G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 tips you probably don't know :D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
G35 tips you probably don't know :D

Thought it would be useful to start a thread with handy tidbits about the G that most people don't know. Some I found, most came from here
  • The iKey fobs are two slightly different colors, so you know whose is whose
  • You can set the wheel and mirrors to automatically adjust with you when you move the seat back or forward (premium pkg, I think)
  • You have two different color choices of screen background for the LCD (non-NAV).
  • The auto-close windows and sunroof will rebound while closing if it finds an obstruction. Not suggesting you test this...
  • To keep listening to music or stay on the phone (premium pkg) while shutting the car off, push the start button twice quickly. The engine will cut, but you'll go into Aux mode with no interruption
  • The speed-sensitive wipers affect intermittent wiper speed, accelerating it with car velocity
  • There are TWO, count 'em, two different maintenance alert systems in the '07+ Gs. One is through the LCD, and one is through the warning panel between the tach and speedo. I just switched the warning panel one off (after a false alarm that had me sweating!)

Next?

EDIT:>> Okay, decided to pile the tips into one post, will probably sticky if we keep getting good ones. No-one be offended if you don't get included in the original post, it's not really required and I may not keep up

AesonVirus:
My friend has had his 08 for 6 months now and he didn't know until I told him this past week that he has speed sensitive radio volume.

You cannot lock your fob in the car if you don't have another one on your person. The car beeps and the lock won't work. (Pushing the button on the door) You'd need to use the manual key to lock your fob in the car.
Also, if the fob is in the trunk and you close the lid, the car will beep and the trunk lid will pop back open.

sredish:
I know there's a little money / credit card clip holder or something hidden above the pass. side visor... took me a couple weeks to find that one.

tg1234:
You can roll the windows up while you shut the engine off. I just realized this a few weeks back. I was rolling the windows up and shut the engine off. As long as you started to roll the windows first and shut the engine off second the windows will roll up. (Note: If you open the driver or passenger door, the power will cut off)

terrycs:
ICC users, if it's on, be careful when following a car into a curve. You will find your car accelerating into the turn after him!

IvoryPearl07G:
you can lock the trunk by a deactivation button in the glovebox for valet reasons.

and you can lock the glovebox with your key located in the fob.

a504boi:
there's a cubby for in the rearseat armrest.
there is no cow level (what does this mean...?)

carz:
if your headlights are on auto and you shut off the car at night and not exit the car...the headlights will remain on until you 1) leave 2) shut them off manually

fecurtis:
If you hold the unlock button for a few seconds, all of the windows will go down. To automatically raise all windows, place the valet key in the door keyhole and hold the key in the lock position for af ew seconds.

These methods do not apply to the sunroof.

Robizzle:
It's impossible to lock your keys inside the trunk.

suby01:
you cant open the trunk while your driving/moving.

earth0:
For G35 with NAV you can search destination by entering Phone Number
no address needed.

popcornten:
While playing CDs, if you have other CDs in the changer you can hold the track up or down buttons on the steering wheel and it will cycle to the next CD.

ultimategee27:
For those who have Navi the "where am i" feature is awesome. Tells you the next street coming up...the current street you are on...and the street you just passed...it also tells you how far away you are from each.

soundmike:
You can choose between ICC and regular cruise control by pressing and holding the cruise control button for a couple of seconds. (Note to self, stop skimming through the manual and just read each paragraph!).

silverG2007:
While driving in regular D, the paddle shifters (auto sport) still work. You can upshift or downshift using the paddles. After a short while, the car will automatically go back into D mode. Basically, you don't have to be in DS to use the paddles.

sameerg:
Did you all know, that during dusk, there is a point of time when the sun is hitting the ICC Sensor directly. If you are using ICC at that time, it will fail. It is hard to recreate, but it has happened to me a few times.

fecurtis:
Since we have a keyless ignition, us AT guys don't have much of a "fool proof" fail safe for when you turn the car off without putting it in park. If you turn your car off without putting it in park, when you open the door, your car will begin to chime at you relatively rapidly to let you know that its possible that the car will roll away the second you step out of it.

Ahh I'll never forget seeing my G rolling slowly down the office parking garage. To add to this, on top of chiming at you like crazy, the information center in the gauge cluster will warn you that the car is NOT in park.
(sadly, I've done this too, with fortunately harmless results...)

rpm&my_g35
If you simultaneously hold down the lock and unlock buttons on your I-key for a few seconds it will enable/disable your car beeps/honk when you lock it.
When disabled only the lights flash as usual.

DigMy35X
If you press the status screen it will bring up a few different split screen options. Keep pressing it and it will cycle through a split screen with the audio information on the top with the bottom showing climate, abbreviated GPS turn directions (only if you have a route programmed) and 1 or 2 other screens. It's a lot easier to see the iPod or XM info when you do this.

