G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How maintain a High Miles Infiniti G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone looking to pick up a g35 sedan at roughly 60-70k miles on it... going through this... I feel a lot better about that mileage!!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never been happier!

Hey guys about three and half years ago I purchased my car with 110k and now I have 153k miles. I have maintained this car to the best of my ability, did all the regular maintenance that's recommended by Infiniti and I don't think I've ever been more proud of owning Infiniti than I am with this model. If the V36's are well maintained, I sincerely believe they will last you a very very long time!

Aside from changing the catalytic converter around 115,000 miles, I have not spent a dime more than just basic maintenance on this car.

Hope everyone's cars doing well as mine!

The following users liked this post:
bkd (05-11-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Just surfing through the forums, about to o my 2nd full tune-up. '07x with 182k miles on it. Only ever replaced the upper radiator hose (due to leakage, not a blowout)

Knock on wood - I'm hoping to drive this pig for another 2 years, get some bills paid off, and get me something new

Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 Coupe, 5-AT, Std wheels and suspension. I'm at 112K miles myself, got it at 28K almost 5 years ago.

-Oil&Filter changes every 4000-6000 miles
-New tires when I purchased, New rears, then put on used set for front, then Full set new, 18 months ago, and just a few days ago put on another full new set of Continental PureContact w/ EcoPlus
-Change Diff fluid with Mobil 80-90W at 60K, 90K, again at 120K
-ATF flush around 45K
-Drain and fill ATF, 4 qts at ~85K, only 3 qts at ~100K, then another 4 qts at 111K (was doing it every 2nd oil change, but will do it now every 2nd or 3rd depending on how long I go between changes, shooting for every 15K on average)
-Changed brake pads around 55K, but did not turn rotors. Rotors were right near minimum thickness, and I just figured on replacing pads and rotors a bit sooner than normal for next change. However, I still have around 2/3 of my front pads and about 1/2 of my rear pads left. Noticeable rotor warp now, but I'm living with it for now. Flushed brake fluid at the same time.
-Changed belts at dealer due to noticeable cracking right after I got it, at 30K. Squealing by 60K. Replace myself with Dayco belts, just started squealing occasionally last couple months, so I will be doing this soon, again.
-Replaced original battery 3 years ago, current one still shows very good health.
-Had rear-axle click TSB performed at the same time I was in for the ATF flush
-Replaced driver's window motor last fall around 95K

With the exception of the Flush, Axle-click TSB, tires, and first belt swap, I've done all the work myself.

Coolant still checks out as very healthy, but I plan to do a flush and re-fill in the next year. Need to do the belts, and plant to replace spark plugs as well. Would like to do a complete system drain of the PSF as well, but it's not a high-priority.. maybe in the next 2 years. Brakes are also probably something for Spring or Fall 2015.

I have been hearing a groan, i think from the rear, that changes pitch directly with vehicle speed for the last 20K miles. I hoped it was tire noise, but when I ran my rears into racing-slicks, and now with the new tires, and the sound is exactly the same, I'm thinking wheel bearings. Thinking I'll let that go for now and replace both when I do the brakes. Whichever one I feel the need for first will move the other up on my maintenance schedule as well.

Other character items my car has developed:
-Leaks in the front of the driver window seal, but only in car washes with high-pressure water and blow-dryers (a handy towel takes care of it)
-Driver-side convenience entry button stopped working a couple years ago
-CD Changer crapped out a couple years ago
-Driver seat sounds like it's missing a tooth in a gear for moving fore-aft, probably from getting kids in and out almost every day, twice a day (back and forth all the way at least 8 times a day!)

And then there are the "WTH was that?!" gremlins I've seen 5 or 6 times in the last 2 years:
-Shift lever for the AT vibrates noticeably when in very low RPM, under decent load in 4th or 5th gear (like maintaining 35-38 mph on a slight incline, under just enough throttle to avoid transmission dropping into a lower gear)
-Radio stops accepting commands from main buttons, but responds to steering wheel mounted controls. Display does not change, and I cannot turn it off. I have to turn the car completely off for 10-15+ seconds to get it to work normally again. Only happened 2 or 3 times, but it's still a head scratcher.

All in all, there's nothing that makes me enjoy the car any less, and as long as the running bits are working well and performing strong, I'm going to happily cruise this lovely car well into the 200K's before I consider looking for a new ride. I'm putting in around 20K a year now, so that should be at least another 5 years. I could see myself rolling through 300K with this car easily.. it just has a look and design that won't get old any time soon!

