G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Auto transmission jerk or 'hiccup'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto transmission jerk or 'hiccup'

Anyone experience a hesitation or hiccup when slowly accelerating? I notice this when I am slowly accelerating from a dead stop... usually in 3rd gear. Its like the transmission wants to shift into 4th, jerks a bit like it is going to, but the RPMs continue a bit higher and then finally shifts. It is definitely a physical 'jerk' kinda thing going on, though not all the time. I have my first dealer maintenance this Thursday (3750 mi) and I want to recreate it for him to see if there is something definitely wrong or just me.

So its off to the dealer this Thursday... and yes I too have suffered from the sun roof trim falling out, the detached tether on the gas cap and the 'peppered' front grill. Of course they will replace the first 2 items. I wish someone would make (after market) our exact grill in either a harder plastic. I have seen a few after market grills for our car, but they really don't do anything for me.

BTW I have found a great Infiniti site that lists most of the recalls/service bulletins on our car...

http://www.infinitihelp.com

Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
You will get used to it and you will be amazed how G35's 5-speed transmission reacts.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
I think they will replace your grill to if you say something. I have read a thread on this and I think some people got new grills off the dealer.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone posted a write-up from the service manual, talking about tranny lock-up and partial lock-up. I suspect you may be feeling the partial lock-up, seem to recall third was the earliest gear in which it could occur...?

Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat
Anyone experience a hesitation or hiccup when slowly accelerating? I notice this when I am slowly accelerating from a dead stop... usually in 3rd gear. Its like the transmission wants to shift into 4th, jerks a bit like it is going to, but the RPMs continue a bit higher and then finally shifts. It is definitely a physical 'jerk' kinda thing going on, though not all the time. I have my first dealer maintenance this Thursday (3750 mi) and I want to recreate it for him to see if there is something definitely wrong or just me.

So its off to the dealer this Thursday... and yes I too have suffered from the sun roof trim falling out, the detached tether on the gas cap and the 'peppered' front grill. Of course they will replace the first 2 items. I wish someone would make (after market) our exact grill in either a harder plastic. I have seen a few after market grills for our car, but they really don't do anything for me.

BTW I have found a great Infiniti site that lists most of the recalls/service bulletins on our car...

http://www.infinitihelp.com
What was the result of this visit. I'm getting this jerk/hiccup in my car when I start moving from a stop (around 10-20mph). I'm about to call my dealership for an appointment, but if you have more info, I would appreciate it.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I experience this as well.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
me too when shifting to 3rd gear, it kicks back hard type of thing sometimes.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same problem, is it a bad transmission or what? and if mine is an 03.5 with 6 year 70k warranty, i only have 57k miles on mine right now, will they cover that?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine feels like a "partial lock up" but it's in 1st gear at slight throttle (20% or less) the tranny "hickups" at like 1000-1200 rpms..... then the car goes like normal.

In 1st, I'd think it should be completely smooth up till around 1800 when the stall kicks in.

I tried to show the service manager what it was doing, and he didn't notice anything. But, I couldn't get the car to do it very noticeably when he was in the car.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 PM
yea i get that too.. it wasn't like that when i first got my car.. but i guess rite now im just ignoring the jerk.. haha would like to get it fixed thou

Old 09-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by suby01
me too when shifting to 3rd gear, it kicks back hard type of thing sometimes.
I think this is different from what the OP is describing. Several people have commented on the harsh shift/bang into 3rd at WOT... when shifting with the paddles or auto stick. It's apparently just a quirk of this auto transmission, and was present in the last generation. There's a separate thread on the topic.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by jamjamz
yea i get that too.. it wasn't like that when i first got my car.. but i guess rite now im just ignoring the jerk.. haha would like to get it fixed thou
If you figure out what's wrong and/or get it fixed. LET US KNOW!!

This is one of those quirks that doesn't seem like it'd be easy to diagnose.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Are we talking about the 07 G35 or the earlier models as well?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
If you figure out what's wrong and/or get it fixed. LET US KNOW!!

This is one of those quirks that doesn't seem like it'd be easy to diagnose.
yes will do!!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
The dealership said my hickup was "normal." I don't really buy it.

A few other twitches that I noticed with the tranny.

1. When braking and coming to a stop, the tranny will downshift from 3rd to 1st at about 5-8mph, this keeps you from stopping smoothly. It's basically the REVERSE of what I'm describing when I accelerate slowly from a start.

2. When I lightly brake (in traffic) at about 40mph then give it part throttle again, the tranny is doing something wierd between 5th and 4th gear sometimes and it'll almost clunk into gear. Like there's slack in the drivetrain.

I dunno. I guess it'll have to get worse for the dealership to do something about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auto transmission jerk or 'hiccup'