G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

DIY 2003/2004 G35 Sedan rattle exorcism

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
^ Yep, I am talking about the door, or door area.

I'm just trying to eliminate as many things as possible by going through the center console and dash. I plan to keep this car forever, so I don't mind the work.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that this thread got resurrected so to speak, does anyone else have an annoying rattle coming from the sunroof? The dealer couldnt replicate it awhile back, but it is really annoying as it gets colder out. I can put my hand up there and hold something and it stops, but i have yet to stick my head up there and look.. I guess I always forget about it by the time i get home..

Old 11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mermarine
Tonight I'm going to completely disassemble the center console and dash, then felt tape the crap out of all of it.

4mermarine: let me know how you made out, particularly if you find a fix for the door ticking.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I took the glove box and navigation cover assembly off last night. I completely disassembled the navigation cover assembly and felt taped the crap out of it! Low and behold now I have this awful squeak coming from the far passenger side vent. So I'll be taking that off later to fix it. Boy is that whole assembly a big POS! It's a mass of plastic on plastic! Another thing I've noticed while going through this process is that every screw and bolt I've come into contact with (including the one in the door) aren't really tight. It just seems like all of them aren't tightened down at all. ??? So I've been tightening every bolt I see. I've been driving around today without the glove box and with the felting of the nav assy it seems to have helped alot!

So I'll continue on tonight with felting the glove box and that should only leave me with the mysterious creak I still have. I'm going to let the dealer tackle that one. I have a suspisicion that it's the notorious headliner creak...

Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
When i get my car back from the shop i will try to get rid of every single rattle possible.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:14 PM
So I've felt taped the crap out of the Nav assembly and the glove box and everything is back together again. What a difference! I agree with DaveB that it is amazing how much noise was coming out of that area! Once I get the creak fixed it'll be a huge improvement no doubt. I just think that whole area was poorly designed and secured in a big way.

Next up is the rear deck area.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mermarine
Next up is the rear deck area.
The interior side of the deck is pretty easy to quiet with a couple of strategically placed pieces of foam between the back glass and deck. Use a screwdriver to stuff the foam down. The under side of the deck is addressed on the first page. Good luck. Luckily these a Japanese cars so they tend to come a part and go back together fairly easily.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by catsnmusic
What does godmans mean below when he says door handle cables? I have the same noise he does but I'm not sure what piece he's referring to.
Thanks, Mary
The cables are the peices that actuate the door latch mechanisms. When you take off the door panel, you'll see the cables. They tend to tap the metal frame of the door. The rattle is easy to fix with some foam or felt tape placed between the cable and door. Pictures are in post #1.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Dave or anyone else, can you answer this one?
With the window rattle, and the TSB that says replace the window regular bolts because they're too long, can you tell me exactly what the "too long" bolts are doing to cause the rattle? What are they doing, that they are too long, are they rubbing or tapping something?
Thank you,
Mary

Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by geew1z
Now that this thread got resurrected so to speak, does anyone else have an annoying rattle coming from the sunroof? The dealer couldnt replicate it awhile back, but it is really annoying as it gets colder out. I can put my hand up there and hold something and it stops, but i have yet to stick my head up there and look.. I guess I always forget about it by the time i get home..
Yes, I now have this. Please keep me posted if you figure it out.
Mary

Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Smile

I did some felt around the manual shifter and the three plastic tabs that touch it underneath during my lunch hour. No squeaks at all coming from it now. I had no idea it would be this simple and effective!

The whole drive to work afterward I was listening for other squeaking spots, as I couldn't believe that many were from that one spot. The only ones I could hear were from the rear windows, which are be a couple bolts away from being fixed.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by catsnmusic
Yes, I now have this. Please keep me posted if you figure it out.
Mary
Oddly enough, based on some of the crap i've read, I opened it up and sprayed silicone grease on the all the up facing tracks on the sunroof and opened/closed it a couple times and it seems to be gtg now..

edit: actually the sunroof made a liar out of me.. It still rattles just as much I think- but sometimes I get in and it doesnt rattle at all for the whole drive.. i dunno. My one door panel that I finally took off and put some felt on no longer rattles tho..

Last edited by geew1z; 11-23-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Has anyone removed the A-pillar? I am pretty sure it just sits on clips and needs to be pulled to get it off but just want to check first. I'm assuming nothing else needs to be removed before?

The A-pillar on the passenger side I'm pretty sure is responsible for some rattles so just want to take it off and apply some foam/felt tape.

In any case, awesome thread! My G has become so much quieter inside, but there is still room for improvement :P

Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Well warranty is up in a few days...Dropped the car off for them to replace the faceplate and the + light for the manumatic mode... I also figured I would mention the annoying sunroof rattle since the warranty is almost done.. They actually are keeping my car overnight and i have the loaner overnight, so I guess it must be a big job to fix it. Awesome thing is that one of the service attendants lives close to me (45 mins from the dealer), so he is going to off my car at my house. I love this dealer.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by geew1z
Awesome thing is that one of the service attendants lives close to me (45 mins from the dealer), so he is going to off my car at my house. I love this dealer.
Why is he going to kill your car at your house?? The problems can't be that serious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY 2003/2004 G35 Sedan rattle exorcism