G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Sunroof Stuck Open..Help..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing here. I had two screws come out all the way. I had noticed that the sunroof would make kind of a clunk noise when operating the motor. I recently purchased the car and it worked fine so I didn't think too much of it until it wouldn't close today. One of the screws fell when I removed the light fixture and the other one was all the way in the front corner by the rearview mirror. I pulled down the corner of the sunglass bezel and pulled it out. To re-install, I drilled 2 holes in the plastic that is behind the light fixture and screwed all 3 screws tight. The sunroof wouldn't do anything so I loosened all 3 screws jiggled the motor around and tightened them back up.. Now the sunroof would go from tilted up a little to tilted all the way. I read in the owners manual about the recalibration method, followed it to the letter and it works perfectly now. No clunk when operating anymore.

I drilled the holes so I wouldn't have to pull down the headliner and worry about creasing it.
Easy to do, only takes a little while.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chadster2049
Same thing here. I had two screws come out all the way. I had noticed that the sunroof would make kind of a clunk noise when operating the motor. I recently purchased the car and it worked fine so I didn't think too much of it until it wouldn't close today. One of the screws fell when I removed the light fixture and the other one was all the way in the front corner by the rearview mirror. I pulled down the corner of the sunglass bezel and pulled it out. To re-install, I drilled 2 holes in the plastic that is behind the light fixture and screwed all 3 screws tight. The sunroof wouldn't do anything so I loosened all 3 screws jiggled the motor around and tightened them back up.. Now the sunroof would go from tilted up a little to tilted all the way. I read in the owners manual about the recalibration method, followed it to the letter and it works perfectly now. No clunk when operating anymore.

I drilled the holes so I wouldn't have to pull down the headliner and worry about creasing it.
Easy to do, only takes a little while.
Could you post a picture of where you drilled the screws? My sunroof has been making clunking and shuttering sounds. Sometimes it would attempt to close and pop back open. I thought it was just cold and ice formed around the area which made it stuck... but after reading this thread I think my sunroof roof is messed up

Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Where do the screws go?

I found the loose screw in the light fixture just as others have done. However, I am confused as to where this screw goes? When I pull down the headliner, I don't really see any place to put the screw and I don't understand how I could tighten a screw by just pulling the headliner down slightly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Had the same exact problem on my '08 G35, and the fix by Joesuf2000 and Jayzala worked perfectly! The left screw was loose, and the right one had fallen out. Only took 10 minutes to fix. The only adds I have are to use the old fingernail polish trick on the screws before putting them back in, and to maybe push the moonroof control button to the position that the roof is currently stuck in, i.e. tilted for mine, before fixing the screws to maintain alignment. Worked for me. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the post

I just fixed my 2007 G35 sunroof in 20min following the info in this thread. Thanks a million! My roof was stuck open, and had one screw out (fallen into the lights) and another loose. Once I tightened them up, I had to hold the switch in the forward (close/tilt) position for about 30 seconds to get it to reset. Then it worked fine.
I was able to close the roof manually with the hex key, so that would be a solution even if the motor was really dead. It seems that $300-700 for these repairs are outrageous.
Thanks again for the posts.
-KMC

Old 12-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to thank everyone for the fantastic write ups. I was able to complete this repair in around 20 min without removing the headliner at all. Happy to be a part of the community!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
My 06 coupe do the whole clunking noise last night. Come to find out it was the two screws deal... Needless to say the hardest part about fixing it was trying to figure out what position the sunroof needed to be at in order for the sunroof to close/open all the way and the tilt mode. Took in all about 30 mins to fix the problem. Tho I'm going to take it apart again an put some lock tight on all three screws. By the way I didn't have to any holes in the light fixture! May just be a Sedan thing idk

Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Sunroof clicking

I have the same problem but I don't understand. Can u pop out the the center where the lights and the switch is. Or do I have to drop the whole front head liner. Or can I just pop the center off with a flat head? I tried popping the center part off on the head liner where the switch is but it look like it don't want to pop out.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Take the light covers off first. You can read a few of the posts again and figure out how to get to the screws after you get the light covers off and work your way up to the sunroof screws. You do not need to drop the headliner itself. Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 AM
thats exactly where the screw was! does the light have to come out completely? Whats the work around? I have most of the head liner down(just lowered as much as the velcro will allow me) Is there video?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:07 AM
My G35 06 sedan's sunroof gets stuck when trying to open it fully towards the back, I am able to bring it back to a closed position and tilt it upwards though.

I have the extended warranty for a few thousand miles more, the dealer wants to charge me $2,500.00, he insists is not covered by the warranty.

I see everyone here with the warranty got it covered, I can't find any specific exception in the warranty brochure I got, am I missing something?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by 300hp
My G35 06 sedan's sunroof gets stuck when trying to open it fully towards the back, I am able to bring it back to a closed position and tilt it upwards though.

I have the extended warranty for a few thousand miles more, the dealer wants to charge me $2,500.00, he insists is not covered by the warranty.

I see everyone here with the warranty got it covered, I can't find any specific exception in the warranty brochure I got, am I missing something?
What extended warranty do you have? Most people here that mention an extended warranty have the Infiniti Elite plan which is sold by Infiniti.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
What extended warranty do you have? Most people here that mention an extended warranty have the Infiniti Elite plan which is sold by Infiniti.
Thanks for your reply, it is the Infiniti Elite Plan, I bought my G35 last year from the Infiniti dealer and added the warranty for an additional 24,000 miles.

Dealer told me the sunroof is not included and they have always charged additionally (same thing with the engine timing belt), and I don't see it as an exclusion in the Elite Protection Program panflet they provided me with.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
There is actually a list of all the things the Elite warranty carries. I've seen it posted here numerous times.

Here you go: http://admin.webmakerx.net/images/Si...20Brochure.pdf

Look all through that and see what you see. I think the sunroof is in the 73XXX section.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Stuck Open..Help..