G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY

Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harp00n
please, make some photos of the interior with this new CF wrap!
I'm waiting to see if my dealership will fix a rattle in my instrument cluster before switching out my steering wheel so it might be a little while before I install this. I'll take photos afterwards for sure!

Originally Posted by cbrseadude
Good to know, could probably do the door switch bezels that way also.
I thought about this too. Most of it should be easy to cover since it's pretty straight. However, it might not work because of the shape of the button holes. There'd be some parts that won't be able to be covered with a single strip of the wrap. It might be blendable with an additional strip or two for the curving part of the button hole though.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Good news, a fellow member, harp00n, found the part numbers for just the trim pieces! The bad news is that you might not be able to order them at your dealership due to (import?) policies. Original post here and here.

Nissan 48463-JK06A LIDSTEERING,RH - Black (only cruise-control hole)
Nissan 48463-JK06B LIDSTEERING,RH - Beige (only cruise-control hole)

Nissan 48463-JK07A LIDSTEERING,RH - Black (both cruise-control and Navi/Bluetooth hole)
Nissan 48463-JK07B LIDSTEERING,RH - Beige (both cruise-control and Navi/Bluetooth hole)

Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the same issue with the scratched up steering wheel. 2008 G35 is out of warranty so likely can't get replacement for free - can't hurt to ask. If not, I found what looks like the replacement part just for the steering wheel trim at the links below but there aren't any photos so I can't tell if this is actually the part I'm after. Anyone know for sure if this is the correct part?

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/Item...054-198139.htm

http://www.everythingnissan.com/Niss...84654y900-.htm

Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I managed to get the trim piece delivered as well. I started out ordering 48463-JK07A from http://www.orderinfinitiparts.com. I also browsed the parts diagram and ordered 48465-4Y900 from them because it has the same name "steering wheel lid." Don't get that last one - it ended up being a button-sized piece of plastic.

I got an Email back a couple of days later from orderinfinitiparts that said my part was discontinued (they didn't specify which part). I them contacted OCinfinity, and they said they had one of the trim pieces in stock and sent it right out.

A couple of days later, I got the Email from orderinfinitiparts that my order was shipped, and they charged the full amount. Today, both packages arrived, and I'm now the proud owner of two perfect steering wheel trims! Apparently orderinfinitiparts was able to get the trim after all. Don't ask for my spare because I'm afraid I'll have to replace it again in the future. Just go order one yourself before Infiniti shuts this down!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
So Daeven - part # 48463-JK07A is the correct part?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 PM
It's the right part for my car - dark grey interior, with bluetooth/navi. I have the 2008 G35x with the navigation system. I think it is the same for any of the same generation as long as you have factory bluetooth, plus the right interior color.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by mgrove
Having the same issue with the scratched up steering wheel. 2008 G35 is out of warranty so likely can't get replacement for free - can't hurt to ask. If not, I found what looks like the replacement part just for the steering wheel trim at the links below but there aren't any photos so I can't tell if this is actually the part I'm after. Anyone know for sure if this is the correct part?

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/Item...054-198139.htm

http://www.everythingnissan.com/Niss...84654y900-.htm
The part you linked at www.infinitipartsusa.com is not the trim part you want. That is the button-sized cover that seems to have the same description (steering wheel lid). I was not able to find the trim piece by browsing the parts diagrams. You will need to order the part from a site which allows you to search for the part 48463-JK07A (or the correct part number based on your vehicle - see earlier in this thread).

Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 PM
I just finished replacing my trim. The most difficult part for me was getting the airbag screws out. The directions say they are T-30 security torx screws, but they weren't a perfect fit on mine. I butchered up the screw heads badly. I got one out with the proper driver, and used a small vice grips between the trim pieces to remove the other. I will be ordering new screws.

The other issue I noticed someone might have is reinstalling the spring-loaded metal frame piece. Make sure you get the bottom edge lined up properly in the groove. You'll know it's wrong if you tighten down the screws and then the piece doesn't move against the springs. I assume this means your horn will either not work or will be stuck on.

