you personally inspect and torque the lug nuts.

Last edited by ex_MGB; 06-09-2005 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Update. I spoke with the dealer yesterday and the vibration that I am claiming, mainly the passenger seat shaking at high speeds which eventually is felt in the steering wheel etc... is also happening on other brand new G's with the same options as mine. Keep in mind which I believe I forgot to mention, I have the 05 G sedan, with sport tuned suspension, aero kit, mud guards and premium package. They put same rims and tires after rechecking the balance from a brand new G and the shake is present. Also they drove about 2-3 new G's in the lot and same thing. I have to go in tomorrow or Sat to drive these new G's to see the vibration present. Again I have the Goodyears 18 inch mounted but I did see some of the newer cars with the chrome package with Bridgestones. I will drive two cars with these tires to see what I find. One thing that was posted in my previous post by a G owner was that he drove about 5 cars as he purchased his to find one with NO vibration. Hmmm... Those that have responded and tested for me, what options does your G have? I am trying to narrow this down as much as possible. Also the wheels and tires were tested on the ROAD FORCE BALANCE machine and all are OK.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I've got about 650 miles on my 05 and no vibrations at all.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I have an 05 g35x.

With the original el42s I had a vibration for about the first 10 minutes of driving, flatspotting issue I believe. Was smooth after that, although there was a bit too much "road feel" for my tastes.

I replaced them with Toyo TPT 215/55/17 at 790 miles. I had bad vibrations starting at 60+ MPH right away. Road force found one wheel/tire to be 29lbs!! 1.5 hours of work by the tire guy got it to 9lbs. The rest were 13lbs, 13lbs, and 6lbs. Car still had a vibration and shimmy.

1560 miles Toyo replaced under the toyo test drive (500miles or 45 days) with Michelin MXV4 S8 215/55/17, these were balanced on a hoffman balancer (non road force). Now the car is near perfect for me. I still get the occasional vibration, but I believe it is road surface related.

I bought a set of the 05 sport package 18s off a guy on the forum, they have 7 miles on them. I am going to put them on today and I will report back with any vibration issues.

I should add I am very sensitive to vibration.

I had an 02 Corvette z06 with a shimmy, never fixed, traded in for a 20k loss to get rid of it.

Traded for an 03 Lexus RX300, had a vibration and shimmy also. Dealer unable to fix. Traded in at no loss for an 04 RX330 that is perfect!

I traded in an 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T that had a shimmy also for this Infiniti.

Now I have an 05 G35x with issues. The only cars I never had shimmy issues with were hondas.

94 Acura Integra
98 Acura Integra
01 Acura Integra
99 Civic SI
01 s2000

No shimmys with any of them.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:12 PM
My passenger seat shakes as well... even when the rest of the car is fine...may be normal?

Old 06-10-2005, 02:44 AM
I guess this goes without saying. Make sure your vehicle and all vehicles you test drive have the correct pressure.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Argetni your post about the seat vibration was it with the 17 or with the new 18 inch rims?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
No vibrations on mine.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by hgiljr
Argetni your post about the seat vibration was it with the 17 or with the new 18 inch rims?
Both. The new 18's (Bridgestone ER33) are even worse though. I think UPS may have done something to them. I will get them balanced Monday and report back.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:10 PM
I have 12,500 miles. I've ALWAYS noticed some weird vibrations on the shifter when the car travelling at normal freeway speeds and I'm not holding on to it. I always thought it was normal. I mean you would think my shifter was a vibrator gone mad.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I too feel it in the shifter, arm rest and eventually the steering wheel. As the passenger seat increases the vibration, the more you feel it moving towards the driver seat. I am off to the dealer now, will test drive various new models with both goodyear and bridgestones to see what I find. Will keep all posted.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Update on my complete issue. Finally made it to the dealer today and drove my car with another set of Goodyears mounted and not as bad of a vibration but still there. I then took a drive in another G35 brand new, still had the stickers on the car. Same thing but worse. I then suggested to drive another G but with the Bridgestones. WOW what a horrible ride. Major road feel here and rough ride compared to the Goodyear and worse of all vibration still present at many speed ranges. So the Service manager will attempt one more thing, contact the district manager to authorize a set of another tires, Michellin or something else to see if the vibration continues. If it does I have two options, sit down with the GM of the dealer to see how we can work something out, maybe a G without the sports package which is a NO NO for me since I do not like the look of it too much or begin the Lemon Law process since it is ridiculous that we pay so much money for a car to vibrate like this one does and the dealer tell me that it is normal. Will continue updating this post as new developments occur. Thanks again for all your help and info...

Old 06-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Do you have the goodyear's on your car or do you have the bridgestone's??

If you have the goodyear's, go to your dealer and ask them to swap your goodyear's with 4 new bridgestone's from a new vehicle on the lot. Mags and all. Have the dealer put both vehicle's on the lift side by side, and swap the entire wheels.

Then go for a roadtest, see if there is a difference.

If you have the bridgestone's , well your up ****'s creak without a paddle,
Just kidding!!
I've heard the new G's are having problems with the goodyear's

Old 06-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Maybe it is "normal" and we are just such fine tuned people that we feel things others would deem as "normal"

Like I said, this is my 4th brand new car in 3 years and all have had a vibration issue.

GM
VW
Lexus
Infiniti

American., German, Japanese, Michelins, Bridgestones, Goodyears, Toyos, 15,16,17,18" wheels.

I am going fing crazy...maybe I have the shimmy in my head

Though I should add my wife's 2004 RX330 is perfect, no shimmy or vibration up to 100mph...maybe we should just swap cars...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Calling all 05 Owners