Last edited by Marlin84; 06-30-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm back. Now with 198000 miles and going strong. Since I last checked in I had all my front bushings replaced because my lower control arm bushing went bad for (I think) the 3rd time.
I choose all bushing just for the heck of it. It rides a bit tighter and ruffed. The new bushings caused a squeak for a while till they got broken in- my mechanic said it is normal. The top of my radiator cracked and it had to be replaced. I had to replace my clock spring because my horn stopped honking when I was going straight. Only worked when wheel was turned all the way to the right. My radio controls didn't work either, but my cruise control did on my wheel. The clockspring fixed both issues. I'm soon going to had my plugs changed for the 2nd time. First done at 105000 miles. Also will need to complete transmission flush and rear differential flush. Both were last done around 165000 miles.
My g35 is still going strong. I purchased it brand new in 2005 with like 7 miles on it. When I hit 50000 miles I first started to get annoyed that my car is getting old. then I hit 100000 miles and my heart felt like my car is almost done and dead. Now with almost 200000 miles it is becoming a challage to hit 300000 miles.

My back leather seats have tear marks due to bringing my dogs to work everyday and I'm in AZ with hot weather. I finally put up a dog car seat cover to help. My arm rest also had a tear from the dogs and I've had to fix it.
Bring on the miles- I'm ready for you.

G Wiz (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:09 PM
07 g35s

I have a 07 G35S 6MT that I bought new and then added all the Stillen bolt ons that has 125k on the clock. I beat the tar out of it and take it in for regular service. Solid car.

G Wiz (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by deleo14
I'm back. Now with 198000 miles and going strong. Since I last checked in I had all my front bushings replaced because my lower control arm bushing went bad for (I think) the 3rd time.
I choose all bushing just for the heck of it. It rides a bit tighter and ruffed. The new bushings caused a squeak for a while till they got broken in- my mechanic said it is normal. The top of my radiator cracked and it had to be replaced. I had to replace my clock spring because my horn stopped honking when I was going straight. Only worked when wheel was turned all the way to the right. My radio controls didn't work either, but my cruise control did on my wheel. The clockspring fixed both issues. I'm soon going to had my plugs changed for the 2nd time. First done at 105000 miles. Also will need to complete transmission flush and rear differential flush. Both were last done around 165000 miles.
My g35 is still going strong. I purchased it brand new in 2005 with like 7 miles on it. When I hit 50000 miles I first started to get annoyed that my car is getting old. then I hit 100000 miles and my heart felt like my car is almost done and dead. Now with almost 200000 miles it is becoming a challage to hit 300000 miles.

My back leather seats have tear marks due to bringing my dogs to work everyday and I'm in AZ with hot weather. I finally put up a dog car seat cover to help. My arm rest also had a tear from the dogs and I've had to fix it.
Bring on the miles- I'm ready for you.
Wow, seems really encouraging! These engines are really solid and as you have reported it's mostly auxiliary stuff that gets problems, not too bad.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 PM
For your stereo / dash issues, try these guys:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/infiniti.htm

Had the same issue about a year ago and they fixed it for me.

Originally Posted by Marlin84
'06 Coupe, 5-AT, Std wheels and suspension. I'm at 112K miles myself, got it at 28K almost 5 years ago.

-Oil&Filter changes every 4000-6000 miles
-New tires when I purchased, New rears, then put on used set for front, then Full set new, 18 months ago, and just a few days ago put on another full new set of Continental PureContact w/ EcoPlus
-Change Diff fluid with Mobil 80-90W at 60K, 90K, again at 120K
-ATF flush around 45K
-Drain and fill ATF, 4 qts at ~85K, only 3 qts at ~100K, then another 4 qts at 111K (was doing it every 2nd oil change, but will do it now every 2nd or 3rd depending on how long I go between changes, shooting for every 15K on average)
-Changed brake pads around 55K, but did not turn rotors. Rotors were right near minimum thickness, and I just figured on replacing pads and rotors a bit sooner than normal for next change. However, I still have around 2/3 of my front pads and about 1/2 of my rear pads left. Noticeable rotor warp now, but I'm living with it for now. Flushed brake fluid at the same time.
-Changed belts at dealer due to noticeable cracking right after I got it, at 30K. Squealing by 60K. Replace myself with Dayco belts, just started squealing occasionally last couple months, so I will be doing this soon, again.
-Replaced original battery 3 years ago, current one still shows very good health.
-Had rear-axle click TSB performed at the same time I was in for the ATF flush
-Replaced driver's window motor last fall around 95K

With the exception of the Flush, Axle-click TSB, tires, and first belt swap, I've done all the work myself.

