G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sedan RWD
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  14.7 KB

This is what I am talking about. I see other cars have same thing, but my original steering wheel is indeed darker (black) that match well with interior color. Or is it just that it got dirty over time so it appears darker...ha

Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by scorpkev

This is what I am talking about. I see other cars have same thing, but my original steering wheel is indeed darker (black) that match well with interior color. Or is it just that it got dirty over time so it appears darker...ha
It's normal for brand new leather, like on our newly replaced steering wheels, to look much lighter than a well worn steering wheel. Consider the thousands of miles of you driving your vehicle...and all the oils from your hand get rubbed into the steering wheel. Take a look at the brand new leather seats in a graphite G, then the worn seats in a used G. The leather in the used G will look darker, shinier, and smoother.

I love leather for these reasons because it will wear-in/break-in over time, showing character and patina. My leather shoes look darker than they did when I first bought them...same with my leather belt, leather guitar strap, leather gloves, etc. You get the idea.

If you want to speed up the process, purchase some leather conditioner, such as Lexol, and rub it into the steering wheel. I promise you it will look darker.

Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Originally Posted by theophilus
Take a look at the brand new leather seats in a graphite G, then the worn seats in a used G. The leather in the used G will look darker, shinier, and smoother.

If you want to speed up the process, purchase some leather conditioner, such as Lexol, and rub it into the steering wheel. I promise you it will look darker.
You got a very good pt. New graphite leather seat looks lighter than mine old graphite seat (much darker/black). I was quite confused as to why same graphite interior have such different color variation.

I do have Lexol conditioner, I will rub it from time to time, I personally prefer black to match everything else in the car.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I have a graphite loner today. The steering wheel does seem lighter than the rest of the interior.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Asked my SA to look at the trim peeling, and they replaced the wheel no questions asked

Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I just got mine back from the dealer today, It was peeling, the guy told me he was going to take care of it under warranty, Looks like new, seems as if they painted it.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I had my steering wheel and driver side window switch replaced by Fields Infiniti / Chicago burbs. All I did was mention it to the service writer and they had it done quick, parts in stock. What does that tell you?

My new steering wheel is identical to the one on the 2011 in the showroom. A harder textured surface that certainly doesn't appear to be scratchable... I did try on the 2011 and not a mark.

One of my buddies in Cleveland took his in today and they ordered the parts. Service writer said she never heard of the issue.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by pricojorge
I just got mine back from the dealer today, It was peeling, the guy told me he was going to take care of it under warranty, Looks like new, seems as if they painted it.
LOL, they did not paint it, it's all one piece.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my car for 4 years and 2 months and I'm experiencing the same issue. Keep in mind my car only has 15k miles. Am I still covered under warranty?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can someone post a pic of their scratched steering wheel?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
There is a downside in the steering wheel replacement, FYI. I have the tech package, and the new wheel I got does not have the "Ok" button function (where you push in on the left up/down toggle), and there is no "back" button on the wheel. You have to use the back button on the dash now. Some what annoying.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Culture
There is a downside in the steering wheel replacement, FYI. I have the tech package, and the new wheel I got does not have the "Ok" button function (where you push in on the left up/down toggle), and there is no "back" button on the wheel. You have to use the back button on the dash now. Some what annoying.
You better take that back and ask them to fix that. They put the wrong one in.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 AM
G35 Sedan RWD
seriously, they put the wrong steering wheel (at least the face plate is), that is for non-navi/non tech g35.

I just got mine replaced, of course, it has all the buttons. u better complain your a$$ off to this sorry dealer.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
+1, i have tech and other than the lack of scratches and nicer looking leather, everything looks the same. You got the wrong wheel.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just had my wheel replaced under warantee for about a 1cm x 1cm peel of the black rubberized finish. No questions asked, they ordered the wheel and installed it the following day when it came in.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?