Thanks harp00n for locating the part numbers!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Changing the steering Bezel is ok but according to the instructions, you need to replace the Torx screws and bezel screws and beware your warranty on Airbag will be void if you did anything with AIRBAG removal and reinstall (that's the warning I was given by a certified mechanic). So I took the car to dealer and had steering wheel bezel replaced by dealer on 07 G35 sedan - no charge.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by cvipgo
your warranty on Airbag will be void
This is a common misconception.

According to the US Federal Trade Commission:
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.”

Yes, the dealership can void your warranty, but it is up to THEM to prove that your tampering with the airbag or airbag screws led to some malfunction. The torque specifications for the two airbag screws are well documented, so as long as you did it correctly, the dealership will have trouble proving their denied warranty claim.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by mikaly
This is a common misconception.

According to the US Federal Trade Commission:
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work.”

Yes, the dealership can void your warranty, but it is up to THEM to prove that your tampering with the airbag or airbag screws led to some malfunction. The torque specifications for the two airbag screws are well documented, so as long as you did it correctly, the dealership will have trouble proving their denied warranty claim.
The above statements are true but here's the issue: According to ESM instructions, you need to use new Torx screws for the airbag and torque to correct specification with certified torque wrench, if you can follow the instruction to the letter and can document what you did then you are fine otherwise if something happens and AIRBAG malfunctions and you get hurt seriously, I bet my copper plated zinc penny that you will be stranded with more than few bucks of savings in changing the bezel. The steering bezel are being issued to Infiniti dealers to replace the bezel instead of whole steering wheel by Infiniti/Nissan to save their cost for bezel peeling issue and there's an ITB for the issue. If you work with your dealer they may replace it for free as the cost is low. Part about $10 and it takes an Infiniti mechanic no more than 1/2 an hour to do the work.Total cost less than $100 max. I just had bezel replaced two weeks ago on 07 G35 by my dealer - for free. Earlier Infiniti has been refusing to cover the issue as the dealers were replacing the steering wheels. Good Luck

Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo
The above statements are true but here's the issue: According to ESM instructions, you need to use new Torx screws for the airbag and torque to correct specification with certified torque wrench, if you can follow the instruction to the letter and can document what you did then you are fine otherwise if something happens and AIRBAG malfunctions and you get hurt seriously, I bet my copper plated zinc penny that you will be stranded with more than few bucks of savings in changing the bezel. The steering bezel are being issued to Infiniti dealers to replace the bezel instead of whole steering wheel by Infiniti/Nissan to save their cost for bezel peeling issue and there's an ITB for the issue. If you work with your dealer they may replace it for free as the cost is low. Part about $10 and it takes an Infiniti mechanic no more than 1/2 an hour to do the work.Total cost less than $100 max. I just had bezel replaced two weeks ago on 07 G35 by my dealer - for free. Earlier Infiniti has been refusing to cover the issue as the dealers were replacing the steering wheels. Good Luck
Obviously I can't know this for certain, but I'd bet more than a nickel that, unless they damaged them when removing them, the dealership that replaced that bezel for you didn't replace those torx screws. Just sayin.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Obviously I can't know this for certain, but I'd bet more than a nickel that, unless they damaged them when removing them, the dealership that replaced that bezel for you didn't replace those torx screws. Just sayin.
You lost your nickel but I'll let you keep it, I have the work order /invoice with part numbers of 2 new Torx screws along with bezel part number that were replaced.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm new here and a new owner so I'll introduce myself. My name is Billy and I just bought a 2007 G35 Sedan with 56,000 miles.

I have wrapped my steering wheel, window switch plates and all the brushed aluminum dash pieces in CF in my car already. All the factory rubberized finish was pretty scratched and you could tell where someone had just painted over it. I think the outcome came out pretty well.

I am also in progress of wrapping the chrome pieces on the exterior of the car around the windows and the lip on the rear where the camera is. These will be wrapped in a black vinyl.

Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY-img_1029.jpg   Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY-img_1028.jpg   Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY-img_1025.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
much appreciated! i had looked at replacing my steering wheel with one from a tech package to get the hands-free phone buttons, then i was going to integrate it to my parrot bluetooth system but i lost the ambition. maybe this upcoming spring.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Trim Removal/Replacement DIY