Coolant still checks out as very healthy, but I plan to do a flush and re-fill in the next year. Need to do the belts, and plant to replace spark plugs as well. Would like to do a complete system drain of the PSF as well, but it's not a high-priority.. maybe in the next 2 years. Brakes are also probably something for Spring or Fall 2015.

I have been hearing a groan, i think from the rear, that changes pitch directly with vehicle speed for the last 20K miles. I hoped it was tire noise, but when I ran my rears into racing-slicks, and now with the new tires, and the sound is exactly the same, I'm thinking wheel bearings. Thinking I'll let that go for now and replace both when I do the brakes. Whichever one I feel the need for first will move the other up on my maintenance schedule as well.

Other character items my car has developed:
-Leaks in the front of the driver window seal, but only in car washes with high-pressure water and blow-dryers (a handy towel takes care of it)
-Driver-side convenience entry button stopped working a couple years ago
-CD Changer crapped out a couple years ago
-Driver seat sounds like it's missing a tooth in a gear for moving fore-aft, probably from getting kids in and out almost every day, twice a day (back and forth all the way at least 8 times a day!)

And then there are the "WTH was that?!" gremlins I've seen 5 or 6 times in the last 2 years:
-Shift lever for the AT vibrates noticeably when in very low RPM, under decent load in 4th or 5th gear (like maintaining 35-38 mph on a slight incline, under just enough throttle to avoid transmission dropping into a lower gear)
-Radio stops accepting commands from main buttons, but responds to steering wheel mounted controls. Display does not change, and I cannot turn it off. I have to turn the car completely off for 10-15+ seconds to get it to work normally again. Only happened 2 or 3 times, but it's still a head scratcher.

All in all, there's nothing that makes me enjoy the car any less, and as long as the running bits are working well and performing strong, I'm going to happily cruise this lovely car well into the 200K's before I consider looking for a new ride. I'm putting in around 20K a year now, so that should be at least another 5 years. I could see myself rolling through 300K with this car easily.. it just has a look and design that won't get old any time soon!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 PM
All this is awesome to read. I have 78,xxx on my 08 sedan. I bought it with 39,xxx miles on it. Its been great. I've just done the normal maintenance.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I'm just going to leave this here for anyone arriving here from a search:

How to maintain a high mileage G35??

I'd say you absolutely want to make sure you have the oil pressure measured!

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post6945877

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-pressure.html

Old 03-23-2018, 12:50 AM
High mileage

I bought my g35 sedan with 159k miles and it's an 07 as for care idk what this car had done to maintain it I've already put 4 k miles on it extra but just clean your motor get new injectors etc your car will tell you if something's gonna go wrong .

Old 03-23-2018, 04:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mines 162k miles on 07 5AT. I just do oil changes and keep fluids at a good amount .-. Running like a champ. And I race it sometimes lol

Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Very encouraging thread

A year ago I bought a 2007 G35x with 12000 miles on it. I changed all the fluids in prep for a Canadian winter and all went well except that the lowered front end does not plow snow well.

Quick question....how frequently should I change my synthetic oil or should I even be using synthetic oil? Factory change recommendations seem very frequent. Car is no longer on warranty due to age.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:48 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Depends, I've seen everything from 6k to 15k recommended, personally I go 6k when using synthetic (or use the ECU's oil life indicator if equipped) however I always stick with the manufacturer recommend TYPE of oil for a vehicle so I don't run synthetic in my G.

Congrats on the low mile purchase.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by overland
A year ago I bought a 2007 G35x with 12000 miles on it. I changed all the fluids in prep for a Canadian winter and all went well except that the lowered front end does not plow snow well.

Quick question....how frequently should I change my synthetic oil or should I even be using synthetic oil? Factory change recommendations seem very frequent. Car is no longer on warranty due to age.
I put a lot of KMs on my car so I use Castrol Edge Extended so I don't need to change it as often.

It's supposed to be good for 24000KMs between changes. I only push it to about 15K-20K or about 2.5 oil changes per year. Works great so far!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How maintain a High Miles Infiniti G35?