If you voice dial a phone number you don't have to wait for the 'lady' to repeat the phone number. Once you see it on the screen you can just press enter on the steering wheel and it will dial immediately. Sometimes I just don't have the patience for her to read back all of the numbers!

Stringweave
For those with Ipod sync to make your playlist shuffle press Scan until you have the setting that you may desire...
Ex of some settings: repeat on shuffle off, repeat off shuffle album etc.
I dont think the owners manual explains this either.

InTgr8r

If you get a new cell phone use the 'replace' option when pairing the phone.
That way your phone book will go to the new phone.

DigMy35X

If you press the status button it will show a horizontal split screen. If you keep pressing the status button it will cycle through different options for the bottom of the screen.

So if you are on the iPod or XM it will show the music info in more detail on the top 1/2 of the screen and then cycle through options on the bottom showing climate info and turning directions for the GPS (but you have to have a route programmed in there).

JamesR913

If you hold the enter button down on the steering wheel a screen pops up that allows you to go through a few menus (one of which is information, I dont remember the rest).

Just figured it out the other day.

terrycs

I was playing around this morning on the way to work and was wondering if the engine can be shut down in drive while in motion. Well, I pushed the button and nothing. I then thought I'd push it several times and guess what ... the engine shut down while on the move. (edit: 3 pushes are required)

Last edited by G35Now!; 02-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tidorhp (03-28-2012)
Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
My friend has had his 08 for 6 months now and he didn't know until I told him this past week that he has speed sensitive radio volume.

You cannot lock your fob in the car if you don't have another one on your person. The car beeps and the lock won't work. (Pushing the button on the door) You'd need to use the manual key to lock your fob in the car.
Also, if the fob is in the trunk and you close the lid, the car will beep and the trunk lid will pop back open.

It's all basic stuff that most of us know, but new owners may not be aware.
Cool idea for a new thread!

broke_as_ajoke (09-19-2011)
Old 07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know there's a little money / credit card clip holder or something hidden above the pass. side visor... took me a couple weeks to find that one.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can roll the windows up while you shut the engine off. I just realized this a few weeks back. I was rolling the windows up and shut the engine off. As long as you started to roll the windows first and shut the engine off second the windows will roll up.

Aesonvirus

I think you can lock your key in only one way if you lock your door with the inside bottom and shut the door.

tg

Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
ICC users, if it's on, be careful when following a car into a curve. You will find your car accelerating into the turn after him!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
Terry - LOL

tg, good tip! Note that if you open a door though, power will be cut and the windows will stop rolling up.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
One key clip is definitely different in color from the other.
I'll try to take some pics tonight and if it's noticable in the pics, I'll post them.

The Silver tone is Key # 1
The Gold tone key is # 2

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Not really gold but it is diferent then the other. First I used the silver one for almost a year and hen they had the recall I grabbed the other one. That's when I've noticed wow that looks different. Only the chain part.

tg

RichP1023 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can lock the trunk by a deactivation button in the glovebox for valet reasons.

and you can lock the glovebox with your key located in the fob.

you can go in sideways cirlces if you punch the gas at low speed and turn the tcs off.

Sherbear212 (04-20-2012)
Old 07-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
You can roll the windows up while you shut the engine off. I just realized this a few weeks back. I was rolling the windows up and shut the engine off. As long as you started to roll the windows first and shut the engine off second the windows will roll up.

Aesonvirus

I think you can lock your key in only one way if you lock your door with the inside bottom and shut the door.

tg
Not sure if it's what you meant but:

The power windows/roof will operate normally for about 45 seconds after the ignition switch is pushed to the OFF position. If the driver's or front passenger's door is opened during this period of about 45 seconds, power to the windows is canceled.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
there's a cubby for a gun in the rearseat armrest.
there is no cow level

RaiderAJ5 (04-02-2024)
Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your headlights are on auto and you shut off the car at night and not exit the car...the headlights will remain on until you 1) leave 2) shut them off manually

Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
If you have a passenger who is being unreasonable and a real toolbag, you can pull over, grab the first aid kit, and hand him or her a maxi pad that is supplied with every first aid kit.

If you hold the unlock button for a few seconds, all of the windows will go down. To automatically raise all windows, place the valet key in the door keyhole and hold the key in the lock position for af ew seconds.

These methods do not apply to the sunroof.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
I've looked at both keys under all sorts of light and don't see the gold tint to either of the keys as I've seen people talk about before
same here...they look exactly the same color...but then again, i never got my keys replaced when they were having problems...

Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
It's impossible to lock your keys inside the trunk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 tips you probably don't know :D