G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Trunk won't open

Need help - put my stuff in the trunk in this morning, and now it won't open. I-key does nothing, pushing the button in the back leads to 4 chimes in succession but it won't open. I can't get to the emergency trunk release because trunk just happens to be full of stuff and I can't reach it. I checked the glove compartment release - it is unlocked, tried the driver's side trunk switch - nada. Doors lock/unlock with I-key just fine, panic button works... did the trunk locking mechanism/cable harness go kaput?? I really don't want to go to the dealer because of this as it may be something simple but haven't found anyone have a similar problem via search, and really need to get things out of my car.

EDIT: will try to check the fuses.

Last edited by dohturdima; 11-05-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, fuse is my first thought.

Let us know if it is something else.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Ohio G Club moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
could be cable...or plug connection for trunk release button/key fob entry..if im not mistaken the back seat should fold down and youll be able to access the emergency release.i could be wrong..i have a coupe,sedans may differ

Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I couldn't find a fuse responsible for the trunk release, and don't think we have an emergency release. Off to the dealer Will update. It would really suck if it's the harness that went.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
If the fuse is good, your only other option is to fold down the rear arm rest and try to reach the manual cable release somehow, as the rear seats don't fold down (stupid infiniti).

If not, off to the dealership you go

Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
The emergency cable is located on the trunk lid itself.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
^ What he said. Just got back from the dealership, and on a short notice the tech tied a wire to the trunk release and threaded it through the trunk access door into the salon. I was told that it's either a broken latch or a trunk release electrical harness gone bad. Given that I am fairly gentle when closing the trunk, and there is no obvious visual damage to the latch, my bet is that it is the harness. Will drop it off for the real fix in 4 days, for now will pull the wire from inside to open the trunk

Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Just got back from the dealer. The problem was the wire harness connecting the trunk switch (manual) to the release - somehow these tend to get pinched. Dealer replaced under warrantly in less than 2 hours. I asked how common this problam was in our Gs, and was told it was much more common on the previous gen but occasionally comes up in our cars. Glad to have this taken care of while the car is still in warranty...

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Previous gen like my 04 Sedan had a similar problem but with the Fuel Door. Hope you're not out of fuel when the actuator goes bad. Mine went bad the first week i bought the car brand new, I however wasn't out of fuel so I had enough to make it home then to dealer the following day. The then came out with service bulletin to add a manual release in the trunk behind the trunk lining right by the fuel door. Some things never change.
We rely on so many electrical operated items that when something fails we're screwed. Technology Technology

Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Part II. It has been less than a year since the wire harness controlling the trunk release went bad, and now the problem is back. Well, sort of. Trunk won't open and I would get the dreaded 5 beeps - but a few minutes later when trying again (this time inside the car) trunk will open. It won't open with a fob - but sometimes it will.

I do have the extended warranty and will be taking it in again tomorrow. Have a hard time believing that I am the only one with this issue - anyone else had this happen to them?

Last edited by dohturdima; 05-17-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
nope no issues here thankfully

Old 05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
you can always get someone w/ long arms to reach back there.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
you can always get someone w/ long arms to reach back there.
I have long arms but hate to tie a string to the pulley again. What I can't figure out is that relay - what's causing it to fail, and why is it working some of the time and not other? I'm not slamming the trunk, and haven't installed anything alongside where it is supposed to run.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok, all fixed. Seems a wire in the same trunk relay went kaput, they replaced the relay again. Pretty glad now that I opted for the extended warranty, as I am sure the dealer would have charged at least 2 hours of labor for this - for an issue which I thought was fixed for good the 1st time around.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dohturdima
Just got back from the dealer. The problem was the wire harness connecting the trunk switch (manual) to the release - somehow these tend to get pinched. Dealer replaced under warrantly in less than 2 hours. I asked how common this problam was in our Gs, and was told it was much more common on the previous gen but occasionally comes up in our cars. Glad to have this taken care of while the car is still in warranty...
Can you elaborate by "trunk switch"? Do you mean the button on the back of the trunk? Or the release by the VDC switch near the steering wheel?

In short the exact same thing happened to me last night. Key fob nothing, release from within the car, nothing. However, when I hit the button on the trunk lid, I get the 4 beeps..

Anyone know anything about this?

Doing some quick work last night I saw this was problematic with the first gen and the wires rubbing off when they enter the trunk. However, they apparent got their act together a bit more on the 2nd gen. When I went to the drivers side and pull back the rubber hose all the wires seemed fine. They were nicely attached to the end of the hose and just past that point there is a foam cylinder around the wires to help prevent the rubbing.

I then pulled back the trunk cover a bit and disconnect the wiring harness. There are 3 wires, one of them was black (assuming ground). I think green and purple maybe the others? In anycase I measured a constant 12v coming out of one wire and very low current out of the other. I don't know how fast the voltage fluctuates, but I did not notice any change when pressed the buttons. Of course it could be a current change, many other things, which brings me to my next question.

Anyone have a wiring/circuit diagram of the trunk release?

This doesn't seem like rocket science and I figure I should be able to fix myself and save a few bucks, Just wish I knew what the 4 beeps meant and had some docs on this deal. I have the Hayes manual and that was worthless, nothing on this part of the car.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trunk won't open